CrowdSupport®
Grad77
Level 1: Cadet

Creating a seperate name for the 5Ghz network on the Telstra Smart Modem.

Answered

Wondering if anyone may know to create a seperate 5Ghz network (with a different name to the 2.4Ghz) on the Telstra Smart Modem (model DJA0230).

I have been trying to connect my Samsung Robot Vac with no end of errors. Samsung tech support have advised that it is because the vac cannot connect to 5Ghz networks and gets confused when a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network share the same name. Their advice is to rename the 5Ghz network, though I can't find any info anywhere on how to do this... or if it is even possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Creating a seperate name for the 5Ghz network on the Telstra Smart Modem.

To rename the 5GHz band turn of band steering by removing tick next to Band steering in the 2.4 GHz band setting page.

See section 21 of this document

If can connect to WiFi but can'y access Internet try changing DNS settings  Some Samsung Samsung devices have been able to connect to the WiFi of the Telstra Smart Modem but are unable to connect to the internet.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hi there,

If the device doesn’t support the frequency (i.e. no 5GHz chip) it will simply not see the wifi SSID, so I think their suggestion is flawed.

The stuff I’ve found are as followed;

-Samsung POWERbots support only Wi-Fi 2.4 Ghz.
-Samsung POWERbots support the communication protocol of the methods of IEEE 802.11b/g/n and Wi-Fi Direct. (Samsung Electronics recommends to use IEEE 802.11n.)

-The supported types of authorization/encryption of the wireless router are WEP-OPEN, WPA-PSK/TKIP and WPA2-PSK/AES 801.11n

-WPA2-PSK/AES is recommended to be used.

So maybe change your wifi settings to suit the vac-bot as suggested by the manual?

802.11b/g/n with WPA2-PSK/AES encryption? Mind it’s more than likely that the modem is already at these settings? Something else to consider is the possibility of interference from surrounding 2.4GHz WiFi signals.

Maybe share the process from start to finish?

Consider temporarily changing the wifi name to something basic “myhouse” use the above suggested settings..

Let us know how you went.

Cheers,
Dave

Accepted Solution

To rename the 5GHz band turn of band steering by removing tick next to Band steering in the 2.4 GHz band setting page.

See section 21 of this document

If can connect to WiFi but can'y access Internet try changing DNS settings  Some Samsung Samsung devices have been able to connect to the WiFi of the Telstra Smart Modem but are unable to connect to the internet.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more