CrowdSupport®
at96
Level 2: Rookie

Can only set one parental control rule per MAC address with Arcadyan LH1000

Hello,

We've just upgraded to NBN and now have an Arcadyan LH1000.  With the previous Telstra modem, we could set multiple parental control rules per MAC address.

For example, I could block internet for my son's PC on week days between 00:00 - 09:00, 17:00-19:00 and 20:30-23:59. I have different rules for Friday and Sat nights.

With LH1000, it only allows one rule per MAC address. When I try to add another row with the same MAC address it says "This entry has been in list". It's terrible English but you get the meaning.

Am I missing something? If not, is it possible to see if I have the latest software update and/or report a software bug?

Thanks!

T

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
LordPaul
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Can only set one parental control rule per MAC address with Arcadyan LH1000

I have the same issue with the Gen 2 Telstra Smart Modem, there doesnt seem to be the same degree of control for parents in setting up controls in the newer modems
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @at96 and @LordPaul,

Apologies for any inconvenience and frustration caused by the limited features with your modems. Have you ever looked into our Broadband Protect service https://tel.st/yz4tb?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

LordPaul

Hi Dani,

I have the Broadband Protect product, and it doesnt allow you to set access time at a device level. You can only set a time block all internet access.

The older modems allowed users to set this up under the parental controls at the modem level, restricting access at different times per device.
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that information @LordPaul and apologies for the disappointment in the options available on your current device.

Please do come back and chat again any time.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mrSneezy

Yes I concur that the function to set multiple times for the same day is missing on the Gen 2 LH1000 as it will only accept one line for each device MAC (on firmware 0.05.04r).

The previous Telstra modem (Gateway Max) had the multi time ability, as do most other low and mid-range routers.
Hopefully this gets addressed so I can control the access times properly for weekends as well as week days (child gets extra net hours on weekends, or used to..).
Sneezy
cust_mp
Level 1: Cadet

This response is unacceptable and ridiculous. Not only did your previously offered hardware (Sagemcom, Technicolor) already support configuring parental controls with multiple time slots for the same MAC Address, your response is essentially a unhelpful "thanks for the feedback, please come back again with more issues, and we'll do absolutely nothing to help you resolve things". 

I would deem this issue as vital functionality for a parent/user wanting to restrict access to the internet for certain users on a LAN. In my opinion, you as a Telstra support person should be making every effort to escalate this to the right people in your company to resolve ASAP, for deployment in the next firmware auto-update.

This could easily be resolved if we as your customers were given the option to BYO our own more powerful and capable routers (with comprehensive parental control and monitoring options), but you've deliberately made it difficult for us to completely replace your simpleton Arcadyan hardware (by not disclosing SIP and VOIP settings), so that we can retain proper landline functionality whilst using our own routers.

If you've forced your customers to use this so-called 'Smart Modem' to access the internet on Telstra, you should at least provide top-notch support and features for it too.

Level 24: Supreme Being

You can use your own device and use the Telstra Modem as a VOIP with WiFi turned off and its WAN port connected to LAN port on your own device.
mrSneezy

cf4, in this day and age where 'green' means everything, why would I want another 10-20 watts of electrical load on 24/7 when a few lines of code in the supplied hardware would satisfy customer needs as well as saving that power ?
Multiply that cascaded router method for getting proper parental control back by every user in Oz, and see how many MW it would add up too... 

Sneezy
cust_mp
Level 1: Cadet

Setting this up for novices would be a confusing experience. I am no novice, and even when I know what needs to be configured to set up as you have mentioned (I have researched this topic thoroughly already), I have failed to get it working seamlessly without sacrificing complete functionality (ie. calling out fine, calling in no ring, instead goes straight to voicemail).

As much as I appreciate your input @cf4 (since you contribute immensely to this forum), what you suggest still isn't an adequate answer for me.

Have you turned of SIP ALG in your third part modem?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now