Answered

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Bridging F@ast sagecom 5355 again

Option four would look like this.

Phone Socket-------(DSL Port) F@st5355) (LAN Port)-------------(WAN Port) Router (LAN Port)---Devices

Option three would look like this for router that doesn't have a access point settinmodeg

Phone Socket-------(DSL Port) F@st5355) (LAN Port)-------------(LAN Port) Router (LAN Port)---Devices

If the router has an access point mode it would be connected the same as option 4. The benefit of option three is that there is only one NAT. The router uses the DHCP of the F@st5355 gateway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
petfy
Level 4: Private Eye

Bridging F@ast sagecom 5355 again

Didn't even touch the post button and it autoposts immediately the heading has been entered.

Anyway.

As Telstra will not acknowledge that the 5355 ceases to transmit on 5G WiFi after two days (how long has the NBN being rolled out ... 3 years?) (how better to stop congestion than to limit data speed to 2G at the source) I am frustrated that no 5G is available and wish to bridge Telstras modem/router to a router that is able to be better configured and actually has 5G.

It is mandatory that I maintain a (VIOP) landline for an elderly person on the existing phone, so if I bridge the Telstra gateway to another router by Ethernet cable, will the Telstra gateway still divert phone calls to the landline phone that is plugged into the green socket (as it has currently been doing)? The incoming NBN line is plugged into both the grey socket and the black socket.

No. If you bridge the modem the landline will not work

There are couple of options that will still enable the phone line to work

1. Buy a third party VDSL modem router and connect a WAN port on Telstra Gateway to LAN port on third party VDSL modem router. Turn off WiFi on Telstra Gateway. In this mode Telstra Gateway acts as VOIP ATA only.

Wall Socket--------VDSL modem router-----------F@st5355-------Phone
  2. Buy a dual band WiFi range extender that has a Ethernet port that can be connected to a router. Connect its Ethernet port to LAN port on Telstra Gateway. Set up the WiFi range extender as an access point. Don't set it up as a WiFi repeater.
  3. Connect a router to a LAN port on the F@st5355 and set it up as an Access point. If the router doesn't have a Access point setting, change its IP address to be within IP address range of F@st5355 but not 10.0.0.138. Turn off DHCP in router and connect one of its LAN ports to a LAN port  off F@st5355.
  4. Connect a router to a LAN port on the F@st5355 and put it in DMZ of F@st5355. Using this configuration there are two NAT but because the router is in DMZ of F@st5355 any application that requires UPNP or manual port forwarding should still work.
petfy

Thanks for the fast reply. Option 4 sounds promising. Is this the same as cascading routers LAN to LAN (looks like no 3?)?
Accepted Solution

Option four would look like this.

Phone Socket-------(DSL Port) F@st5355) (LAN Port)-------------(WAN Port) Router (LAN Port)---Devices

Option three would look like this for router that doesn't have a access point settinmodeg

Phone Socket-------(DSL Port) F@st5355) (LAN Port)-------------(LAN Port) Router (LAN Port)---Devices

If the router has an access point mode it would be connected the same as option 4. The benefit of option three is that there is only one NAT. The router uses the DHCP of the F@st5355 gateway.

petfy

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to reply. I am very grateful for the information that you have supplied.

Will probably be doing option 3, as it is simpler, but disabling DHCP on the 5355 and allowing the second router to issue addresses.

Will also probably enable MAC lists somewhere in the future for further security.
BrisbaneJackie
Level 1: Cadet

WHY! This is such a poor, and insecure design. WHY have Telstra insisted on this, and why haven't they rectified it. It makes no sense.

petfy

In the end I put a Netgear Router behind the F5355 and connected LAN to WAN. Although the NG router is running in Access Point (AP) mode I have configured it so it takes over as much as it can from the F5355, and disabled the WiFi on the F5355. Now I have a reliable 5G that is always up !!!!!!!

As a side note, Telstra still refuse to acknowledge or rectify that the F5355 drops the 5g WiFi after a couple of days.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now