Tranquilo
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting Apple Time Capsule to NBN via Telstra Smart Modem

Answered

Could somebody please advise how to setup a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup on fibre to the node NBN with an Apple AirPort Time Capsule to achieve Local Wi-Fi network created by the Time Capsule (to allow Time machine backups to Time Capsule, Apple file sharing, etc).

I am aware of threads discussing how to setup AirPort Time Capsules with earlier Telstra modems such as the Technicolour Gateway but not the current Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

I would also like to know if it is possible to use existing wall sockets in the home for additional phones or if a phone can only be connected directly through the modem (via the green port).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Apple Time Capsule to NBN via Telstra Smart Modem

The phone sockets can not be used for additional phones unless they are rewired to isolate them from incoming street cable and if FTTN/B/C from the phone socket used for the NBN connection. On a Telstra NBN connection the phone service is provided by the Telstra modem and you can either connect a handset to the green phone socket or if you want to connect handsets in other rooms connect the green phone socket to one of the wall phone sockets that has been rewired. Up to 5 DECT 2.0 phone handsets can also be paired Wirelessly to DECT base in the modem.

If you have a FTTN/B NBN connection, connect DSL port of Telstra Modem to phone wall socket. Connect Time capsule to one of the LAN ports on the modem and place time capsule in DMZ  of modem. To do this log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (Login ID and password is admin/Telstra) and go to Advanced > Firewall > Firewall > DMZ (Arcadyan) or Advanced > WAN services > DMZ. Enable DMZ (Technicolor), enable DMZ and enter the WAN IP address of the Apple Airport in the address field.

If you have a FTTC, FTTP, Fixed Radio or HFC NBN connection.

Connect Telstra Modem WAN port to NBN connection box.

Once phone has registered indicated by phone light turning green disconnect Telstra Modem and connect Apple Airport directly to NBN connection box. Set up for DHCP connection type in Apple Airport (No username or password).

Connect Smart modems WAN port to LAN port of Apple Airport.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

The phone sockets can not be used for additional phones unless they are rewired to isolate them from incoming street cable and if FTTN/B/C from the phone socket used for the NBN connection. On a Telstra NBN connection the phone service is provided by the Telstra modem and you can either connect a handset to the green phone socket or if you want to connect handsets in other rooms connect the green phone socket to one of the wall phone sockets that has been rewired. Up to 5 DECT 2.0 phone handsets can also be paired Wirelessly to DECT base in the modem.

If you have a FTTN/B NBN connection, connect DSL port of Telstra Modem to phone wall socket. Connect Time capsule to one of the LAN ports on the modem and place time capsule in DMZ  of modem. To do this log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (Login ID and password is admin/Telstra) and go to Advanced > Firewall > Firewall > DMZ (Arcadyan) or Advanced > WAN services > DMZ. Enable DMZ (Technicolor), enable DMZ and enter the WAN IP address of the Apple Airport in the address field.

If you have a FTTC, FTTP, Fixed Radio or HFC NBN connection.

Connect Telstra Modem WAN port to NBN connection box.

Once phone has registered indicated by phone light turning green disconnect Telstra Modem and connect Apple Airport directly to NBN connection box. Set up for DHCP connection type in Apple Airport (No username or password).

Connect Smart modems WAN port to LAN port of Apple Airport.

Tranquilo

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions cf4. Please ignore my question beneath your Smart Modem manual post which I posted just before becoming aware of your reply to my question above. Ta
Tranquilo

Thanks cf4. I have managed to setup a local Wi-Fi network created by the Apple Airport Time Capsule following the following modified version of your instructions:

1) Connect the Time Capsule Gigabit Ethernet WAN Port to Mac via an ethernet cable.

2) Find IP address of the Time Capsule. To do this open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility and click on the Time Capsule icon to reveal the IP address/LAN IP address etc. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Mac but leave it connected to the Time Capsule.

3) Connect the DSL port of the Smart Modem to a phone wall socket. Connect the ethernet cable coming from the WAN Port of the Time Capsule to one of the LAN ports on the Smart Modem.

4) Place time capsule in DMZ of modem. To do this log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (username is admin and and password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > WAN services. Enable DMZ and enter the WAN IP address of the Time Capsule in the Destination IP field. The WAN IP address may be automatically filled or it may be necessary to enter the address from 2 above. The Destination MAC field will automatically be filled.

5) Turnoff the Time Capsule and Smart Modem, wait, then restart both devices. Once they restart you should be able to connect to the internet through the Time Capsule’s WiFi network.

6) The Smart Modem WiFi network can be turned off by pressing the blue “Wi-Fi” button on the top back of the device.

Note the above instructions assume that the Airport Time Capsule has already been set up (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201510).

Could you please explain the difference/pros and cons between the above DMZ setup and using “bridge mode" that I have seen referred to elsewhere:

eg https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Using-Apple-AirPort-Time-Capsule-Wi-Fi-with-Te...

Are there security risks associated with the above DMZ setup? I have read online that DMZ can expose the network to the Internet and be potentially dangerous:

eg https://routerguide.net/when-and-how-to-setup-dmz-host-for-home-use/

The main advantage of using DMZ instead of bridge is the you can still use the modems VOIP phone and if the main link is down you will still have internet access via the 4G backup. In Bridge mode the 4G backup and VOIP function of modem don't work. Another advantage is you still have access to modem and if there is a fault with the link can use the modems diagnostic tools to help determining what the problem is.

The main advantage of Bridging over DMZ is that you don't have two NATs that can cause problems with some apps. Most off these problems are overcome by placing the Apple Time capsule in the DMZ of the modem. The only thing to be careful off is if you have a Dynamic DNS service. If you have a Dynamic DNS service must use the Dynamic DNS updater in the modem and not in the Time capsule or a Device on the Network. Some security cameras use Dynamic DNS so the Dynamic DNS of camera has to be turned of and Dynamic DNS set up in the modem.

In this case placing time capsule in DMZ is not a security risk.DMZ is only a security risk if you place a computer or other device in the modems DMZ. It is not a security risk if you place Time capsule in the modems DMZ. The time capsul has its own NAT and Firewall.

Tranquilo

Thanks cf4 for again clearly answering my questions. I initially tried extending the WiFi network with two Airport Express to provide coverage to a couple of dead spots in the house but speed was reduced significantly (2-40% of the direct ethernet speeds, 1-19 MBPS download). I have now setup a roaming network with the Time Capsule connected to the modem via ethernet and the two Airport Express connected to the modem via ethernet over powerline adapters. This gives excellent high speed coverage throughout the house (82-99% of the direct ethernet speeds, 39-47 MBPS download).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more