CrowdSupport®
random_dude
Level 1: Cadet

Can I use MX64 meraki router with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 on NBN?

Just got NBN installed. I plugged my existing MX64 meraki router into the telstra smart modem and almost everything is working ok. The only exception is the existing port forwarding I had set up no longer works.

Is having the smart router connected to the MX64 a good idea or should I just ditch the MX64?

How can I get the port forwarding to work through the new modem?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can I use MX64 meraki router with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 on NBN?

You could put the  MX64 meraki router in the DMZ of Smart Modem

Arcadyan Modem (LH1000) Go to Advanced > Fire wall > Firewall DMZ

Technicolor Modem (DJA0231) Advanced > WAN services > DMZ.

Before putting  MX64 meraki router in DMZ set a static IP address for the  MX64 meraki router in the Telstra Modem (Advanced / Go to Advanced > Local Network).

Alternatively if you have an NBN FTTC or HFC connection connect MX64 meraki router directly to NBN NTD and connect Telstra modem via its WAN port to a LAN port of the MX64 meraki router. If you have trouble wit incoming calls disable SIP ALG in the MX64 meraki router.

random_dude
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks CF4 good idea. I have HFC so went with the alternative suggestion and plugged the MX64 directly to the NBN. Internet and port forwarding are both working fine now.

I plugged the WAN port of the Telstra smart modem into a LAN port of the router. However I'm having trouble getting the phone to work, can't find how to disable SIP ALG (SIP Fixup) in the MX64 router. So the landline is not working. Let me know if any ideas.

Try putting the Smart Modem in the DMZ of the MX64. Are Online and WAN / DSL lights green on Smart Modem?

Level 14: Field Agent Mkrtich
Level 14: Field Agent

@random_dude  At any time when you had the NBN service commissioned, were you able to make and receive calls when the Telstra Smart modem was connected to the Arris HFC modem. From forum readings, after that phase is verified, it is OK to then place the Telstra modem behind a third party router essentially delegating it to a VoIP Adapter, DHCP and Wi-Fi network. Cisco Meraki does not appear to support SIP ALG, so I don't think that is an issue for you - it may be that your voice service has not been fully activated by Telstra.

@cf4- please feel free to fill in any comments and qualifying points or correct them if I have misunderstood the situation as I am not clear on the IP addressing - assuming no conflict under different subnets.

Out of curiosity, apart from possible Cisco VPN support, is there a special reason you are using an Enterprise Security Appliance in your home network - its a great product with high protection and cloud management services under a licenced controlled environment. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now