CrowdSupport®
Anna6120
Level 1: Cadet

Compatible phones for Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

We have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. I am trying to get a reliable phone service. We have been trying to use a Telstra Voice Extender to provide a telephone service from our Modem upstairs to two Telstra Home Guardian 301 phones downstairs. While this worked for a while the Voice Extender keeps unpairing and is then difficult to pair again. I thought I might try a phone directly connected to the modem, but from my reading the Telstra T Voice is a single phone. Is there a compatible phone (Telstra or non-Telstra) that can provide an additional two phones that we could use downstairs? I guess an alternative solution is to discover why our Voice Extender keeps unpairing. I’m assuming where we have it plugged in is too far away for a reliable connection, even though it did work for a month in this position in the house.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Re: Compatible phones for Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi Anna6120. Have you tried De-Registering the T-Voice Extender from within the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, then Re-Registering it to clear out any possible data corruption. This requires you to log into the TSMG2 and whilst you are in there, I suggest to Reset the Modem from within the Admin screen in case it updates your firmware and also provides a fresh clean out. Unpairing may have been caused by radio interference near the modem, unnoticed previous disconnections caused by automatic system resets.

Also it may help to experiment with a different location for the TVE closer to the TSMG2 which may involve you acquiring a long telephone cable for the Telstra Guardian 301 (DECT 6.0) Base Station.

The Telstra T-Voice 503 uses a more modern DECT signalling System called DECT iQ 2.0 which allows it to link wirelessly to the TSMG2's Internal DECT Base Station. You can have multiple T-Voice 503 handsets, maybe at least four units. Unfortunately, DECT 6.0 handsets can not pair directly to the TSMG2.

I assume both arrangements could co-exist in their separate connection methodologies. 

Mkrtich

Just a slight correction and qualification to my original statement which is not 100% correct.  "Unfortunately, DECT 6.0 handsets can not pair directly to the TSMG2."

It is possible to Register a DECT 6.0 Phone (DECT GAP 2.0) to the Telstra Smart Modems and Telstra Gateways as DECT CAT iQ2.0 is backwards compatible to previous DECT versions, however from reading other posts, you are limited to very basic Make and Receive external calls only functions ( called POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service). I tested the pairing with two Panasonic DECT 6.0 Phones to a non network connected Telstra DJA0230 successfully this morning and obtained internal dial tone but could not make any intercom calls between the phones. 

Therefore it is not what one would call a recommended practice and why Telstra emphasise, when using the integrated DECT function of the respective Modem, to use CAT iQ2.0 phones which provide full HD Voice functionality along with associated display information. For customer convenience and practicality, any legacy DECT 6.0 Systems should have their Base Stations connected to the active Phone Port in the Telstra Modem/Gateway for their full functionality which is provided and controlled by the legacy Base Station. 

According to the Technical Specification of the T-Voice Extender in the User Guide, it uses DECT GAP to communicate to the pictured Telstra F@ST 5355 - its function being limited to a conduit to Make and Receive calls only which explains how the link is paired and maintained. 

Anna6120
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for your response, it was helpful. I will try as you suggest and try getting the Voice Extender to pair reliably. If this didn’t work because the phone point is too far from the modem, I may go with the T Voice option. Can I clarify how that works. Would I have to have a wired connection to the modem upstairs, to connect phones wirelessly downstairs, or could I just use the wireless connection downstairs. If we get WiFi coverage in our lounge room (the room farthest from the modem) would that mean we would be able to connect and use a T Voice phone successfully?

Thanks

Mkrtich

Anna6120 - I am not sure if you have done this previously to test DECT coverage downstairs before you were given the T-Voice Extender. First, turn off the T-Voice Extender - you may also need to log-in to the TSMG2 to 'Unpair' it in the Telephony Section to eliminate any settings conflicts.

If you connect the Guardian Base Station to the Phone Port (Green) on the TSMG2, using the primary Phone 1 that was in the Base Station, you should get dial tone from the Base Station which is getting it from your TSMG2 enabled NBN telephone service. Test by making a call to a landline or mobile number of someone you know, and whilst still connected to them, go for walk downstairs. If connection is maintained well, you should be able to locate Phone No 2 downstairs for its connection back to the Base Station as well. During testing, as you walk around if you will hear crackling across the conversation during the test, it means you are starting to get on the outskirts of the DECT coverage area - this defines your working cordless phone area.  

You may not need to purchase the T-Voice 503 if your two existing handsets cover the residence well. The Guardian phones only need to be cradled for charging purposes, so can be left where practical for you to use in between charging. If coverage is OK, both can be left downstairs if that is where you spend most of your day time and moved to suit.

DECT (1.8 to 1.9 Ghz) uses a lower frequency than Wi-Fi (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz), so in theory, it is actually capable of distributing a stronger signal but like most wireless technology, the operating environment and other technical characteristics determine efficiency. I don't have practical experience with the T-Voice 503, so unable to comment about its performance.   

I hope your test outcomes with the Guardians are positive. Two of my neighbours, who have two story homes, have legacy DECT Base Stations (with two cordless phones) connected to their NBN Modems and they work fine. 

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The Telstra T503 handset was designed to pair with the 2.0 DEC base in the Telstra F@st5355 modem but should also be able to pair wirelessly with the Smart modems DEC 2.0 base. The diagram in the quick start guide shows the handset cabled to the modem but that diagram is for a wired handset. You can purchase the T503 here

If your voice extender is losing its pairing all the time buying another handset that pairs to the base might have the same problem. It is best to find the reason for the loss off pairing or buy a wireless phone set and locate the base next to modem were it can be plugged into the modem.

Mkrtich

Yes I agree. The TVE  User Guide should have shown a wired Telstra Guardian Base Station & Phone connected to the T-Voice Extender as that is what the accompanying text covers in the guide. Hopefully testing the existing Guardian System in a direct connect to the Modem's phone port will reveal feasible operating areas. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now