3DB
Level 1: Cadet

D-Link DCH-M225 WiFi Booster struggling with NBN Gen 2 Smart Modem

It worked fine with my old Netgear cable modem. If I move it closer to the new NBN modem it can connect ok, but if I put it back where it always was it can't get signal. I've changing the WiFi channel in the NBN modem from 'auto' to 11. Have updated the firmware on the booster, rebooted it via the IP portal, but still no joy. It seems like the WiFi signal froth new NBN modem is just weaker than the the old Netgear cable modem. Any thoughts appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

Re: D-Link DCH-M225 WiFi Booster struggling with NBN Gen 2 Smart Modem

If you haven't done so to date, this may help.

For convenience, the Gen 2 Modems set the 'Bandsteering' function as Enabled in default setting of the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi Radio page. This also provides one SSID for both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands but unfortunately this sometimes results in poor connectivity to legacy 2.4 Ghz devices. Try Disabling the Bandsteering check box and Save - you should then see the two separate SSIDs being broadcast. Reconnect your D-Link to the 2.4Ghz SSID to test if stability and coverage improves. Hope this works for your situation. 

3DB

I think I fixed this issue by changing the "Channel Width" WiFi setting from "20 MHz" to "Auto 20/40 MHz" and also selecting Channel 7 and Extension Channel 3

Mkrtich

Thanks for the feedback. Monitor it and see how you go. With Wi-Fi there is always an element of trial, error and adjustment.

3DB

I thought I'd fixed it, but I hadn't. Same problem came back. This issue has taken me hours of downtime and the final solution: I disconnected the Telstra Smart Modem™ Gen 2 LH1000 and plugged my old Netgear CG3100D back in and everything is fixed. Fortunately the Netgear had a WAN port to make this possible. This seems to indicate that it was purely a signal strength issue and the LH1000 just doesn't have the WiFi signal power of the Netgear. The only downside I can see (for now) is that I don't have SIM backup now for when the NBN goes down.

I'm really disappointed that a brand new router is now destined for landfill. It is a metaphor for so much of what is wrong with the world.

Mkrtich

That's disappointing. Yes, I also have the CG3100D2-BPAUS - mine is 7 years old and solid as a rock, but the Arcadyan LH1000 should outclass it in Wi-Fi as it uses later technology, if it is not faulty. Did you try disabling Bandsteering? Generally for manual channel assignment, channels 1,6 and 11 are usually selected as they do no overlap with others, therefore more stable subject to neighbours Wi-Fi proximity,  but I leave it to the modem to auto assign the best channel at the time. Making the 2.4 Ghz channel width fixed to 20 Mhz ILO Auto20/40 will also make it more stable. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now