Highlighted
Internet
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond Cable Modem

Answered

Been on telstra bigpond for over a decade. Modem just stopped working the other day. Have spoken with sales who have said that I need to buy a new modem which is around $300. Can I buy a new modem from a 3rd party?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond Cable Modem

Hey Internet, welcome to the forum (didn't think I would ever say that sentence Smiley Tongue)

All of our Cable customers should be able to access the faster network and the upgrade only costs $149. If you would like me to look into this for you just flick your details to me in a private message.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 21: Augmented

new modem from a 3rd party no, maybe upgrade to the faster cable service, they need to replace the modem as part of the process
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Internet

yeah that would have been a good work around but its not available in our area.

thanks for your input

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hey Internet, welcome to the forum (didn't think I would ever say that sentence Smiley Tongue)

All of our Cable customers should be able to access the faster network and the upgrade only costs $149. If you would like me to look into this for you just flick your details to me in a private message.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Internet

Thanks DanK, message sent - please let me know if you need further details.
SPHills

Dan

I have Foxtel and Bigpond cable about 5 years old. The wireless modem originally sold to me is slow and not real good 2 rooms away for second computer. I have been told that the Cisco modem is better and faster. How do I go about buying a new cable modem?

Thanks

Steve

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@SPHills wrote:

Dan

I have Foxtel and Bigpond cable about 5 years old. The wireless modem originally sold to me is slow and not real good 2 rooms away for second computer. I have been told that the Cisco modem is better and faster. How do I go about buying a new cable modem?

Thanks

Steve

You can buy the faster modems from Bigpond directly (ie: You can't buy them elsewhere) however they don't stock Cisco Modems anymore Smiley Sad

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 22: Superhuman

SPHills wrote:

If you're talking about the Cisco EPC3925 modem/router for BigPond Ultimate Cable, then while it is ‘faster’ (than your existing modem) since it will allow connection speeds of up to 100Mbps (which I'm sure your BigPond Cable service provisioned five years ago will not deliver), it's performance as a wireless access point is far from stellar. From what I've read, it's not actually faster than the Netgear CG3100 as a modem for use with Ultimate Cable.

If wireless performance is your key concern, I'd recommend you look for a more competent wireless router which you can source from many computer hardware retailers (e.g. JB Hi-Fi, Officeworks, MSY), and use it in conjunction with the modem (or modem/router, if you have a Netgear CGD24N, Netgear CG3100 or Cisco EPC3925, by putting it into bridge mode – but not with a Netgear CG814WG).

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now