fudge1979au
Level 1: Cadet

FTTC Two separate phone lines/numbers on one account at single dewling house

Hi

I am trying to find out some information about nbn FTTC connection. I am on the home stretch of a very long 5 month journey with the nbn appointment booked in next Thursday for the nbn connection box.

I have two separate telephone lines with separate telephone number in my house, one is mine and one belongs to my Mother. Now five months ago I was advised to do a change of ownership (chown) to move my Mother's account onto mine which I have done. So my number will be getting the nbn internet, but my Mother's number doesn't require the nbn internet, all that she requires is a working telephone line and telephone. What I need to find out is; do I need to tell the person that is coming out with the nbn connection box does he need to bring a second nbn connection box? I was under impression that because I moved the two lines onto the one account that I do not need to worry about my Mother's phone line, but I have not been able to get a straight answer out of anybody that I speak to at Telstra.

If anybody has any information on this I would be grateful if you could shed some light on this

Thanks in advance

Peter Farrugia

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: FTTC Two separate phone lines/numbers on one account at single dewling house

NBN Co will only provide one service per address, so you will only have one connection box and end up with one phone number as Telstra's modem is only set up to provides one voice service on a consumer grade NBN service. If you want keep the other number  you could port the number to a VOIP voice provider such as My Netfone before transfer to NBN. They will provide you with a VOIP ATA that a normal Telephone plugs into and is connected to a LAN port on the modem.

fudge1979au
Level 1: Cadet

Re: FTTC Two separate phone lines/numbers on one account at single dewling house

Hi 

I just thought that I would post an update, so I got the nbn installed on the 04/07/2019 and it all went according to plan. I told the nbn technician that there was two separate phone lines with two separate phone numbers going into the house and he said that was ok as he was only putting the nbn internet on my line/number and that the other number will work as per normal. He did say once my area was full going over to nbn that we could just move that line to a nbn voice only plan and we would no need to do anything with the phone line.

Thanks

Peter Farrugia  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now