Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: BigPond Modem settings...

Hi cleofer,

I am sure the community will have some suggestions for you, but have you tried contacting technical support on 133 933 yet?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cleofer
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, yes i have contacted them and they could not figure it out. Reading alot of the threads here i see that there was an update with the firmware for the modem. Not too sure if this is what is causing the issue as they all seem to be experiencing the same issue with internet dropping out. How am i to update the firmware if the modem cant establish a stable connection? All that tech team did was raise a level 2 service request which is going to take another week and not to sure if that will actually fix the problem. Could i take my modem to the local telstra team and have them update it?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'll get a member of our CrowdSupport tech team to advise you on firmware updates after the weekend.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi cleofer, 

The latest firmware for the TG587 is 10.3.U.9.B

The issue you are describing sound like a line issue,  I would recommend waiting until the level 2 team have completed investigations, they should be able to send out a field technician to investigate and clear the fault.

Let us know how you get on.

- Ben D

snuffles1

Re: BigPond Modem settings HELP NEEDED PLEASE FOR BELKIN WIRELESS ROUTER

HI

Can some please help, I have tried with telstra a few times as usual they are no help of I get told to look on the back of the desktop internet modem which i did already.

I am trying to connect my belkin wireless router for my tablet to my desktop bigpond internet and when I go to connect it it connects to the bigpond internet and asks for SSID OR KEYCODE and it says i must get it off the person who set the internet up WHICH IS TELSTRA but every time I ring i get told its on the back of the modem..

I have tried every single code on the back of the modem three or four times and it says it is incorrect so it obviously is not that. PLEASE HELP ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY I JUST WANT TO CONNECT IT TO USE THE INTERNET ON THE TABLET. if i cannot connect it I dont get signal for the internet to work

Thank you 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Snuffles, 

Unfortunately we don't supply Belkin Modems, which would be why you're having issues getting assistance with this. Have you checked on Belkin's help page? It can be found here: http://www.belkin.com/au/support

Brodie

snuffles1

Hi Brody 

Thank you for that funnily enough it had been working and connected for months then we lost the internet and now I can not recoonect it back 

Thank you 

PanPan

Hi all,

when i log in 192.168.0.1, i just keep getting prompt saying i need user name and pass word? i've tried bigpond password, modem default password. but neighter of them work. please help!!~~~~

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi PanPan, 

To access your modem the default "admin + password" should allow you access. I would recommend calling 133 933 if you are not able to gain access. -Patrice

lmstearn
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi there,
The issue here is downloading files more than around 300 mb via http on an ADSL2 connection in a rural location.
With Chrome there is no error, just a corrupt file of smaller byte size.
With IE there is better performance, but the odds of getting anything larger than around 700mb is slim.

Looking at the THOMSON ST5x6v6 rouster page- it's all changed. Kinda nice, but want to view the timeout parms.

Service Selection
 You need to select the service you want to connect to.

Select the service of your DSL account. Click Next to continue.

Select a service:
  BigPond Advanced    BigPond    Bridge    Routed PPP    
Description of selected service:

The help only provides instructions for the last two items in the listbox. The first one is already selected, but I do not wish to change the password at the next prompt.

Or do you suggest modifications of values to the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller" for things like transmit/receive buffers or tweak Jumbo Frame, autodisable gigabits etc.

Something to make the downloading experience more reliable, perhaps at the expense of speed.

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
lmstearn

Anyone?

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Imstearn,

Instead of trying to change the modem settings, have you tried reporting the issue to Tech Support so that they can test for a possible line fault?   

When it comes to ADSL services, I would recommend that you perform basic troubleshooting steps as outlined below before calling Tech Support to investigate further.

ADSL Isolation: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

WiFi Troubleshooting: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

- Shelly

lmstearn

Hi Shelly

Thanks for the response, and the very good troubleshooting guide.

Look - ah- been through all this before. Kind of. Not using WiFi or anything like that, only one ansering machine which is filtered.

The errors are fairly infrequent, but when a download is lost, that's the monthly allocation gone.

They most likely register as session timeouts this end, and most servers don't wait for long.

Very occasionally there is a hiccup in browsing with the STV6 unable to connect..

But this doesn't happen for long, but long enough to interrupt a possible http D/L

Noticed the local backbone has been attended to a few times by service personnel. Being a rural area, the chief suspects are the actual lines connected to it.

Do your records indicate tests carried out in this area before?

There seems to be less errors when operating outside peak times/ Anything from 1500 to 1900 especially.

A wishlist item is for a robust logging system this end and on the backbone/hub. Spikes and timeouts that coincide then can be analysed.

Another wishlist item is for Telstra to offer a service where it can intercept and automatically "chunk" large downloads somehow.

Another item on the wishlist might include Telstra making some kind of register of failed downloads and crediting the client for them. But then is Telstra going to pay for faults on international servers?

Technical Support
Technical Support

Imstearn,

If there is a fault in the network, then this needs to be reported and tinkering with the modem isn't actually going to be the solution. 

When you contact Tech Support, they will check that you have performed some basic troubleshooting while they perform tests on the network. If the test results indicate a fault within the network a technician will be organised to attend. If there are no obvious issues, it will be sent to the next level of testers who have access to tools that can provide information regarding the disconnections on your service and they will organise a technician to attend and provide information useful to the tech who is attending.

It may be possible that there is a known issue in the area that requires planning and approval before major repairs can be done. If that is the case, then the more faults reported related to that outage, the higher priority that work receives.

Either way, tinkering with modem settings isn't the solution. Calling Tech Support is.

- Shelly

grandwebz

Hi guys, need help badly.

I have a bigpond cable modem from telstra, and i currently play video games on my PS4

thru the modem. I am having trouble with my NAT type being strict on most video games.

Stopping me from playing most popular games with friends.

I have been reading forums telling me it has something to do with my modem or my IP adress

but i am lost in knowing how to change it.

please help if you have expirienced this problem.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Grandwebz,

There have been a few suggestions throughout the forum, mainly being to bridge certain modems to attach an alternate modem. What model modem do you have?

Brodie

Franganistan
Level 2: Rookie

BigPond Modem PPPoE settings...

My Technicolor modem has the user name in the PPPoE settings as:-    newdsluser@bigpond.com

I do not know what the password is as it was never advised to me when the modem was set up.

This isn't my Bigpond user name.  What should be the username in the PPPoE settings in the modem?  How do I find out the password?

CD

Technical Support
Technical Support

Re: BigPond Modem PPPoE settings...

Hi Franganistan,

newdsluser@bigpond.com is the default username that comes in all ADSL modems supplied by BigPond. You shouldn't need the password as it is hard coded into the modems firmware.

If you are unable to access the internet, then you will need to update this with your BigPond username and password. If you are not sure what they are, please contact Tech Support on 133 933 so that they can assist you with this.

- Shelly

Life_of_Brian

Hi, I have a TG587n V3 modem that was sent to me when I first joined Telstra. I already have my own modem so the Telstra supplied modem basically sat in it's box for the last 2 years apart from me testing to see if it connected faster than my existing modem.

I have a friend with a Telstra business account that needs a new modem so I offered them my TG587. I took the modem to their place & connected it & updated the user name & password to their detailsto connect to ADSL. I set a new wifi user name & password and it worked.

The modem then lost sync & wouldn't connect again. I found out that the user name & password reverted back to my original settings from when I first received the modem. I have tried a factory reset on the modem & run the wizard but if the modem powers off or drops sync, or even after a reset, the settings revert back to my original settings.

Is there anyway around this so my friend can use this modem? Seems a waste having it just sitting there doing nothing. I asked on another forum & this was the reply I got but I am not sure where to go from here.

"Its BigPonds buggy RMS system. Its quite likley the modem will keep reverting back to the original customers username/password until the serial number gets manually removed to the RMS data base."

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Franganistan

The modem when re-set reverts back to an internal username and password.  Not sure who does that or how it works.  Found that when i got the NBN running properly the username and password had to be the default internal ones.

Subsequently modem has performed flawlessly, albeit the NBN speed has dropped a bit.  Told by contacts in Telstra that the speed drop back to ADSL speeds is normal.  May be able to find out how to change internal password etc on modem manufacturers website or via a web search.

If you are trying to use the modem on ADSL you can set the PPPoE settings to the ADSL settings and this will work, but will revert to internal settings if modem re-set etc.

One problem I did find with using my Bigpond ADSL username and password was that the modem would then not allow a connection to my GMail account.

Life_of_Brian

Bump, anyone?

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Brian, 

Can you provide me with the modem's serial number and I can check the the RMS data base for you.

- Ben

Life_of_Brian

Hi Ben,

Thank you for responding. S/N CP1304SASW1.

Technical Support
Technical Support

Thanks Brian,

I've cleared that serial number from our RMS system.  Please try factory resetting the modem again and setting it up with your friends details.

- Ben 

Life_of_Brian

Thanks Ben, will go over to their place on the weekend & give it a shot. Appreciate the reply.

Ozkaneoz

Hey my modem did a factory reset yesterday and now I have all 0 in my connection settings and IPv4 is disconnected I called Telstra to no avail was wondering if anyone can help me get back online would be greatly appreciated
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Ozkaneoz,

Once your modem has been restored, you will need to reconfigure it with your BigPond login details, depending on the type of internet service that you are using.

Unfortunately you haven't provided much in the way of information, therefore I would recommend that you try the following link to help with troubleshooting: https://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/cares

- Shelly

Beth4664

Hi,

Can someone please give me directions on how to change my Wi-Fi password ?

Thanks

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Beth, 

Each modem has a different user interface but here is how you can do it on one of the newer Telstra provided modems.

• Enter the following IP address, 10.0.0.138, into the address bar of your browser (or just click on this on the link if your device is connected via Wi-Fi to the modem in question)

• Click on the Wi-Fi symbol at the top of the page, so that it is highlighted with a blue square.
  • This will show you to the Wi-Fi administration page.
  • Find the field titled Wi-Fi Security Key, and change it to your desired password.
  • Hit the Apply button at the bottom.

Please be aware that any devices connected to the WiFi using the old password will be disconnected.  You will then need to re-enter the new password to access the WiFi connection again.

Hope this helps.

Ben

dLeaves

Hi There,

We have been using an aging (~5 yo) Netgear CGD24N-2BPAUS Cable gateway bridged with Netgear WNDR3800 WiFi router as portal for Bigpond 1000Gb home bundle. The CGD24N is situated at the cable access point in a small ground floor office at front of a 2 story high-set brick veneer 'McMansion' (1982 vintage). It has been powered-on continuously since installation in 2010/2011. NetComm NP124 range extender used ustairs.

I do recognise that this is a siub-optimal configuration (Router really should be high-set, but hardware is restrictive). This has worked so-so for low volume iPad and laptop access. However, kids (x2) are now high volume users (online gaming, videos and AppleTV) and this set-up is no longer reliable. (and no longer subscribed to Foxtel)

In additon to frequent outages (usually fixed with reboot), over past few weeks WiFi signal has degraded and no longer detected in rear rooms where formerly stable moderate-strong signal was picked up.

The CGD24N is running hardware v1.5, software v4.4.4R11. I see from the Netgear site that current software is v4.4.8. 

The event log reports twice daily : Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received. Is this Bigpond ?remote maintenance?

Is there an easy way to restore signal strength and reliability with current hardware, or is it time to buy new hardware?

Would a firmware / software upgrade resolve the poor signal issues? Put simply, is it just time to ditch the CGD24N-WNDR3800 combo for the CG3100? (or better)?

Opinions? Advice? 

dLeaves.

PS. Telstra is only service available in my locality; we are not mentioned in NBN rollout plan (not in my lifetime!).

TRACKIE

I am purchasing a Telstra- T box   I already have two 2 wireGateway modems.I have one connected permantley to my desk top computer and I wish to know whether I can keep the second modem permantley connected to the T-Box using another home phone outlet or do I need to disconnect one to use the other.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Trackie,

With ADSL, you can only have one modem connected to the service at any time.

- Darren

clipperz

Hi I have just been connected to the NBN and my DVD player will not connected to the internet - I have had two Telstra tec hnicians come out and they cannot fix the problem - when I was on ADSL I was able to connect and watch iview and tried to download movies on bigpond - too slow so I thought with the NBN it would be better - now on NBN cannot get iview or bigpond movies - any ideas - tech tried code 10.0.0.138 and I tried 192.168.0.1 is there another address for NBN?

hopeternal
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: BigPond Modem settings... never worked for me

Mrs_EB

If everyone has access to the 'magic number' http://10.0.0.138/ , then what is to stop the people who are stealing my internet from putting that number in and accessing the modem and viewing or changing the password/WPA?

How can I put a password on my modem so they cannot see the details, let alone change them?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Mrs_EB,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

This is very difficult to have completed as the hacker would have to be able to access your modem first of all to be able to have the WiFi username or password changed. This means they would need the WiFi access to the modem, if they were not able to wire into the connection. This means the WPA security should protect your modem from this being able to be altered by a third party.

Normally when you access the modem settings there will be an option to have the username and password for that access updated. What was the make and model number of your modem that you were wanting to have the modem access settings altered on? 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more