CrowdSupport®
Level 22: Superhuman

Did someone try to hack or Jam my TGN797 v3 last night?

Answered

Throwing this out to the community.

I'm on NBN, with the above modem.  It's got a STRONG password on the admin, and a very strong access key for Wifi, as well as the "Guest" Wifi I have for testing stuff.

Oh, and it's got Telephony enabled (T-Hubs and stuff)

So, last night around 10.20 pm, my laptop could not browse or read emails. 

So I refreshed a page, and it came up with a DNS error.

So I looked at the Wifi on the laptop, and it was connected to my SSID. 

Repeat, and then my Wifi on the laptop had "Limited access" so this being wierd, I disabled the Wifi on the lptop and reconnected. 

So now it gets even more weird. It had an "authentication problem".  So I went to the network and connections and see my SSID, my neighbours SSID, and a NEW network which was something like "DIRECT_836xxx<some other characters>, and it's signal strength was the same as both my network and the guest network.

Ahah, I said.  Some rat **bleep** neighbour is swamping me.Smiley Surprised

So I get out my trusty smartphone, and see that IT cannot connect either.  So I run the Wifi analyzer, and it shows that there are 3 networks, including the aforementioned new network, and it was right over the top of mine.  So using the "radar" feature, I followed around to see which of my neighbours was going to get a late night knock on ther door, and taught about how to correctly setup a network.

NO - the radar took me right to my modem.

So this is wierd. I logged onto the modem via an ethernet connected PC, and as I did so, the modem rebooted.

When it came up again, there was no sign of the "rogue" Wifi SSID, and all the devices could connect.

During the whole thing, none of my ethernet devices had any issues.

Now because of the stupid way Telstra configures the modem, there's no way for me to look at the logs BEFORE the reboot, (they get flushed it seems, when there is a reboot) so I can't see what happened.

I didn't get chance to do screen shots, because, well, I didn't think it was my router that was misbehaving.

I checked all of the router settings, and nothing is out of order.

I'm, not changing passwords or SSID's, because I want to see if I can capture this next time it happens.

So, does anyone have a clue?  Could it have been a Telstra tech doing upgrades or what?

The other alternative is some one is jamming, but I would have assumed my WiFi analyzer would have not led me to my own router.

Discuss.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: OK - update on Jammer - it seems to be a remote controlled drone??

Hi Wanglese,

When I visited my sister yesterday I helped her connect her Epson printer directly to the WiFi, it had a similar SSID as: Direct-uXM238 so I think that may be part of what is going on.

I would suggest configuring your modem to use a different WiFi channel eg: 11 - 13 to help get away from the other devices.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

OK - update on Jammer - it seems to be a remote controlled drone??

OK,

I couldn't underatand what was going on, and it happened again today.

If my TGN797v3 is on the same channel as the  Direct-uXM238x series WiFi signal, it all ends in tears.  None of my WiFi devices connect.  It's almost as though the authentication packets get scrambled.

It happened today, and it's still going on. I've tried to triagulate whare it is.

OK, a Google search show the closest thing is a DualSky related motor:

https://www.google.com.au/#q=xm2830

So I'm guessing this is the remote control, and it would explain the problem with triangulation.  I couldn't see the drone anywhere, but the signal strength did vary

http://www.modelflight.com.au/blog/tag/dualsky/

So I'm wondering if this is interfering with WiFi?

Shouldn't the frequencies be different, and not overlap?

Anyone else got thoughts?

Here's a screenshot of the WiFi analyzer on my xPeria Z1:

Screenshot_Drone.png

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

That is really weird, I'm flagging this so one of our Technical Support Consultants can have a look on Monday.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Wanglese,

When I visited my sister yesterday I helped her connect her Epson printer directly to the WiFi, it had a similar SSID as: Direct-uXM238 so I think that may be part of what is going on.

I would suggest configuring your modem to use a different WiFi channel eg: 11 - 13 to help get away from the other devices.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

- Shelly

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: OK It's a SAMSUNG!

hey @Shellock, @thedylan

Embarrassment.  Here's the resolution.  Shelly is right, but there's a wrinkle.

My daughter has a Samsung Smartphone (one of the newer ones).

About 2 months ago, I bought a Samsung WiFi Laser printer from Officeworks.  Beautiful printer, but it's in another room.

Now I Didn't set up WiFi Direct, but my daughter, clever little minx, saw that the printer can do Samsung Direct Print from her mobile phone, so she turned it on via the admin pages.  I'm proud of her for figuring it outSmiley LOL

BUT:  if you DON'T move the TGN Gateway to a different channel, the Samsung dominates on Channel 7, if there is interference on 7, it moves around.

I was debugging yesterday, and yes, as soon as I turned OFF WiFi Direct, my WiFi devices were happy. As soon as I turned it ON, all of my Wifi Devices could no longer reliably access the router, and I got Authentication Errors, just as if I was being Jammed.

BTW, the Samsung M2835DW  (and who looks at the model number of a printer that is in a different room?) was also affecting my neighbours WiFi, but not so much.  This puts out such a stong signal, that I could print to it from 4 houses away, just using my daughters Samsung phone.

So, panic over,  but Now we know about a New Thing.

BTW, Samsung WiFi direct is switched OFF, LOL

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: OK It's a SAMSUNG!

Ah that'll explain it Smiley Happy

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of the issue. 

-Matt W

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more