CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ajbath
Level 3: Gumshoe

Content Sharing on TG799vac

I have recently upgraded my modem to a new TG799vac but having attached my external hard drive to the USB port I have found that the Music and Movies folders are locked and I can no longer add files or folders to them. I have mapped a network drive to see them and can read the files there already but can't copy anything else into those folders.

My previous modem had no problem accessing them but the new one seems to have applied some access security locking me out. Attempting to add a new folder brings up a 'Destination Folder Access Denied' error, saying I 'need permission to perform this action'.

In Properties it says the owner is S-1-22-1-0 and trying to change that says 'The program cannot open the required dialogue box because it cannot determine whether the computer named "TELSTRA-GATEWAY" is joined to a domain. Close this message and try again.' followed by another error 'Unable to display the user selection dialogue. A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.'

I use the attached drive to share my music and movie files across my WAN but now can only read what's there and can't add any more.

Any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Content Sharing on TG799vac

Hi ajbath

The USB point on the TG799vac uses content sharing which will allow media files on the connected USB harddrive to be shared to compatible devices. It is not configured to allow you to use as a network drive. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

2Dalmatian
Level 1: Cadet

sorry can you expand on this "not configures to use as a network drive"...

I have some of same issues, since attaching my HDD to my modem instead of my computer so music can be accessed from my new TV, I can only add to the drive.  If I try to cut or delete from the drive to sort into folders, it tells me 'access denied' S-1-22-1-0 o S-1-22-2-0 (I have 2 usb drives) does not have permission. 

I have mapped as drives.

Further one is playing up with when accessed by TV it worked for a while now it can't find it.

Both are listed in content sharing and have a tick under dnla share, but it says only 1 device is connected

Level 24: Supreme Being

Can you delete the files that you copy to the attached USB drives. Its possible that because you are accessing drive via network it does not recognize you as the owner of the original files on hard frive. Try attaching USB drive to PC via USB on PC and making all files and subfolders public.

2Dalmatian
Level 1: Cadet

Hi CF4

Thank you for the suggestions, however they  did not work.  I tried cut & paste on a file I had put on the HDD drive whilst plugged into the modem and it still denied me access. I can only copy from the drive or paste to if.

You are correct if I look at the files that were already on the drive, I am the owner, the files I pasted to the drive whilst it was connected to modem S-1-22-1-0 is the owner.

I have shared the named folder & all sub folders, it will not allow me to share the mapped drive itself, it has only 3 choices,...

* everyone (which I can give full permission to)

* S-1-22-1-0  ( which has special permissions the same as everyone, but want let me overrride them)

* S-1-22-2-0   (     "                           "                                         "                               "

If I could find how to allow access, permissions or share S-1-22-1-0 it would solve the issue.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now