CrowdSupport®
OzEvenstar
Level 2: Rookie

D-Link DSL-4320L Setup on Telstra NBN (HFC)

Is the solution for connecting D-Link DSL-4320L Setup on Telstra NBN (HFC) the same as "accepted solution" for Telstra NBN (FTTN) by cf4 Level 24: Supreme Being (given September 2017)???

The only difference between Telstra NBN FTTN and ADSL apart from the it being VDSL is that the connection does not require a username and password.
When setting up modem set up as Dynamic IP (DHCP) as per page 68 of the manual
ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-4320L/Manuals/DSL-4320L_A1_Manual_v1.00(DI).pdf

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: D-Link DSL-4320L Setup on Telstra NBN (HFC)

You need to plug the Ethernet cable from your NBN NTD (modem) in to LAN port 4 of the D-Link and then set the LAN port 4 up as the WAN port (change the WAN Access Type to Residential Gateway).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OzEvenstar

Thank you. What about the advice cf4 (When setting up modem set up as Dynamic IP (DHCP) as per page 68 of the manual) provided?

Yes, it should be set to Dynamic IP (DHCP).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OzEvenstar

Your reply has been very helpful, but I'm still confused about one thing ... the number of modems (modem/router) I need.  As part of the Telstra package, they are meant to supply me with a SmartModem Gen 2. From your answers, I gather I must use that to connect to their device and then plug the D-Link into that. Is that correct?

If that is the case, what would I gain by having a D-Link in the setup?

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

You can connect the D-Link directly to the NBN box. You only need to use the Telstra modem if you want a phone service and you can connect the Telstra modem's WAN port to a LAN port of the D-Link modem. If you have trouble with incoming calls turn SIP ALG off in D-link. See SIP page 105 of manual

The benefit of the D-Link is you can customize more settings and some people claim the WiFi performance is better.

Highlighted
OzEvenstar

Thank you very much for your reply. Switching from ADSL to NBN is certainly more complicated than I thought it would be. Now, with your answer and those of Jupiter, I've got a better handle on it.  This should be very interesting.

At present my ADSL is hard wired to 3 different users via a Netgear modem and a StarServe system that is wired throughout the house (both for data and voice). I have been using 2 seperate land lines, one for telephone and the other limited to data ... all hard wired.  I certainly won't need 2 land lines any more and I wonder if I really need any since every member in the household is mobile provided. Mostly I've used the land line to phone relatives overseas (at ridiculously low cost), but I guess that can even be done via mobile.

I still haven't received the Telstra modem and technician is due on Thursday. I wonder what the technician will say when he looks at the way things presently are hooked up.

OzEvenstar

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yesterday, NBN technician visited and worked on installation of NBN (and the Telstra Gen2 modem arrived just before they were finished).  Mercifully, everything, including the land line telephone, worked. The speed of the NBN connection was much slower than Telstra advertised ... about 12 rather than the 80-85 promised, but heaps better than the ADSL I was using that could only manage 0.75 at best. I will stick with the Gen2 modem for the time being and see if it suits. If not, thanks to your answers, I have all the information I need to connect a d-link modem/router.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now