CrowdSupport®
lucar
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting Netgear c6300bd as a wireless access point to a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Answered

hi the Telstra technican installed NBN today and used my old Netgear C6300BD as a wireless access point to allow devices to connect to it wirelessly.  Its connected to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 via one of the 4 lan ports. I can connect to both the Gen2 modem wirelessly and the C6300DB as they both have different SSID's.  If I want to configure the settings on the old C6300BD I can't because the 192.168.0.1 address links to the Gen2 modem.  How to I separate the 2 modems so I can configure the settings on Gen2 and the C6300DB.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
lucar
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Netgear c6300bd as a wireless access point to a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Thanks CF4.  Looks like I can now access the 2 devices separately now to configure them.  Your advice worked perfectly.  I've kept the SSID's different on both devices to make it easier in trying to connect to the different WiFi's which works.  In doing so I now have to setup parental controls on both devices to limit time for devices as they both have different SSID's.  The C6300BD was good because you can setup multiple rules for the 1 device.  The Telstra Smart modem Gen2 is limiting as you can only setup one rule only.  bummer.  For example I could setup a time from say 8am to 10am allow and from 3pm to 5pm allow. cant do that on the Gen2  Any clues?

View solution in original post

Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Netgear c6300bd as a wireless access point to a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Do the parental controls still work in the CG6300BD? I think you will find that only the Parental controls in the Gen 2 modem will work in that configuration.

Looks like you have the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 modem. The Technicolor versions allows setting up multiple parental time controls for the same device. A future firmware update might allow more than one rule to be set up for a device as other people have also experienced this problem.

If you have an NBN HFC or FTTC connection and don't require a phone service you could use the CG6300BD as the main router and the Gen 2 modem as the access point. To do this you would have to

• Enable the WAN port on the CG6300BD
  • Enable DHCP on the CG6300BD
  • Disable DHCP on the Gen 2 modem
  • Remove SIM card on Gen 2 modem
  • Connect WAN port of CG6300BD to NBN NTD
  • Connect LAN port of CG6300BD to LAN port of Gen 2 modem.

Accepted Solution

You don't need to change any of those settings.

Enable WAN  mode would enable the WAN port on the modem and you can then use the modem as a router.

NAT-Disable turns the modem into a switch and you would only be able to access modem on http://192.168.100.1

In answer to your previous post it would be very hard to get Telstra to replace modem with the Technicolor version. The normal support staff have no control over which modem they send as a replacement.

The parental controls in the Gen 2 modem can also be used for setting time controls on all the devices that are connected to the CG6300BD. There MAC will appear in the list on the Gen 2 modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Change the LAN IP address of the Gateway max so that it is different to the Gen 2 modem. Example 192.168.0.200. You should then be able to access gateway max on 192.168.0.200. You should be able to access gateway max on it bridge mode IP address 192.168.100.1 before changing its IP address. If you havent already done so you should also disable DHCP in Gateway max.

lucar
Accepted Solution

Thanks CF4.  Looks like I can now access the 2 devices separately now to configure them.  Your advice worked perfectly.  I've kept the SSID's different on both devices to make it easier in trying to connect to the different WiFi's which works.  In doing so I now have to setup parental controls on both devices to limit time for devices as they both have different SSID's.  The C6300BD was good because you can setup multiple rules for the 1 device.  The Telstra Smart modem Gen2 is limiting as you can only setup one rule only.  bummer.  For example I could setup a time from say 8am to 10am allow and from 3pm to 5pm allow. cant do that on the Gen2  Any clues?

Accepted Solution

Do the parental controls still work in the CG6300BD? I think you will find that only the Parental controls in the Gen 2 modem will work in that configuration.

Looks like you have the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 modem. The Technicolor versions allows setting up multiple parental time controls for the same device. A future firmware update might allow more than one rule to be set up for a device as other people have also experienced this problem.

If you have an NBN HFC or FTTC connection and don't require a phone service you could use the CG6300BD as the main router and the Gen 2 modem as the access point. To do this you would have to

• Enable the WAN port on the CG6300BD
  • Enable DHCP on the CG6300BD
  • Disable DHCP on the Gen 2 modem
  • Remove SIM card on Gen 2 modem
  • Connect WAN port of CG6300BD to NBN NTD
  • Connect LAN port of CG6300BD to LAN port of Gen 2 modem.

lucar

Yes I have the arcadyan version.  How can I get a technicolor version?

Yes I don't think parental controls work from the C6300BD even though I have the rules set.  Weirdly since I've connected to the NBN this modem/router doesn't display a time in the LAN settings like it used to so I assume its because the host being the NBN modem/router takes control.  It was always a pain doing parental controls on this as the time was always 11hours behind and there was no way of setting AEDST.  This is a bummer for me because the main connections to the internet are made wirelessly to the C6300BD

lucar

Hi cf4.  One thing I forgot to ask/check, by turning off DHCP server and setting a different IP address for the C6300bd, I was wonderin g whether I have to do anything with NAT and WAN Backupsettings.  The current settings are shown in the pic's attached.  Assume I leave these as is in order to continue using the C6300bd as a wireless access point.

NAT.jpgWAN.jpg

lucar

Hi cf4. One thing I forgot to ask/check, by turning off DHCP server and setting a different IP address for the C6300bd, I was wonderin g whether I have to do anything with NAT and WAN Backupsettings. The current settings are shown in the pic's attached. Assume I leave these as is in order to continue using the C6300bd as a wireless access point.NAT.jpgWAN.jpg

Accepted Solution

You don't need to change any of those settings.

Enable WAN  mode would enable the WAN port on the modem and you can then use the modem as a router.

NAT-Disable turns the modem into a switch and you would only be able to access modem on http://192.168.100.1

In answer to your previous post it would be very hard to get Telstra to replace modem with the Technicolor version. The normal support staff have no control over which modem they send as a replacement.

The parental controls in the Gen 2 modem can also be used for setting time controls on all the devices that are connected to the CG6300BD. There MAC will appear in the list on the Gen 2 modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now