msid
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting a Fortigate 30E to NBN (technicolour bigpond modem)

Answered

I would like to connect a Frotigate 30E (no wifi) to bigpond modem.  Basically I want the firewall to act as DHCP server and NAT device now, as well as controlling web traffic. I want the technicolour modem to act as a wireless router only. So the set up I want to establish as follows

NBN ------ Bigpond Modem -----Fortigate 30E |-----Squid proxy-----LAN

| -------DMZ ---Storage---Web server

Please advise, if you know the setup or steps. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting a Fortigate 30E to NBN (technicolour bigpond modem)

I assume you want the Bigpond Modem to act as a wireless switch with the Fortigate 30E acting as firewall, DHCP server and controlling the only NAT. If this is the configuration you want it is impossible to setup as shown in the diagram.

If you don't have an FTTN/B connection you could use this setup.

NBN-----Fortigate 30E |-----Squid proxy-----LAN

| -------DMZ ---Storage---Web server

| ------ Bigpond Modem 

Set the Fortigate

Internet connection type to IPOE (ISP does not require log in)

Dynamic IP.

Set Bigpond modem to Bridge mode.

If you have an FTTN/B connection and you want the Bigpond modem to act as VDSL modem plus WIFi Router (On separate NAT and DHCP server) you could use your setup but device on the connected to Fortigate Firewall will be on a separate NAT to devices connected to Telstra Modem's WiFi and also Fortigate firewall will not have a public IP address. You don't need to change any settings in the Bigpond Modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting a Fortigate 30E to NBN (technicolour bigpond modem)

I assume you want the Bigpond Modem to act as a wireless switch with the Fortigate 30E acting as firewall, DHCP server and controlling the only NAT. If this is the configuration you want it is impossible to setup as shown in the diagram.

If you don't have an FTTN/B connection you could use this setup.

NBN-----Fortigate 30E |-----Squid proxy-----LAN

| -------DMZ ---Storage---Web server

| ------ Bigpond Modem 

Set the Fortigate

Internet connection type to IPOE (ISP does not require log in)

Dynamic IP.

Set Bigpond modem to Bridge mode.

If you have an FTTN/B connection and you want the Bigpond modem to act as VDSL modem plus WIFi Router (On separate NAT and DHCP server) you could use your setup but device on the connected to Fortigate Firewall will be on a separate NAT to devices connected to Telstra Modem's WiFi and also Fortigate firewall will not have a public IP address. You don't need to change any settings in the Bigpond Modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now