CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
fourkings
Level 1: Cadet

Fast internet after restarting router

Answered

Hey guys I have this problem when my internet is fine for 1 hour then all of a sudden it goes very slow. A power poff and on to the router returns it to normal speeds. 

I have tried changing my wifi password and resetting factory settings. I am going to try a virus scan now. It also affects my wireless. Its wierd because i just went on holiday and when i came back this happened.

Router: Netgear CG3100

Can someone help me? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Fast internet after restarting router

The only real way to tell is if you know another customer with a BigPond Cable service who is willing to connect it to your service for testing.

Alternatively, contact Tech Support so that a technician can be organised and they will check the network between the tap on the street to the socket in your premises, and may be able to replace the modem then and there for you if your modem is within the warranty period.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fourkings,

Is it possible that the modem is running too hot? Can you try making sure the modem is in a well ventilated area to see if this helps?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

fourkings

Hey shelly, yes it is in a well ventilated area. I think my router may be damaged because there was a heatwave during my holiday and my house got extremely hot. Are there anyways to confirm this or is it simply a connection error of some sought?

Thanks

Level 23: Superhero

Mate sounds like you are getting what I would call  "cache build-up" on your computer router. It's a section of the router's memory dedicated to storing instructions.

As with a regular computer, if an error gets accidentally stored in this cache it could cause your router to malfunction and drop your Internet connection altogether and indeed slow down access.

While I know you said you did a regulkar factory re-set, try this method of clearing out the cache on the router. Don't turn it off first.  Locate the  "Reset" button on your Modem/router that was designed explicitly for this very purpose.

Typically this button is located on the back or bottom of the router, is red in color and is too small to press with a human finger.

Take the tip of a pencil, pen or paper clip (or any other small object) and press and hold the "Reset" button

Wait until ALL the lights on the front of the router turn off. Release the "Reset" button. The cache memory of the router has been cleared and the router will now turn back on.

Give it a go this way and see how it goes.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
fourkings

Hey DEANJA on the cg3100 is the rest factory settings basically the reset button? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

fourkings,

You can also find it within the modem interface [http://192.168.0.1] under Set Password.

Level 23: Superhero

@fourkings wrote:

Hey DEANJA on the cg3100 is the rest factory settings basically the reset button? 

Yes, and the following is from the Netgear manual for this Modem/router

Reboot. When pressed and released quickly, the CG3100 will reboot (restart).

• Reset to Factory Defaults. This button can also be used to clear ALL data and restore ALL settings to the factory default values.

To clear all data and restore the factory default values:

• Power off the WG102 and power it back on.
  • Use something with a small point, such as a pen, to press the Reset button in and hold it in for at least 5 seconds.
  • Release the Reset button.

The factory default configuration has now been restored, and the CG3100 is ready for use.

CG3100.jpg

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
fourkings

I just resetted my router an hour agovia the method above , the problem still persists Smiley Sad Is my router faulty or is it to do with my line??

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

The only real way to tell is if you know another customer with a BigPond Cable service who is willing to connect it to your service for testing.

Alternatively, contact Tech Support so that a technician can be organised and they will check the network between the tap on the street to the socket in your premises, and may be able to replace the modem then and there for you if your modem is within the warranty period.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now