CrowdSupport®
Rod1945
Level 2: Rookie

DEVG2020 netgeear modem - phone call reliability.

Answered

We use a DEVG2020 Netgear modem installed in July 2014 for phone conferencing in a hall.  Also used to update one computer when needed. Each call is out-gong to the conferencing system then we feed the sound from our addresses (three or four times each week) to the conference system which is external to us.  Others call into that system to receive the conference call - they do not call into us - they rely on it, so do we.  We therefore only make three or four calls each week - of duration of about an hour - perhaps a little more each time, but reliability is very poor and cost per call is very high as this is pretty much all we do. However the phone call from our end that the conference depends on drops out frequently and we have to recall to restart the conference - what do we need to check/do to fix this embarrassing problem please. It appears to be the phone ONLY that drops out - not the internet which usually is still connected and working.  We have checked with the conference system Techs and the problem is not at their end and many others are using the same system without problems, however they indicated that some Telstra modems are notorious for this problem.  Any solutions please?

Rod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rod1945
Accepted Solution

Re: DEVG2020 netgeear modem - phone call reliability.

Thank you for the reply

A few things:  

We are connected to NBN and the phone to one of the phone ports on the modem.

My reference to cost is to the $85 per month from Telstra when we use about 2-5 gb of data and make very few calls - albeit important ones, then the internet is slow and the phone drops out.  Hardly a bargain.

We use OEG for the conference calls which is based in Adelaide and this seems to work well - except when Adelaide power was blitzed by the storms last year.  Hardly their fault. 

This system is simpler and easier to use than most - we phone in to it from Perth - enter a code for the conference and a pin to use it.  Users then call into that conference (to OEG in Adelaide not to us here in Perth) using the same conference number and a pin.  They pay a local call and we pay a fee for the conference - not sure how much but our Treasurers have never complained.  We have personally used it many times in various locations in WA, SA, Vic, Qld and usually very good.  Many people across OZ use it and appreciate it - often in isolated situations.

We have spoken to others using this system (one yesterday) and they often have similar problems.  It seems to always be the same problem that is the real concern.

All our investigations point to the phone connection to the modem.  Some have relaced the modem (and Telstra) and apparently overcome the problems.

While the internet has dropped out on some Sundays, this was probably NBN doing things with the line in an area where most businesses are at the footy and we are at church.

It is the dropouts where the internet seems to be still going fine (who  knows if it dropped out for a few seconds) and that may have dropped the conference call at our end.

It is a netgear 2020 modem as best I can determine and we have been on the Netgear website to check for problems - they do speak of a problem with the integrity of the phone call - due to downstream and/or upstream Power Levels - they say they need to be within -7 to +7 dBmV (downstream) and 38-48 dBmV Upstream.  They give a method to check this in the modem under Cable Connection (we use NBN) and I cannot find Cable Connection in the modem setup etc details - Is nbn classed as Cable??  I presume not but cannot find anything that speaks of the line levels in the system.This is the problem that has been highlighted by OEG also.

As we are 14 km from the hall I cannot be there all the time and often doing other things when I am there, so this will be a slow process but we would like to get on top of it.

Kindest regards

Rod

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Disconnections can be difficult to diagnose. Are you using an ADSL service with a telephone connected to a line filter/or PSTN port on the modem or an NBN service with the phone connected to the VoIP handset port? VoIP calls do not take up a lot of bandwidth and are categorised under Quality of Service conditions by Telstra - unfortunately it is not always a 100% guaranteed end to end connection given all the variables that may be at play in the Internet; most frustrating outcome being one way calls. Having said that, I wouldn't expect regular drop outs to occur on the Telstra network as it is highly engineered for VoIP. 

Do drop outs occur when you call other parties regularly from the phone or just when you call in to the Conference Bridge Service Provider? Is the provider based in Australia, as your comment about cost of calls surprised me, Telstra has business and residential plans with free outgoing national calls. I realise that their may be 1800 numbers involved for calling parties and that the Conference Provider would also be charging you for their service. They may be using SIP Trunking or Digital Exchange lines on their Gateway and the Conference Bridge, so issues may be within their network or conference bridge equipment. 

Does the conference initiation require you to set it up via your computer as a cloud service for data sharing with invitees or do just use the phone? If you have a mobile phone, can you initiate a test conference call to a few parties as the Conference Leader to see if the connection is maintained without drop out.  

Apart from that, if it occurs repeatedly, if you haven't done so already, suggest a report to Telstra for line and modem testing. You may also qualify for an upgrade to equipment or network service which may improve matters. 

Rod1945
Accepted Solution

Thank you for the reply

A few things:  

We are connected to NBN and the phone to one of the phone ports on the modem.

My reference to cost is to the $85 per month from Telstra when we use about 2-5 gb of data and make very few calls - albeit important ones, then the internet is slow and the phone drops out.  Hardly a bargain.

We use OEG for the conference calls which is based in Adelaide and this seems to work well - except when Adelaide power was blitzed by the storms last year.  Hardly their fault. 

This system is simpler and easier to use than most - we phone in to it from Perth - enter a code for the conference and a pin to use it.  Users then call into that conference (to OEG in Adelaide not to us here in Perth) using the same conference number and a pin.  They pay a local call and we pay a fee for the conference - not sure how much but our Treasurers have never complained.  We have personally used it many times in various locations in WA, SA, Vic, Qld and usually very good.  Many people across OZ use it and appreciate it - often in isolated situations.

We have spoken to others using this system (one yesterday) and they often have similar problems.  It seems to always be the same problem that is the real concern.

All our investigations point to the phone connection to the modem.  Some have relaced the modem (and Telstra) and apparently overcome the problems.

While the internet has dropped out on some Sundays, this was probably NBN doing things with the line in an area where most businesses are at the footy and we are at church.

It is the dropouts where the internet seems to be still going fine (who  knows if it dropped out for a few seconds) and that may have dropped the conference call at our end.

It is a netgear 2020 modem as best I can determine and we have been on the Netgear website to check for problems - they do speak of a problem with the integrity of the phone call - due to downstream and/or upstream Power Levels - they say they need to be within -7 to +7 dBmV (downstream) and 38-48 dBmV Upstream.  They give a method to check this in the modem under Cable Connection (we use NBN) and I cannot find Cable Connection in the modem setup etc details - Is nbn classed as Cable??  I presume not but cannot find anything that speaks of the line levels in the system.This is the problem that has been highlighted by OEG also.

As we are 14 km from the hall I cannot be there all the time and often doing other things when I am there, so this will be a slow process but we would like to get on top of it.

Kindest regards

Rod

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rod1945,

I appreciate your reply is to @Mkrtich although as they have not replied I would suggest reaching out to our tech support team to see what they can suggest. You can call through on 133933 or chat live on the following sceure chat link  https://tel.st/pzger

I do hope they can help, keep us in the loop.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Rod - I think that @Angela_H  has worthy advice and suggest you take up her offer. Telstra should also be able to see a log of events that show the drop outs when they remote into your modem for possible fault analysis.  

Just for your background information. NBN is delivered in a variety of ways - cable usually means Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) - you would see a black coax cable coming out of a wall outlet and connected to a small NBN Modem (Netgear or Arris brand) and the Netgear DEVG2020 would be connected to that with a WAN Ethernet cable. If you have NBN via FTTN (N=Node) or FTTC(C=Curb), the connection to your hall will be with a telephone cable. The FTTN will connect directly to a wall socket like previous ADSL and the FTTC will connect via a white NBN NCD (Network Connection Device made by Netcomm).

I think you can only view transmission characteristics on FTTN and FTTC as you are directly sending information to the internet from your modem. In the NBN HFC set up you have to pass it through to the Netgear or Arris modem and I don't think you can see their screens. 

Transmission characteristics are measured differently for HFC Cable vs FTTN/FTTC. 

If your existing set up uses the later and you can see a menu that shows something like - Maintenance/Connection/Diagnostics - they may show three measurements that indicate the health of the link - Output Power, Line Attenuation ( three measurements for different frequencies) and Signal to Noise Margin. You would also see some statistics that would indicate actual Download and Upload Link Speed and similar statistics for Download and Upload Throughput Speeds that may be near to the subscribed NBN service e.g. if applicable, a Tier 50 nominal speed of 50/20 may indicate near to 40/15 Mbps. All these parameters can indicate the health of the link, but may not reveal the cause of the drop outs.

HFC measurements are generally Output Power and Signal to Noise Ratio (different to SNR Margin), but as I said you may not see these figures. 

OED look like an Educational Institution and may outsource their audio conference facilities or host them on their telephone system or via a special add-on conference gateway connected to their internal IP Network - not unusual for occasional drop outs to occur but would not expect it to be a regular event, particularly if they are always happening on audio conferences initiated from your end.  

I hope that Telstra can resolve the puzzle for you and make your audio conferences less stressful. 

Highlighted
Rod1945

Thank you Angela and Mkrtich.  You are both helpful.  I have also isolated a couple of things to check on our system - like splitters still in the phone line - I think we removed all of these when we rewired the phone for nbn, but the phone lines have been moved several times over the years (in a 50 year old hall)  and I will double check there is not some hidden connect somewhere.  Also - I am half an hour from the hall and need a few hours when I chase up stuff like this so need time (also need a few days as am about to have my next eye injection for macular degeneration which puts my eyes at a severe disadvantage for a couple of days).

Will then follow up with the Tech people.

Will follow up here if I come across some other hidden wisdom that works.

Many thanks

Rod

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now