DC22
Level 1: Cadet

Ethernet cable and NBN

Answered
Have the new Smart modem Gen 2. Can I use my existing blue cables for Ethernet connection or will I need to buy the yellow cables?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Ethernet cable and NBN

You can use your existing cable. The only difference with the Yellow cable is that it is yellow.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

You can use your existing cable. The only difference with the Yellow cable is that it is yellow.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DC22

Thank you. Sorry me to a Telstra technician yesterday who couldn’t answer that question!! 🙏🙏
DC22

Spoke to not Sorry me 🙄
JM6
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Nah, the different ethernet cables mean different rates of data transfer as I understand.
Blue normal. Yellow faster. Red really fast.
Black is Cat 6 I think which is super duper fast....
Not that it matters much with the slow as a snail crappy NBN that has cost Australia $$$ billions........
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The colour of Ethernet cable does not indicate the speed of the cabls. Cat 6 cable comes in a variety of colour

No. The colours have nothing to do with speed. Different colours are available to make it easier for Networking IT types to determine what a cable is in service for.

In my office, we have 3 different companies working together. To identify whose network points are whose, one uses Blue, we use Yellow and the other uses Beige. They are all CAT 6 cables and are identical other than the colour.

In the case of when Telstra and other telcos send out a modem, usually they send a Yellow cable to connect to the external connection and a blue cable to connect to a computer. They are the same tpe of cable, just a different colour.

I have seen CAT 6 cables in the following colours Black, Blue, Green, Grey, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, White and Yellow. It is personal preference, there is no standard colouring.
DC22

Thank you

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now