Fly84
Level 2: Rookie

D-Link ac3200 FTTC

Hi all, I was wondering if my D-Link ac3200 will be ok to use once nbn hits our area. Apparently we will be using FTTC. If so is it the same setup as FTTN ? Also any link to set this up would be most appreciated .
Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: D-Link ac3200 FTTC

With Fibre to the curb NBN supplies a combined VDSL modem and power feed for the terminating equipment in the street, You can plug the WAN port of the D-Link ac3200 and set it up for an IPOE connection. You will still need the Telstra modem for a VOIP adapter with its WAN port plugged into one of the D-Link ac3200 LAN ports.

Set up as per page 68 and page 69 of manual

WAN Access: Residential Gateway.

My Internet Connection: Is Dynamic (DHCP)

Host Name: leave blank

DNS Server 1 & 2: Leave blank or use custom DNS.

MAC address: Default

If you are having trouble with VOIP working see page 104 of manual. For VOIP to work the Telstra modem must first be connected directly to NBN modem. Ones phone light turns green indicating that VOIP has registered can disconnect Telstra modem,connect D-Link ac3200 to NBN modem and Telstra Modem to D-Link ac3200 LAN port. Even after a reboot or Factory reset of Telstra modem VOIP phone should continue to work.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc

Fly84

Thank you for your response. Because I am already with Telstra ( a dedicated customer) they have informed me that I could not have one of their routers because I am not a new customer. Even if I switch from adsl to men the only thing that they will do is swap us over to the nbn free of charge. So now I either use my existing router or but a Telstra modem from them . A little rich to ask that but hey it’s all about the advertising I presume. Anyway as long as I can setup the D-Link I will be happy. Again thank you for you response 👍

Even if you have your own modem Telstra supplies you with a NBN compatible modem. If they don't they will not be able to provide a phone service. When I changed to NBN I had my own third party ADSL Modem and was supplied with a Telstra modem free of charge.

Fly84

Telstra told me that they will transfer for free but will not be providing a modem
As I am not a new customer.

Do you have a phone service with Telstra? If you have a phone service and you don't have a Telstra NBN compatible modem then your phone will no longer work so Telstra has to supply you with a new modem. Suggest you ring 1800834273 and query why you are not receiving a new Telstra NBN compatible modem.

Fly84

Yes we have our adsl and landline with Telstra. We don’t use our phone anyway but as per my previous response, they had told me that they won’t supply a router as it is only for new customers, also that I could purchase a modem from them for $200 + which could be paid in full or paid I’ve 3 months. I will definitely give them a call and ask them again
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Fly84

Just wanted to check in and see how you went with our NBN team via 1800834273?

I look forward to your response.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Fly84

I haven’t spoken to your team after posting here. I’m not sure if I am going to stay with Telstra after reading that some people will get a router when I was told no and that it is only for new customers. I found the answer I was after and thank you to everyone for the information that I needed
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Fly84,

Customers transitioning to the nbn network who don’t have an nbn compatible modem will receive a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 for $0 Existing or recontracting customers can buy a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 outright or with a Hardware Repayment Option (HRO).

The Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 is $216 outright RRP or $9/month for existing Telstra customers.

If you'd like to discuss anything account specific, please speak with us securely online here or by calling 1800 834 273.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now