CrowdSupport®
ChrisConstance
Level 1: Cadet

Billion BIPAC Modem

Answered

Hi, I have just had Telstra FTTN NBN installed at my place - it is generally working well.  I am using the supplied Telstra Modem but want to use the better quality Billion Bipac 8700VAXL-1600 modem as it offers many more features that I need.  I cannot get my Uniden DECT phone to work with the Billion modem's FXS ports, although the phone does work with the Telstra supplied modem.  When I agreed to have the NBN connected I advised the Telstra agent that I would be using my Billion modem with my Uniden DECT handsets and I was advised that it would work.

If necessary I am happy to connect the Telstra modem to my Billion modem as a gateway for the phones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Billion BIPAC Modem

In step 4 the DHCP is disabled

"4. Disable DHCP on the Gateway"

Even id DHCP was not disabled in gateway the Billion would do the DHCP as devices are only connected to Billion the Gateway only acts as VOIP ATA no devices are connected to it LAN or WiFi.

The Billion does the IPOE authentication on the connection.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Telstra don't release  the SIP details for its NBN voice services, so you unable to configure a third party VDSL modem's VOIP settings to allow a phone to connect through its ports.

You can use the Telstra gateway as a VOIP ATA though, which while not guaranteed to work, I've managed to setup successfully multiple times:

Setup and Configuration

1. The Telstra Gateway has to be already connected and registered on the NBN Connection (E.g They are able to get both internet and voice services through it). If the modem (In particular the Voice Service) has not been registered yet it will not work
  2. Log into the Gateway and disable the WiFi
  3. Make sure the Gateway's IP Address DOES NOT MATCH the IP Address of the Third Party Modem/Router. If so, adjust it to something else (E.g 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1) and then Reboot the Gateway
  4. Disable DHCP on the Gateway
  5. Setup the Third Party Modem/Router on the NBN Connection
  6. Plug an Ethernet Cable from one of the LAN ports on the Third Party Modem/Router, to the WAN port on the Telstra Gateway
  7. Make sure the Phone light changes to green on the Gateway

Test the phone to make sure both incoming and outgoing are working

Troubleshooting Issues

If the you are experiencing issues with incoming or outgoing calls, try the following:

• Port Forwarding the following ports:
    • TCP/UDP: 5060-5061
    • Some people have also had success with also adding 5004 UDP & 3478 TCP/UDP
    • UDP: 10000-20000 (This blanket forwarding may not be necessary. Use as last resort)

• If the above doesn't work, try DMZ'ing the Telstra Gateway in the Third Party Modem/Router
  • Check to see the if the Third Party Modem/Router has any SIP ALG or SIP Passthrough options. Try to adjust these settings and see if it makes any difference. On a Netgear Modem/Router during testing, SIP ALG had to be switched on for the phone to successfully work correctly

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
woobs
Level 2: Rookie

So forgive me piping in and asking questions on this.

When you do this do you also disable DHCP on the gateway and let the billion do the DHCP? 

Does the billion now do the authenticating on the connection? ( I realise that in FTTN that it really isnt authenticating, but acting as an IPoE connection, or that is my understanding?)

Accepted Solution

In step 4 the DHCP is disabled

"4. Disable DHCP on the Gateway"

Even id DHCP was not disabled in gateway the Billion would do the DHCP as devices are only connected to Billion the Gateway only acts as VOIP ATA no devices are connected to it LAN or WiFi.

The Billion does the IPOE authentication on the connection.

View solution in original post

woobs
Level 2: Rookie

Many thanks cf4.

I read the steps a number of times and missed that, you have no idea how embarrased I am at the moment.

davidw1960
Level 1: Cadet

Seems this is a good solution. However what if I want to use a Fritz!box 7490 with MyNetFone Configured for a separate VOIP account?

So I would use the Telstra Modem as the Phone device for my home phone and then want to use VOIP in the Fritz as well.

I have been contemplating letting the Telstra Modem connect to the NBN and then connecting the WAN port of my Fritz to the Ethernet on the telstra and letting the Fritz handle my internal network. I wouldn't then even need to disable WLAN and DHCP in the Telkstra as nothing would be physically connected to them, my home phone would work on the Telstra Modem. Also if I had an outage, I would be able to use the 4G fallover on the telstra Modem.

Are there then issues using MyNetFone on the Fritz? Will my duckdns work to still give my network an IP address externally accessible? Will my port forwarding on the Fritz still work? I have some ports forwarded to Home Assistant running on my Raspberry Pi.

I also currently have a mini GLi router that establishes a VPN connection - it currently connects it's WAN port to a LAN port on the Fritz - I assume I would just instead connect this to the LAN port on the Telstra Modem. The GLi runs it's own IP network for any devices connected to it that is different to my main network.

Will there be a conflict with VOIP as I think the Telstra and MyNetFone both use 5060 etc.. This issue is really my only impediment to using Telstra for the NBN. My Fritz is far superior as well as being configured exactly as I like it and having answering machines etc. If I can't do this I will be looking at Aussie Broadband or perhaps even Internode who will give me the SIP details for the home phone service. It is maddening that Telstra won't provide these but I can live with that if I can get everything else going.

wallplate |------>Telstra Gateway------>Fritz ?
The problem with your suggested setup and you'll end up in a double NAT situation, which will probably result in the portwarding rules on your Fritzbox not working.

The most ideal thing would be using your Fritz (It is VDSL compatible according to specifications provided it is using later models of its firmware) as the modem/router in front of everything else. Leaving the gateway in front would potentially require things like DMZ'ing the Fritz or disabling DHCP on the gateway (neither of which would be guaranteed to work) if you're trying to use the Fritz as the router

Its hard to say without testing whether they'll be any conflict between the MyNetPhone and the Gateway when it comes to VOIP calls without testing
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

I have a Fritzbox7490 and a MyNetfone VOIP service. With Fritzbox's WAN  port connected to LAN port of Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st5355) both the MYNetfone and Telstra phone work with no problems. I did find that if Firewall in Telstra gateway is set to High or Custom the MyNetfone VOIP service would no longer register.

If you use this configuration set the Fritzbox in the DMZ of Telstra gateway or port forward the ports that are port forwarded in the Fritz box to the Fritzbox if you want port forwarding to work.

If you have a DDNS service set up the DDNS updater in the Telstra Gateway and disabled it in the Fritzbox. If you have it enabled in Frizbox or have an DDNS updater software running on any device connected to the Fritzbox the DDNS will be updated with the WAN address of the Fritzbox instead of your public IP address.

Even though no device are connected to Telstra Gateway I would turn WiFi off in Telestra gateway to prevent interference with Fritzbox WiFi

As @Yastiandrie has stated it is probably better to use the Fritzbox as the VDSL modem and router. I have tried this configuration and both phones work with no special configuration in Telstra Gateway or Fritzbox. It depends on how reliable your FTTN   service is which configuration is best to use in your situation.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now