Highlighted
doobieau
Level 5: Eagle Eye

DSL connection shows Disconnected (gateway technicolour TG797nv3)-no internet connection.

Answered

Hi all,

Today, all of a sudden, I lost all internet connection - I don't know why or how, it just stopped as if it had a hissy fit.

In my modem settings, under "Broadband", it shows "DSL disconnected".

On the modem itself it has all lights green (except DECT and WPS which are not lit up and never have been).

I have turned the modem off and pulled the plug a number of times and also shut the PC without any better result.

(My landline phone is ok and able to make calls).

When I have changed my module status to "off" on my firewall (Bitdefender) I am able to connect to internet/email without a problem.

When I enable the firewall again, I am not able to get internet/email/WiFi

It seem the DSL is the problem (I think) but can't get it resolved.

Another PC in the house does not have any problem in connecting to internet - just my PC.

Does anyone have any solutions??

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
doobieau
Accepted Solution

Re: DSL connection shows Disconnected (gateway technicolour TG797nv3)-no internet connection.

Solved....After further looking around for answers, I then thought, why not do a 'repair'

Seems to have worked and with all appropriate enabled criteria that I want all working correctly.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: DSL connection shows Disconnected (gateway technicolour TG797nv3)-no internet connection.

The DSL is only used for FTTB, FTTN and ADSL connections. For all other types of connections the DSL will show disconnected as its not used. The fact that all lights are green on the modem except WPS and DECT and you can access Internet on another computer indicates there is nothing wrong with your Internet connection.

When you disable firewall on bit defender on your PC the PC can access the Internet indicates it is bit defender that is causing the loss of Internet.

You could try the following

open Bitdefender, go to Firewall panel and make sure it is turned on

- click on "Network details" and locate the adapter. It is either Local Area Connection if the device is connected by cable or Wireless Area connection if it is a wireless device

- for this particular adapter please set

*Network type to Trusted

* Stealth mode to Off

* Generic to Yes

and click Close.

doobieau

Thank you for your quick reply.

What you mention makes sense that Bitdefender is causing the issue.

I have done what you suggest in 'changing' the Bitdefender settings. (all opposite to what they were).

However, this has not fixed the problem.

On bringing up my browswer (google Chrome) it states "there is no internet connection" - It suggests to run "Windows Network Diagnostics".

I ran that and it comes up with "Problems found...Security or Firewall settings might be blocking the connection".

Also, in the bottom right task bar, the little square symbol states "Network Internet Acess" (clicking on that symbol a blue side screen appears stating "Network Connected")  

doobieau

I have just also tried disabling "Block Port Scans in the Network" and this allows internet access (at the moment).

But obviously I would rather have that enabled.
doobieau
Accepted Solution

Solved....After further looking around for answers, I then thought, why not do a 'repair'

Seems to have worked and with all appropriate enabled criteria that I want all working correctly.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now