CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Nostromo1
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting Netgear Orbi to NBN Gen 2

Answered
Hi I am currently on Cable with a Telstra Gateway (Netgear) Modem / Router. I am due to move to NBN soon. HCF. I want to use a Telstra Gen 2 modem (because of 4G backup), but also connect an Orbi Router/Satellite system (RBK50 - AC3000). Currently my Telstra Gateway is set in 'bridge' mode. My router is an old Time Capsule, with Aiport Extreme and Express extenders. My question is, what settings and configuration do I need for both the Gen 2 modem and Orbi Router, to ensure I get 4G backup, and best performance from Orbi. Also, will I be able to use the LAN ethernet ports on both the Gen 2 modem and Orbi AC3000 router in this configuration. At the moment I have multiple devices hardwired to both my Gateway Modem and Time Capsule Router. However, I can only use one ethernet port on the Gateway (all on the TC) so have to use a switch. I'm not very confident with configuration of modems or routers, I had a Telstra Engineer configure my existing set up (simply to just put it in bridge mode) and was thinking I may do this again with my NBN set up. I know configuration is a lot simpler these days, but thoughts on whether I should do it myself or pay Telstra to do it. Thanks :-)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Netgear Orbi to NBN Gen 2

To set up the Orbi with the Telstra Smart Modem

1. Connect RJ45 WAN port of Orbi to LAN port of Smart Modem.
  2. Set up Orbi as Access point page 76 of Manual.
  3. Set Orbi to obtain IP address Dynamically from existing router.
  4. Optionaly you could set a static lease for the Orbi in the Telstra Modem (Advanced > Local Network). This will assign a static LAN IP address to the Orbi.
  5. Turn off WiFi on Telstra Modem.

You will be able to use the three remaining LAN ports on the Telstra Modem plus the LAN port on the Orbi.

Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

As a side issue, there are 2 almost visually identical Gen 2 modems distributed by the folk at Telstra.
Try to get the Technicolor rather than the Arcydyne brand. The manufacturers name is near the serial number and the Technicolor has air vents on the upper sides below the lid. Apart from being less buggy, the Technicolor has a very much better 4G receiver.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

To set up the Orbi with the Telstra Smart Modem

1. Connect RJ45 WAN port of Orbi to LAN port of Smart Modem.
  2. Set up Orbi as Access point page 76 of Manual.
  3. Set Orbi to obtain IP address Dynamically from existing router.
  4. Optionaly you could set a static lease for the Orbi in the Telstra Modem (Advanced > Local Network). This will assign a static LAN IP address to the Orbi.
  5. Turn off WiFi on Telstra Modem.

You will be able to use the three remaining LAN ports on the Telstra Modem plus the LAN port on the Orbi.

Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

As a side issue, there are 2 almost visually identical Gen 2 modems distributed by the folk at Telstra.
Try to get the Technicolor rather than the Arcydyne brand. The manufacturers name is near the serial number and the Technicolor has air vents on the upper sides below the lid. Apart from being less buggy, the Technicolor has a very much better 4G receiver.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now