CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Heka7
Level 2: Rookie

FTTN replaced with HFC. Connection queries.

Answered

D49FCA62-4FC2-465E-BE4E-371DA5840C8F.jpegHi all. Can the existing FTTN telephone cable be used to connect the replacement HFC connection box to our existing internal network? Our house was rewired  during extensions 10 years ago and the modem/router is set up at the rear of the house, which is where the existing router splits the LAN cabling to the rest of the house. The WIFI also needs to go there for maximum coverage. By my understanding we would ideally like the HFC connection box and the Telstra modem to be positioned at the rear of the house to use the existing router and cabling.

As the walls of our old house are mostly double brick I am anticipating it may not be easy if the HFC cannot use the existing cabling and needs rewiring. Hope you can assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: FTTN replaced with HFC. Connection queries.

One option is to set up the Telstra Modem in the front room and configure the DLink Viper as an WiFi access point and switch in the back of the house connected to Telstra modem via the LAN cable. The Telstra Modem would provide WiFi to front of house.

Another option is to set up Telstra Modem in the back connected to NBN Modem in the front of the house and use two Ethernet power adapters to to get internet to front room.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 25: The Singularity

That would be very odd for an area that already has FTTN to have it replaced with HFC. Normally it's the other way around, an area has HFC and then when NBN Co arrives they shut the HFC down and install FTTN.

Anyway, you are most likely going to be disappointed as NBN Co are highly unlikely to agree to install the HFC connection point to the rear of your property. Their guidelines are to install it as close as possible to the front as they can.

However, if you get stuck with that situation, assuming that one of your network cables has an outlet at the front of the house, you could plug a LAN port of the modem into that and plug the WAN port of your existing modem into the corresponding port on your patch panel. Then you keep the rest of your LAN sockets plugged in to your existing modem.

There are some other tweaks that you would need to make, but it would be workable.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Heka7

Hello Jupiter and thanks for replying. I should have been clearer with my situation, so here I go:
Our existing phone/internet is via an ADSL on the traditional copper underground telephone cable (not FTTN). THe NBN has in the last few weeks connected our house up with a HFC cable and box at the front of the house and so we need to move over to using that. My query relates to how the HFC connects with our existing cabling in the house, which was set up to provide Ethernet access to all rooms in the house. The Ethernet control centre is at the rear of the house in the living room as shown on the photo.
As I understand it, the HFC external box needs to connect to an internal ‘connection box’ before then connecting to the Telstra supplied modem/wifi. They seem to want this at the front of the house, but we want it at the rear of the house to connect with our current ethernet cabling. It seems to me that if the internal HFC connection box can connect using the existing Telephone cable which runs from the street to the rear of the house then it will be quite simple. If they want to install new cabling, then that is not so easy for our house as most of the walls are double brick, being an older house.

Your work around may work as there is an existing Ethernet cable running from the front room to the rear of the house. The connection box could be located in the front room provided the Telstra modem/wifi can then be located at the rear of the house to provide optimal wifi coverage - it is not much use in the front room.

Sorry for not being more specific in my first post. I hope this is a bit clearer. I am not a techno-wiz and find the existing information on the Telstra website too general for my situation.

@Heka7 wrote:

As I understand it, the HFC external box needs to connect to an internal ‘connection box’ before then connecting to the Telstra supplied modem/wifi. They seem to want this at the front of the house, but we want it at the rear of the house to connect with our current ethernet cabling. It seems to me that if the internal HFC connection box can connect using the existing Telephone cable which runs from the street to the rear of the house then it will be quite simple. If they want to install new cabling, then that is not so easy for our house as most of the walls are double brick, being an older house.

The existing can not be used. The existing cable is twisted pair and the internal connection box is connected using coaxial cable.

Heka7

Hi cf4. To be clear, are you referring just to the connection from the external HFC box to the internal HFC box for the coaxial cable? Can the subsequent connection from the internal HFC connection box to the Telstra modem/wifi be achieved using the existing internal telephone line that connects to the current modem/wifi?

The internal HFC box (technically a modem) connects using coax to the outside box. You can then plug the Ethernet cable from the HFC box to the LAN port in your front room and plug the WAN port of the Telstra modem into the corresponding port on your patch panel.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

The connection from the NBN internal HFC modem to the Telstra modem has to use Ethernet cable.

As mentioned by @Jupiter if you have an existing LAN cable between front room and were your exiting modem is located this can be used to connect the Telstra modem to the NBN HFC modem.

NBN External Connection Box =======NBN Modem========(WAN Port) Telstra Modem

Coax        Front Room   LAN cable          Back room

Heka7

Thanks Jupiter and cf4, I think I can see how it will work now. A final few questions:
1. There is a disused 10 year old coaxial TV aerial cable in the front room - can this be re-used to connect the outside and inside NBN boxes?
2. Using the existing Ethernet cable to attach the inside NBN modem to the Telstra modem at the back of the house will result in no LAN or wifi access in the front room (as this is what the cable currently does). Can a splitter be put in the front room between the NBN and Telstra modems to restore this access? If not perhaps I need to see if a connection can be made through the electrical wiring system or some other work around.

They will need to run new cable, the existing cable won't be suitable.

You could put in a switch (splitter) but the devices connected to it would be "outside" your home network. But they would see the internet connection. It is a bit of a messy setup.

What model is your existing modem? We might be able to work out a better setup without having to resort to rewiring or more new equipment.
Heka7

Hi Jupiter. Understood re the coaxial cable replacement.

My main modem is a Dlink 2900 AL Viper which is in the living room and provides wifi and distributiion of LAN via cabling in the walls to other rooms in the house. Currently the Adsl connection from the street goes into this modem via a 10 year old telephone port and cable.

One of the LAN lines is to the front room which is in effect a spare bedroom/occasional study. I have a D-Link Dir 810 L attached to the Ethernet cable to provide wifi into this room as the wifi from the living room does not reach. This Ethernet connection to the front room will be lost when the cable is re-purposed to provide access from the NBN modem to the Telstra modem.

Hope this is enough info for you- please ask if it needs further clarification.

Accepted Solution

One option is to set up the Telstra Modem in the front room and configure the DLink Viper as an WiFi access point and switch in the back of the house connected to Telstra modem via the LAN cable. The Telstra Modem would provide WiFi to front of house.

Another option is to set up Telstra Modem in the back connected to NBN Modem in the front of the house and use two Ethernet power adapters to to get internet to front room.

Heka7

Thanks cf4. I can see how that would work- didn’t cross my mind. So I have two options- setting up the Viper as an access point or if that fails using Ethernet power adapters as you have explained. That should do the trick. Thanks again for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now