CrowdSupport®
Thorpef1
Level 2: Rookie

Devices not connecting to Telstra smart modem 2 after firmware push

Answered

Hi everyone. 

Yesterday a number of my devices disconnected from my Telstra Gen 2 smart modem. 

It seems to have completed  an automated firmware upgrade at around 8.30am yesterday as that's when my devices went offline and unable to connect. 

Firmware Number 18.1.c.0443-950-RA
Modem Make Model Technicolor DJA0231

I have tried to reconnect the devices but they do not see the wifi network (yet other devices such as phones, laptops etc connect fine)

Thanks

Luke 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Devices not connecting to Telstra smart modem 2 after firmware push

It could be the recent firmware update has caused the 2.4 GHz band to stop working or it could be that the 2.4 GHz might have gone faulty coincidentally at the same time as firmware update. I suggest you contact Telstra support and report a fault with the modems 2.4 GHz band. There have been a few other posts with same problem see this thread.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/2-4GHz-WiFi-not-working-5GHz-working-fine/td-...

Highlighted
Thorpef1
Accepted Solution

Thankyou. 

I spoke with Telstra support and after 30 minutes of frustration they agreed to ship a new smart modem. 

Thanks for the assistance 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9

The devices that can't connect do you know if the devices that can't connect are dual band or are ones that only support the 2.4GHz WiFi band?

Thorpef1

They seem to be only compatible with 2.4ghz

Accepted Solution

It could be the recent firmware update has caused the 2.4 GHz band to stop working or it could be that the 2.4 GHz might have gone faulty coincidentally at the same time as firmware update. I suggest you contact Telstra support and report a fault with the modems 2.4 GHz band. There have been a few other posts with same problem see this thread.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/2-4GHz-WiFi-not-working-5GHz-working-fine/td-...

Highlighted
Thorpef1
Accepted Solution

Thankyou. 

I spoke with Telstra support and after 30 minutes of frustration they agreed to ship a new smart modem. 

Thanks for the assistance 

LLY74
Level 1: Cadet

I am  having this same problem. 

LLY74

Do you know if there is a patch of any sorts coming or should I ask for the modem to be replaced.

Telstra has identified the cause of the problem and is working on a patch but I don't know when it will be released.

linuxgeek

Good to hear. I have the same issue (from several days ago) and several of my clients who have the same Technicolor DJA0231 modem.

Another client with the same modem had a curious issue that occurred at the same time (as the above 2.4 GHz malfunction), but could also be unrelated - everything works OK (Internet access, I mean) but for some reason ESET Internet Security (running on the laptop, where it's been happily running for months with no issues) cannot connect to the ESET server. Any attempt to connect to ESET opens up the Modem page (192.168.0.1). Just typing eset.com into the browser (any browser) goes straight to 192.168.0.1. Everything else works normally (all other sites.) It's a strange issue. (EDIT. I've checked the hosts file, it's not "poisoned", ie it is normal.)

Try changing the DNS settings in the modem. Change both IPv4 and IPv6 and either reboot modem or reconnect device. This will bypass Telstra broadband protect which as well as blocking maloius sites also blocks other sites as well. There is a drop down menu at Advanced > Local Network with a list of DNS services. See section 33 of document linked at end of this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now