CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Stormtigers2017
Level 3: Gumshoe

Do I need PSTN if not using VOIP and do I have to use Telstra Modem to activate

Answered

Geting very pissed, i know my modem is NBN ready, it doesnt have VOIP and I dont care. Tech guys said its good to go, D-Link said setup is good to go. Cannot get Telstra to activate without running through hoops. Tried to get remote config done, no rj45 to 610 plug provided. I already have thatlead from ADSL. But new modem has "ADSL Line splitter and filter " , one side goes PSTN the other to the Dsl port. I am not gome so teying to talk my partner through this. 24/7 supoort trying to tell her we need get port rewired to RJ45. Now thats just downright crap, there are 610 to RJ45 convertors at most electromics stores. I removed an ADSL filter off the line in preparation but now think it could have stayed. So my questions

1. Do i have to have a PSTN line connection if i am only using DSL (almost positive answer is no).

2. DO i have to connect Telstra modem initially to initiate our NBN connection, and then unplug phone lead and plug into our AC3200 ? All i can think of is Telstra sending some signal and expecting a reply froma gateway modem.

Appreviate knowledgeable repliez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Do I need PSTN if not using VOIP and do I have to use Telstra Modem to activate

1: Im not ware of adaptors being sent out for 610's as the existing cable would be able to be used in most cases.

2: True, the existing connection can be used.

3: Hardware used is personal preference

4: I cant comment on that.

5: It should work.
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Do I need PSTN if not using VOIP and do I have to use Telstra Modem to activate

Technically any adsl service has a pstn service attached whether or not its used.

Simplest option would be to set up the telstra modem then bridge it to your dlink.

Also what type of NBN are you getting?
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Stormtigers2017

FTTN. As far as I was concerned tbe transition should not have required anything our end. My AC3200 was set to xdsl modem router and dynamic DHCP. Tech support said yep dlink said yep but NO u have to connect our modem first. Is there a verufucation signal or something ? In theory my wife shud be able unplug phone line from AC3200 modem and plug into gateway modem jobs done. Then when internet starts unug phone line and pmug it back into AC3200. Is tbere something magic in the process I dont know about ?
Level 24: Supreme Being

You can use the Dlink modem if you don't want to use the VOIP service.

You don't need to use Telstra Modem to initiate NBN connection. Just ring Telstra and tell them you are ready to connect.Telstra will inform you of the day you will be connected and a rough estimate of the time

When your line gets connected to the node the Dlink modem should automatically detect the VDSL signal and reconfigure itself to connect as a VDSL modem but you will have to reconfigure the internet connection type in the modem to IPOE (ISP does not require a login}. The connection to Node is done by NBN technician not a Telstra Technician.

It would be much easier to use the Telstra Gateway as the gateway automatically reconfigure everything for the NBN connection. Once NBN is working through Telstra Gateway unplug the Telstra Modem, plug in the Dlink and reconfigure the Internet connection type to IPOE. Using Telstra Gateway will simplify fault finding if the connection does not work.

There is a hello and setup process when the telstra gateway is plugged in and phones home. But once the internet is working on the telstra gateway you should be able to use your dlink as long as its compatible by connecting the phone line to it. This cs post also ads more to this https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/NBN-FTTB-username-and-password-for-BYO-Modems/...

Stormtigers2017

Tried that insist we have to connect gateway modem
Stormtigers2017

Thanks Sparky.

I have to comment at the level of incompetence and stupidity being exhibited.

1. A vast percentage of Australian homes have 610 connections, why is the nbn modem being sent without a compatible plug option ?

2. Telling someone they have to have their copper phone point rewired because its a 610 old type is just downright incorrect and false.

3. Having to connect an inferior modem router such as the Gateway just to establish a connection is ludicrous, but will do it if that's what it takes. But again if you research this topic there are countless posts in crowd support where people with high end modem routers have just automatically flicked over without them ever unpacking the Gateway.

4. Billing giving advice is dangerous when they have no clue what they are saying is right or wrong

5. This thing better fly or I am outta here.........

Very very disgruntled and tired of the buck passing and lack of knowledge being shown by such a professional organisation

Accepted Solution

1: Im not ware of adaptors being sent out for 610's as the existing cable would be able to be used in most cases.

2: True, the existing connection can be used.

3: Hardware used is personal preference

4: I cant comment on that.

5: It should work.

View solution in original post

Stormtigers2017

The new adsl splitter/pstn doesn't appear to be like the old ones where the splitter box has RJ45 ports both sides. 

IMG-20180509-WA0009.jpg

It splits into two leads at the top for DSL and PSTN and it looks like they are hard wired inside.  I will by-pass the splitter for the moment and risk line noise until I get home and source a 610 with RJ45 port.  Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

They are hard wired. The design works well for most people, but not so much in your case unfortunately.

Stormtigers2017

The annoying thing is I have a handful of those 610/RJ45 convertors at home but damned if I know where. They used to come with every ADSL modem as standard.
Level 19: Deputy Director

There is no escaping a PSTN as it comes as part of all ADSL / VDSL connections.  FWIW I had a lot of line issues when I first got ADSL, and ~ 6 callouts to have it fixed.  During one of these one of the Telstra techs changed the fitting over at no charge and without being asked.  I had been using an adaptor I had bought for a previous residence.  So I think they just thought the technology could do with a free upgrade to bring it out of the 1970's. I don't know of a reason that the old technology wouldn't work as it did for ADSL. VDSL I don't know. 

For security reasons I would "brick" Telstra's and turn it into an expensive modem and use your router bridged to it.  Your router probably has more security features or may be able to be flashed with dd-wrt software.  You need to investigate this for yourself before going ahead. I am not an expert or Telstra employee. But I did this due to neighbours hacking both wifi and bluetooth.  When I had neither of these in use or turned on even they started hacking the router. Unspeakable language~!!

Stormtigers2017

Actually that is what i was planning to do so we could retain a phone link. Sometimes work requires international calls and dont have it on my mobile. We have the standup 4 Ethernet port Gateway ??. Have seen some comments about one Gateway modem not liking bridging mode.
Can anyone confirm that ?
Also appreciate some clear instructions on how to bridge the devices such that Gateway acts as modem and still gives phone connection and.D-Link AC3200 runs the network, wifi etc.
(Will the 4g backup still work if bridged????)
I want to retain 192.168.xxx.x network as we have mix computers & devices in home and due to vagaries of windows and mac os some devices have hard coded drive connections (i.e rather than a //devicename/drive they are //192.168.0.xx/). And Telstra Gateway i read doesn't use or like the traditional ip address range)

If you bridge the Telstra Gateway the VOIP function will not work and the backup function will no longer work.

If you want to use the PSTN and use your own modem router connect the WAN port of Telstra Gateway to LAN port of your DSL modem router and turn off WiFi in Telstra Gateway.

If your D Link uses the 192.168.0.xx address range change the address range in smart modem so that they do not match.

Below is a link to an unofficial manual for the Testra Frontier Gateway which is very similar to the Smart Modem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Frontier-DJN2130-Unofficial-D...

Level 19: Deputy Director

FWIW, I have successfully bridged a TG797nv3 and my latest the Smart Modem - DJA0230. It is then left with the top five boxes on the GUI to configure. Everything below that is disabled. I like most people panicked when I saw the RED ECO and Internet lights on the TG797, but don't, it still works as a modem just fine. The Smart Modem I noticed that the "Online" connection button disappears entirely. Again though it works just fine. This modem has four yellow Gigabyte ports.
The Smart modem has a http://192.168.0.1 configuration and my Belkin router uses 192.168.1.1 and my Desktop has 192.168.1.xxx. However, I think you MAY be able to change the network configuration used in the DLink. I'm not sure, but maybe look at setting up static IP's with the desired configuration for all your devices.
Stormtigers2017

Just an update now I am finally back in OZ.
I found an RJ45/610 connector pug,
Unconnected the old antique phone we have in kitchen
Connected the gateway modem and established link to nbn
Ran speed test maxxed out at 21.3 mbps
Disconnected phone line and plugged it in to AC3200 got a .2 mpbps increase.
I am however supposed to be getting 40mbps as I am on the medium tier.
For techno junkies here is the reported performance figures from the D-Link AC3200
DSL Phy Version: A2pvI042j1.d26b
Mode: VDSL2
Link Power State:

SNR Margin (0.1 dBm): 66 / 64
Attenuation (0.1 dBm): 0 / 251
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 78 / 115
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11844 / 23450
Rate (Kbps): 11844 / 22869
Good bad or indifferent - why not up around 40 ? Any ideas folks ???

Do you know the distance to the Node. The maximum link speed depends on distance to the node. In some cases the distance the cable travels to get to the node is much greater than the line of site distance.

The link below is a site that shows the distance to node an theoretical link speeds. Locate your premises and click on your premises to reveal cable route and expected link speed. The map does unofficial and does not have information for all premises. In some cases it only shows distance to connecting pillar and assumes node is located near pillar.
http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

The speed could also be effected by faulty wiring or devices plugged into spare phone sockets. A faulty filter can also effect speed, best to connect modem directly to phone socket.

Looking at your figures there seems to be something wrong in the down stream direction. Normally if the speed is due to distance from the node and upstream speed is 11 Mbps would expect the downstream speed to be 35 Mbps. Your downstream speed is on 23 Mbps

Stormtigers2017

alas I have JUST been informed of the ridiculous CO-EXISTENCE bull**bleep**.
I=Why oh why does Telstra not clearly tell customer that are in new build areas that there is NO WAY of achieving the theoretical speed on the plans they are selling because of this miracle of nonsense.
That makes me more angry than anything, expectations squashed and you only hear about it after complaining about getting nowhere near the speed you were sold.
I actually think it is selling under false pretences. Sort of like a car salesman taking you out for a test run in a great car with the most comfortable leather, back massaging, heating and cooling seats in it but when yours arrived it has two plastic chairs bolted to the floor.
The whole NBN project is a disgrace, Telstra 24/7 support is woefully inept using foriegners in far away call centres who it seems are responding using prompted decision tree answers, answering questions they have no knowledge about and shouldn't try to answer and frankly that too is a disgrace on what was once a terrific organisation.
Stormtigers2017

That map is very out of date - shows no pillar or node information for my residence
MrSerious

Just a thought, probably not relevant:
Time of day will affect speeds, if the servers/fibres/switches are all heavily loaded.
Re the speed sales pitch; they cover their rear end by providing the override that speeds won’t be confirmed until AFTER the sale (when they’ll offer to put you back on the lower).
To be fair I suppose, with all this marvellous privatising and setting up another separate public body to wire up the NBN, Telstra’s like any other telco, and has no say in the NBN construction or speeds - except to be told to house the NBN gear (wonder what nightmarishly complex admin/funding processes that’s costing us all ... ?

I’m really disgusted that Telstra forces me to use their awful kiddy routers, and won’t give me the SIPs to let me program and use my own decent router. So I’ve got that horrid box sitting on the wall with a tangle of power and patch wires, just because I can’t connect my own small, high power WAP via a single Cat6 PoE cable.
MrSerious

Oh, and as the others have said, the wires and connectors can bring the speed right down.
If your existing phone wiring is the old tar and canvas stuff from the days of steam (or even 4 core untwisted, unshielded, PVC house or underground), it is likely to limit your speed, as it was designed for KHz audio frequencies, rather than GHz VDSL and ADSL frequencies. And the original socket outlet MAY have been rewired if one or more of the cores has been broken in the past ? Any extraneous bits like broken wires still connected could possibly also explain reduced speeds. VDSLs extra high frequencies make it especially fussy about shielding, grounding, crook connections and tiny bits and pieces hanging off or going nowhere.
Older sockets can be quite dirty and corroded, so it’s always worth taking the lid off and giving them a good clean. The brass/tin/nickel contacts develop a tarnish/verdigree which mucks them up. Gold plating is sometimes used as it theoretically doesn’t corrode - still gets dirty, and gold is actually a relatively poor conductor (poorer than aluminium, and copper too from memory).
Hope that might help, worth checking and cleaning anyway.
Stormtigers2017

Okay latest is I negotiated a discount.
Weird they try charging the same as Tier50 when IT THE SPEED BOOST TO ATTAIN THAT CANNOT BE DELIVERED. Surely this is something that should be revisited
Last evening again it has been confirmed that coexistence is the issue. And in fact if you go to the MyRepublic website and shove your address in, it confirmed that it is indeed subject to coexistence and therefore cannot currently do higher speeds at my location. There has been mention of lack of funding etc which obviously is of no consequence to the consumer do I am.not surprised it is not mentioned.
Telstra investigated trying to bump my service to Premium but alas the restrictions would not allow it.
I have no doubt cabling may also be restricting line quality hence maxxed out at 21 however the max I can achieve is 25 anyway so it's pretty good. I will investigate cable upgrade to the home as the existing is messy and old. Hope this helps others and thank you all for advice and patience !!!!

Nbnco actually reduced the wholesale price of the 50mbps plan to the same as the
25mbps in most cases which is why they are the same price for retail as they are the same wholesale. They used to be $20 more for the 50Mbps before the nbnco change but now it is the same.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

And coexistence very rarely affects your speed by more than 10%. I am in an area where coexistence is still in force and my speeds are higher than yours.

They were slower, but I had an internal wiring issue, and once that was resolved, I went from 17Mbps to 28Mbps download speeds. Your internal wiring is the biggest factor in attainable speed after your distance to the node.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more