CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sma888
Level 2: Rookie

Does the Telstra Smart Modem support POE connection?

Answered

I am planning to install IP security cameras at home and the model of security camera that I prefer requires a POE connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Does the Telstra Smart Modem support POE connection?

Hey @sma888, you'd need POE injectors for your camera's the normally come with the camera, or you can purchase a POE network switch and connect it to the Smart Modem. The Ethernet ports on the Smart Modem it self are data only and do not output power (POE)
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Hey @sma888, you'd need POE injectors for your camera's the normally come with the camera, or you can purchase a POE network switch and connect it to the Smart Modem. The Ethernet ports on the Smart Modem it self are data only and do not output power (POE)
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

View solution in original post

sma888

Thanks you for your prompt reply. May I ask a silly question. Since the POE injector or POE switch is connected to the ethernet port of the Telstra smart modem and since the smart modem doesn‘t output power, how and where does the IP camera get it’s power from?

There's never a silly question, POE capable switches connect to modem via Ethernet and also to the power point to obtain there power, which is then sent to the IP camera via POE over the Ethernet cable.

For example, you might get a 8 port switch that is capable of 150 watts, so you could connect up to 7 cameras to it with the last Ethernet port used to connect to the Smart Modem.

Note: Make sure you check the type of POE that camera's need and that if the switch is capable of it, there are several types such as AF and AT, essentially they provide different maximum power levels.

sma888

Thank you very much for your help, I am now one step closer in setting my home security system properly.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now