CrowdSupport®
ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

DJA0230TLS, Firmware Upgrade 18.1.c.0443-950-RA, & No 5GHz

Hi all,

A little hi-jinx to report with the DJA0230TLS Gen. 1 Smart Modem.

Friday 8th Nov. (yesterday) my wife complained she couldn't connect to our 5GHz AP. It wasn't on the AP list any more.

A trip inside the console showed the problem. Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz APs had the same SSID Smiley Surprised.

I.E., say the 2.4 GHz SSID had - until yesterday - been "TwoPointFourSSID" and the 5 GHz SSID had been "FiveSSID", both now had the 2.4 GHz's SSID! (See pic).

SameNameEtc.png

And they both had the same key, the 2.4 GHz AP's. So, the only devices able to access the router were those able to use the 2.4 GHz band.

I assume this was caused by Band Steering being turned on (see Section 21 of cf4's unofficial manual). The only question being, who/what turned Band Steering on given I'm pretty sure I didn't.

A month ago, we'd had Firmware Version 17.2.0468-820-RA, and Friday night, 18.1.c.0443-950-RA. So, I can only think the firmware upgrade is the culprit. (Coincidentally (?), there was a Telstra outage on Friday also, just to muddy the waters).

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Cheers

ausgumbie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Re: DJA0230TLS, Firmware Upgrade 18.1.c.0443-950-RA, & No 5GHz

That is very interesting. Band Steering is set to Default ON with Telstra Smart Gen 2 Modems, so normally you have to turn it OFF to get two separate SSIDs. Your modem appears to have been cross upgraded from previous Gen 1 Firmware to latest Gen 2 Firmware - unaware if intentional by Telstra or via a glitch. Hopefully everything else is working for you OK.

Gen 1 DJA0230 FW was always 17.2 Series and Gen 2 DJA0231 FW was always 18.1 series. The last Gen 2 FW reference I have seen was 18.1.c.0429-950-RA, so your version 18.1.c.0443-950-RA appears to be more up to date than that one. 

Level 24: Supreme Being

@Mkrtich 18.1.c.0443-950-RA is the latest Gen 1 FW update as of a couple of weeks ago

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Thanks for clarification. As a matter of interest, do Gen 1 and Gen 2 Modems now share the same firmware levels or are they maintained at different 18.1.c versions given that they do have some differences in functionality i.e. 802.11ac Wave 1 SU-MIMO vs Wave2 MU-MIMO, EasyMesh and Extended DFS Support.

ausgumbie

Many thanks Mkrtich & Yastiandrie!

Just an addition to my op - I did disable Band Steering of course and noted the previous password for 5GHz automatically restored itself (Smiley Happy). However, I had to manually re-enter the original SSID. Oh well...

Good to know I have the latest firmware. Also I share Mkrtich's curiosity: "do Gen 1 and Gen 2 Modems now share the same firmware levels or are they maintained at different 18.1.c versions".

And, as ever, kudos to cf4 for the manuals without which folk like me would really be lost.

Cheers

ausgumbie

I don't think it makes a difference as individual hardware updates can be delivered independently if required. V18 does bring a slew of features with it including the extra tab the Gen 1 now has displayed in the OP

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

High @ausgumbie 

Have just received the 18.1.c.0443-950-RA firmware upgrade. The process of upgrading did not effect band steering it remained disabled on my modem.

The modems GUI is almost identical to the Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 2 (DJA0231), the only difference I have noticed is in the mobile settings due to the external antenna sockets on Gen 1 modem. Has even inherited some of the same bugs the major one being the Internet Graph for a DSL connection only records data for last 10 minutes and does not record total internet data (Basic > Services > Traffic Monitor). See image below.

D9C6DDC9-7FC9-4710-BF90-1A539C22EAA4.jpeg

There has been extra WiFi diagnostic tools added to the Advanced > WiFi Settings the same as the Technicolor Gen 2 Modem.

• Analyser 2.4 GHz
  • Analyser 5 GHz
  • Client Monitor

The Advanced > Local Network settings has drop down IPv4 and IPv6 DNS service selection menu the same as the Gen 2 modems.

There is no extra 5G Network in the Traffic Monitoring section like on the Gen 2 Technicolor modem so I don't think it can act as a controller for the Gen 2 booster.

ausgumbie

Thanks Yastiandrie and cf4

I'll keep an eye on the Band Steering status with us.

We've had weird outages recently - one being on the same day as the Band Steering issue. Bush-fires apparently are wreaking a bit of havoc with Telstra infrastructure at the moment.

However, I do recall a situation over a month or two ago where my wife lamented she couldn't connect to the internet (we were reduced to 4G backup, but devices should have been connected). I remember I experimented by enabling Band Steering. I do know we ended up with the wife connected to the internet. So, it may be that I myself left Band Steering on after the event.

But anyhow, we'll keep that under watch.

Is there any way to find out what Technicolor upgrades deliver? E.g., if you want to find what any given Windows 10 or Adobe etc. upgrade addresses, you just go to the site.

Cheers

ausgumbie

These days you have more chance getting blood out of a stone than getting any Technical information out of Telstra. As a member of the Brains trust I sometimes get information about Firmware updates and when I do I include them in the manuals.

There is no Telstra Web sites with modem firmware updates.

ausgumbie

Thanks cf4

Sadly, I had rather suspected it was another case of Telstra not sharing Smiley Sad.

But, thanks as ever to you guys for passing on what you do find out! A lot of us would be up the creek without it.

All the best

ausgumbie

commentkcore
Level 1: Cadet

I've just become physically enraged trying to get some tech support in this area. So it appears that all that has been mentioned here, regarding Technicolor DJA0230TLS now getting 18.1.c firmware explains the problem I had.

So I have noticed in the past couple of weeks my modem restarting intermittently but on an "on the hour" point, during the early ours of the morning.

Finally, on Sunday I noticed the same, and my RDP/ssh sessions for devices in my internal network failing on name resolution. I had them setup against the .gateway DNS suffix that was default for my modem. Now it appeared that they all switched to .modem by default.

It was really irritating. I have to change bookmarks, RDP session saves, etc. on demand now. I know that I could simply have used .local, or no domain at all, but I have a "switched' setup that will either tunnel when .gateway is referenced, and no tunnel when .local is used. It's not optimal, but there are reasons for it.

Now I can confirm what has been said here. I have 18.1c as my version.

Can I ask, is there anyway to see a history of the upgrades? Or simply confirm that the last restart was due to an upgrade???

ausgumbie

Hi @commentkcore 

@commentkcore wrote:

I've just become physically enraged trying to get some tech support in this area. ...

Reading this, I wondered if you'd been phoning overseas for help? If so, let me urge you - as I do to everyone, and with all the fanaticism of a reformed smoker - use Telstra 24x7 Chat. You can be more detailed than in a phone call, and be assured that whatever you wanted to say is there in black-and-white. You can download, or have emailed, (or both for chips & giggles) a transcript of your conversation with the tech/s in case it's needed later (e.g., a TIO complaint).

@commentkcore wrote:

So I have noticed in the past couple of weeks my modem restarting intermittently but on an "on the hour" point, during the early ours of the morning.

Now this is an interesting observation from the point of view of my spinoff interest in the possibility, raised by another Crowdie, that upgrade 18.1.c.0443-950-RA may be causing dropouts. Given I may be looking at 22 dropouts in six days myself, it'll be interesting to map the times of the dropouts. (Assuming I can do that).

@commentkcore wrote:

Can I ask, is there anyway to see a history of the upgrades?

From @cf4's post just above, I'd say that would be a "No". Smiley Frustrated

All the best

ausgumbie

ausgumbie

Hi again @commentkcore 

@commentkcore wrote:

Or simply confirm that the last restart was due to an upgrade???

Quoting @cf4 in the thread Increasing dropouts since Firmware Upgrade 18.1.c.0443-950-RA:

The main problem with the Technicolor log is it gets reset at each reboot which makes it difficult to find faults that cause modem reboots. The Arcadyan and F@st5355 logs anly reset when modems were factory reset.

What can you say?

Cheers

ausgumbie

ausgumbie

Apologies - I posted that last bit with my brain in neutral and then left it too long to edit.

A few lines from one of my logs from Friday 8th November:

Mon Oct 21 20:30:13 2019 user.notice warmboot: reason:8 8:UPGRADE

Mon Oct 21 20:30:18 2019 user.notice firmware-upgrade-ext: Starting firmware-upgrade-ext

Mon Oct 21 20:30:23 2019 user.notice firmware-upgrade-ext: All component firmware is correct.
Mon Oct 21 20:30:24 2019 user.info root: Mmpbx starting mmpbx.state=STARTING
Mon Oct 21 20:30:24 2019 daemon.err modprobe: dsphal is already loaded
Fri Nov 8 05:05:17 2019 kern.notice kernel: [ 140.648000] [SLICSLAC] slicslac_init: Starting SLIC/SLAC driver.

"Mon Oct 21" seems to be a nonsense date the Technicolor software gives to record that part of the upgrade occurring before the time server synchronises. Note the last line is "Fri Nov 8". In fact all this occurred on that date around 5:00 in the morning.

I'll leave you in peace

Cheers

ausgumbie

commentkcore

@ausgumbie wrote:

Hi @commentkcore 

@commentkcore wrote:

I've just become physically enraged trying to get some tech support in this area. ...

Reading this, I wondered if you'd been phoning overseas for help? If so, let me urge you - as I do to everyone, and with all the fanaticism of a reformed smoker - use Telstra 24x7 Chat. You can be more detailed than in a phone call, and be assured that whatever you wanted to say is there in black-and-white. You can download, or have emailed, (or both for chips & giggles) a transcript of your conversation with the tech/s in case it's needed later (e.g., a TIO complaint).

This was Telstra 24x7 Chat. The agent I was speaking to said he'd have to refer it to Tplatform team, and I would be charged for the service. They claimed there was no other avenue they could take, so I just dropped the attempt.

@ausgumbie wrote:

Apologies - I posted that last bit with my brain in neutral and then left it too long to edit.

Mon Oct 21 20:30:18 2019 user.notice firmware-upgrade-ext: Starting firmware-upgrade-ext

Mon Oct 21 20:30:23 2019 user.notice firmware-upgrade-ext: All component firmware is correct.
Fri Nov 8 05:05:17 2019 kern.notice kernel: [ 140.648000] [SLICSLAC] slicslac_init: Starting SLIC/SLAC driver.

"Mon Oct 21" seems to be a nonsense date the Technicolor software gives to record that part of the upgrade occurring before the time server synchronises. Note the last line is "Fri Nov 8". In fact all this occurred on that date around 5:00 in the morning.

I'll leave you in peace

Cheers

ausgumbie

Thanks for that. So, I have had a like profile for a while. My IP address was changing constantly, so I re-instituted a script I have that emails out my IP address when it changes (I have dynamic dns too, but I wanted a safety net too). The first entry was when I reenabled the script, so I had started having the "dropouts" for a few days before at that point. You can see the "on the hour" drop outs. They've stopped since Sunday, when the DNS change occurred. My theory is that the update attempts have been failing, because my ADSL is complete garbage (3mbps).

image.png

commentkcore

@ausgumbie wrote:

I'll leave you in peace

Cheers

ausgumbie

I actually posted a response already, and now it is gone :-(, I can't see it.

Thanks for your response. I was chatting via Telstra 24x7. But the agent couldn't help, said that the only avenue for escalation was to the Tplatform team, and that it was a chargeable (on me) service. So I gave up.

I just want to correct the record. I have realised that the reason that I thought my drop out profile was "on the hour" is because I am basing it off of emails being sent out by a script that I run "on the hour". The below shows the changes to my IP address (they started earlier than 18-Oct when I re-instituted a script to get an audit trail. I have dynamic dns registered to).

image.png

I have a theory that there have been several upgrade attempts, but my ADSL is bad that the upgrade process fails (I get 3 mbps).

ausgumbie

Hi commentkcore,

Your initial post evidently made it Smiley Happy.

You wrote:

This was Telstra 24x7 Chat. The agent I was speaking to said he'd have to refer it to Tplatform team, and I would be charged for the service. They claimed there was no other avenue they could take, so I just dropped the attempt.

And...

I was chatting via Telstra 24x7. But the agent couldn't help, said that the only avenue for escalation was to the Tplatform team, and that it was a chargeable (on me) service. So I gave up.

I'd hoped that might have been a mistake and the reference was to "Telstra IoT Platform", the online literature about which makes occasional reference to their "team of experts". However, a bit more googling tells me "Tplatform" refers to "a cloud solution that provides a development platform for web mining application". Of a Telstra Tplatform Team there was nary a word on google or duckduckgo.

Being asked to pay raises flags to me, but then it would depend on the nature of your request to Telstra. At least you would have a transcript of it. It may be possible you have grounds for a complaint (either to Telstra Complaints or Telstra CEO). Call me a cynic, but confidence is not high that you would achieve a calming resolution thereby. Undeniably, one would be nice, but the complaint is the point. If you run that gauntlet first, and then complain to the TIO, they apparently take it up themselves. (Without pursuing the formal complaint process, the TIO will happily accept your complaint, then promptly shunt it off to Telstra Complaints). I do caution that it's all a taxing process (to put it mildly) and you may well consider it isn't worth pursuing in this particular case. Or at this time anyhow.

Unfortunately, here is where I have to out myself as one who knows very little about much.

I've had no experience with ADSL or Remote Desktop Management and must hope the community experts can contribute something in this area.

All the best

ausgumbie

@commentkcore 

I don't think the update is causing your problems it is more likely to be a line fault. Could you post your line status and link diagnostics statistics. These will  indicate if there is a fault on your ADSL link. On the modem you will find them here.

http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > Link Status Tab

http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics Tab.

See images below for

Smart_Modem_DSL_Link_Status_48Mbps.jpgDSL link 49 Mbpsfrontier_Link_Diagnostic.JPG

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now