CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Gazzamaher
Level 1: Cadet

Changing from 5GHz to 2.4GHz

Answered

I have an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC modem and it states the network band is 5GHz. Can I change it to 2.4GHz? as I need to add a device and it will only work with 2.4GHZ Wi-Fi network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing from 5GHz to 2.4GHz

The modem is dual band but by default has band steering enabled which results in both the WiFi bands having the same SSID. Disabling band steering will result in -5G being added to the end of the normal SSID and your PC should now see two different SSIDs broadcast by the modem, one for each WiFi Band. If you don’t see the normal SSID but only the normal SSID with -5G added to the end then the 2.4 GHz band is faulty.

To disable band steering open a WEB browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra). Go to WiFi settings, then go to 2.4 GHz band WiFi, remove tick next to band steering and save settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing from 5GHz to 2.4GHz

The modem is dual band but by default has band steering enabled which results in both the WiFi bands having the same SSID. Disabling band steering will result in -5G being added to the end of the normal SSID and your PC should now see two different SSIDs broadcast by the modem, one for each WiFi Band. If you don’t see the normal SSID but only the normal SSID with -5G added to the end then the 2.4 GHz band is faulty.

To disable band steering open a WEB browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra). Go to WiFi settings, then go to 2.4 GHz band WiFi, remove tick next to band steering and save settings.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more