CrowdSupport®
Verified
Level 2: Rookie

Frequent dropouts

*Images of problem linked below text and modem model

Frequently for the past 2 to 3 weeks I have had many issues with connectivity and speed of ADSL 2+ internet over Wifi on all devices. The modem frequently disconnects, reboots and reconnects me to the internet for about a minute then disconnects again. The cycle repeats over and over and sometimes remedies itself for a few hours before beginning again (80+ disconnect errors alone today so far).

Now bear with me, I have limited knowledge on networking or wifi...

I have grabbed a look my gateway access error/warning log (no idea what it's actually called) and consistently before a 'Connection to the Internet has been terminated...' warning and 'WAN DHCP client (1) stopped' warning there is usually a 'PPPoE error:timeout' and a (most commonly) 'DNS name resolution failure (epicunitscan.info)' error.

I did some research and it turns out epicunitscan.info is actually PUP or malware but after a malwarebytes and ADW cleaner scan nothing came through and I kept getting dropouts. It should also be noted that there was s string of DNS name resolution failures which for the most part were made up of random combinations of letters (enydyzmiihh or qtgxplev to name 2, you can see more in linked images)

We have had 2 technicians come out and apparently our direct line is in perfect working order so no visible physical issues, and have had our modem replaced (this was before I began to try fixing it myself). 

Any possible solutions or resolutions are welcome; I understand most software or hardware 'talk' regarding PCs but my knowledge regarding ameture and advanced networking and wifi is pretty limited but ask for more specifics and I will probably be able to provide.

Thanks Smiley Tongue

Modem -Sagemcon F@st 5355

*link- https://imgur.com/a/5kPWu

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Frequent dropouts

Even though your link has been cleared of any physical faults it could still have an intermittent fault which unless present when line was tested is hard to detect.

Could you please provide a screen shot of the DSL line stats.

Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > Stats > WAN1 xDSL

Malware should not cause modem to reboot but could account for DNS errors but not the WAN failure.

Verified

dsl line stats.PNGThanks for the reply and clarification. Smiley Very Happy

I would not expect to see so many errors in a 8 minute period.  So I suspect there is a problem with the link.

Below is a image of a normal FTTN connection. I would expect an ADSL connection to be the same.

Capture14.JPG

Verified

Damn. Quite the difference lol. I'm assuming I'd just have to call another tech out or would I have to get/do something or someone else?

There is definitely something wrong with the DSL link. You have tried two modems so its not the modem. If you have more than one phone socket try another phone socket disconnect all phones from other sockets and connect modem directly to phone socket without using filter and see if errors are still occurring. Don't worry about FEC errors these are normal.
If still getting errors then probably a cable fault or faulty termination in exchange. You will have to get another Tech out..
Even if there was virus on one of your devices it would not cause the gateway to reboot.
Verified

Yep. Still getting dropouts. Well thanks for the help! Guess its time to call another guy out lmao...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more