CrowdSupport®
BattleAxeBlock
Level 4: Private Eye

C6300BD & ASUS RT-AC87U - OpenVPN

Hi All.

I'm an Express VPN customer and have invested in a ASUS RT-AC87U which allows me to update the firmware and run OpenVPN.

I have the trusty C6300BD (5510_V10415).

I'm hoping to be able to have a WIFI from both devices available.

My logic there, it allows my smart TV access to the VPN and laptop to native source.

Has anyone had this experience? Is this possible?

Also really interested to learn specific settings on the C6300BD to allow the ASUS access to the internet, bridging (I've seen this link, looks promising https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Step-by-step-bridge-mode/td-p/553287)

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Work for NBN Co, New Developments

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: C6300BD & ASUS RT-AC87U - OpenVPN

If you want to be able to connect devices to the C6300BD you will not be able to bridge the C6300BD. If you connecting all devices to the C6300BD and only connecting the TV to the ASUS to use the VPN to avoid Geo blocking you don't need any special settings in the C6300BD apart from making sure there are at least 3 channels separation between wifi channels used on ASUS and the C6300BD.

BattleAxeBlock

@cf4thanks for the quick response. Will give this a go over the weekend.

@cf4 wrote:

If you want to be able to connect devices to the C6300BD you will not be able to bridge the C6300BD. If you connecting all devices to the C6300BD and only connecting the TV to the ASUS to use the VPN to avoid Geo blocking you don't need any special settings in the C6300BD apart from making sure there are at least 3 channels separation between wifi channels used on ASUS and the C6300BD.

When setting up VPN on ASUS select "My ISP Has No Login".

BattleAxeBlock

Ok, so good news. The Asus VPN router is all hooked up and configured.

The Express VPN firmware does make it very easy.

But I did have an initial fail of connecting the LAN port from the C6300BD to a LAN port of the Asus VPN router and wondering why I had no service at the VPN router itself during the commissioning.

Anyway, took a punt, move it to the WAN port and now all good.

Disappointing how slow the VPN router moves traffic though. 

Currently I get 110mb with Telstras Free Speed boost, but the VPN is lucky to to crack 25mb.

Still it's enough to run HD Netflix.

Unclear though how to "separate the channels", which might account for some of the speed issues...maybe... 

Highlighted

The slow speed is due to the VPN router being located overseas and there is no way of avoiding this if you want to avoid geo blocking. Should have no trouble streaming HD video over a 25 Mbps connection. I had no trouble streaming HD video on my old 6 Mbps ADSL connection.

BattleAxeBlock

hi @cf4 Could you give me a better example of how to ensure I have 3 channels of spacing?

To ensure you have three channels separation first log into the CG6300BD, go to WiFi settings. The WiFi channel will be set to auto and the current channel in use will also be displayed. Change the channel settings from auto and select the current channel that was in use. Do this for both WiFi bands.

Next log into the ASUS and on both WiFi bands select a WiFi channel that has at least 3 channels separation between it and the WiFi channel used by the CG6300BD. For example if CG6300BD is using channel 1 for 2.4 GHz WiFi set ASUS to channel 4.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now