woobs
Level 2: Rookie

Gateway Frontier Mint 17.2 Firmware and DHCP

My gateway frontier updated overnight to firmware Mint 17.2 (17.2.0219-820-RA), and ever since then my Ethernet computers that use DHCP to obtain an IP address take over a minute to acquire an IP address upon switch on or reboot.

Rebooting, power cycling and factory reseting the modem has made no difference, and I can get around the problem by assigning static IP's, but I shouldn't really have to do this.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I tried reporting this to tech support, but I think I only managed to confuse the poor call centre lady.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
40 REPLIES
woobs

Re: Gateway Frontier Mint 17.2 Firmware and DHCP

Anyone?

Level 18: Intelligence Chief

17.2 (17.2.0219-820-RA)

That's a big jump from my current version of 16.3.7413-660-RF

I hope its not an issue with that release?

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Highlighted
fragger
Level 1: Cadet

Hi woobs,

I'm on 17.2.0183-820-RA and I have an issue where some of my wired devices, especially a linux desktop lose their DHCP randomly and I either have to reboot the desktop or restart the interface nic.

I'm working through various issues at present, slow NBN, slow response Telstra Home, wifi drop-outs (or even no wifi connection to android devices randomly). I have the DHCP on my list.
The only thing going for the Frontier at the moment for me is the 4G back-up service, although I'm starting to question if it's worth the $9 premium per month now.

fragger wrote:

Hi woobs,

I'm on 17.2.0183-820-RA and I have an issue where some of my wired devices, especially a linux desktop lose their DHCP randomly and I either have to reboot the desktop or restart the interface nic.

I'm working through various issues at present, slow NBN, slow response Telstra Home, wifi drop-outs (or even no wifi connection to android devices randomly). 

I hope the powers-to-be are reading this and referring it to the right channels. We don't want to see a mass release to go out to all with these bugs :-(

And I'm not sure just ringing the oversea's tech support it will be referred on either?

Wayne666

Hi

Since the release of the new firmware, I have Two (2) of these modems that can not connect to the backup mobile data service. A Tech coming tomorrow may be he can sort it out.

On another note had the first 88 days trouble free when I switched to NBN, sine late December, I was getting drop outs about every 2 days, well in it self a pain, the worst part was when it came back up the speed reduced, until I rebooted the modem.

Any one else have these issues????

Thank you
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi all, 

This issue has been reported and we are working on an update to fix this.  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Kenobi wrote:

Hi all, 

This issue has been reported and we are working on an update to fix this.  

Hey @Kenobi, is there a 'what's new' for the firmware releases online somewhere?

I noticed last night that the PC I run Plex on lost it's DHCP but I wasn't sure if it was a result of it going into sleep mode so I was going to keep an eye on it. The only thing is it has never done that before until this current modem firmware.

Barong

My Frontier update about a week ago and I've also noticed this behavior.
LAN connection on my PC now takes around a minute to connect after startup/reboot.
Technical Support
Technical Support

@Ozmoz - sorry, no there is aren't any 'what's new' for the firmware releases.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Wayne666

Hi Kenobi

Thank you for your reply, can you please supply some detail. The Telstra Tech came yesterday, left another modem, how I have 3 the first two as per my previous message. The "New" one has the back up light lit, but in the modem settings it says

Enabled
Searching Network

The 4g network woks fine on our other devices.

The would also appear to be some lack of understanding how the "Frontier modems" work. One group insisting that the modem and sim have to be provisioned to my account and the other group insisting that it is plug and play.

So how I have 3 modems each do not roll over to the mobile data network when the NBN connection is lost.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Thank you
SMacmillan

Hi Kenobi,

Is there any update on the DHCP fix?

Regards,

Stephen

Level 21: Augmented

Frontier should either be already getting 17.2.0219-820-RB, or it should start anytime now.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
I have been given Samsung Galaxy S9+ by Telstra free of charge to review. The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
SMacmillan

Hi ForensicsGuru,

Thanks for the update. My firmware is showing

Firmware Version
17.2.0219-820-RA
So I assume that I have not received the fix yet?

Regards,
Stephen

SMacmillan wrote:

Hi ForensicsGuru,

Thanks for the update. My firmware is showing

Firmware Version
17.2.0219-820-RA
So I assume that I have not received the fix yet?

Regards,
Stephen

Factory resetting the modem would push a request to the update server. Otherwise it will come through at some stage. 

It took about 2 weeks for the RA version to appear on my modem when released, so I assume it will be around the same time again.

My brand new Frontier got RA within 24 hours recently, so I am not sure if the RB is being pushed to Frontier yet. I have confirmation that it is being pushed to Max 2, but cannot say the same about Frontier... I also have confirmation that similar update will be pushed to at least three older models (including TG799vac) soon...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

I have been given Samsung Galaxy S9+ by Telstra free of charge to review. The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

ForensicsGuru wrote:
My brand new Frontier got RA within 24 hours recently, so I am not sure if the RB is being pushed to Frontier yet.

You would have a more of an understanding of the way updates are sent out than me. I think your right though, I've seen Telstra push out updates to a very limited number to see if there is any major hiccups before going more widespread... makes sense too.

freeagent09
Level 4: Private Eye

Hey has anyone noticed that the 4G backup now says disconnected instead of connected!
Also the WPS button when pushed starts to flash red very quickly! Looks like the latest firmware almost stuffed up everything. Here’s hoping Telstra will fix this soon! Any ideas on when the next RB software will rolled out?

Probably nothing to do with RA release... My RA shows this right now and has been since I got my Frontier about two weeks ago...

Capture.JPG

freeagent09

So if my backup was working before the update, and now says disconnected. What should I do? Coz Telstra tech support won’t help! Or can’t help
Level 23: Superhero

My 4G backup has always shown Disconnected. It only shows connected when main link is down and working on backup. Have you tried disconnecting link and seeing if backup still works? As long as Network Status shows as Registered and Service Status shows as normal service its working OK

frontier_Backup_Diagnostic.JPG

The fact that the WPS button flashes red is a bit of a worry?

freeagent09

Yes, I have coax cable to make it look like an outage! But no luck. No txt or email saying that it’s kicked in.
Strange thing that it’s a new router!
And before I called Telstra to activate it, it was showing me as connected! But after service was active its shows disconnected! Very weird!

Did you still have internet when coax was disconnected. I have tried simulating a fault a couple of times the Internet still worked via the backup but I never received an email or txt. The gateway was only working on backup for a few minutes so there might be a time threshold before an email or txt is sent.

The backup was showing as connected before service was activated because gateway was working in backup mode. Did you notice the On Line light being mauve instead of green when service was not activated.
freeagent09

I have spoken to Telstra tech support, they advised me that the sim isn’t active on my account! Which could be the reason it’s not working!
Only time will tell. He told me wait 24hrs for the back of house team to call or send a txt. To fix this issue. Here’s hoping!

I did do a factory reset to see if it would push an update from the servers but it didn't :-(
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

@Ozmoz
@ForensicsGuru
@SMacmillan

17.2.0219-820-RB has not been pushed out yet. I don't expect it to be all that far away though

Chris

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Tonkatrucks

YES! Me too! I noticed the firmware update just today (17.2.0219-820-RA) and I've had exactly the same DHCP issues. I'm currently on my third Gateway Frontier as the previous two had serious issues with WiFi mostly with the 5GHz band... and yes trying to explain tech issues to customer service is a mission in itself. >_<
Hope there's a firmware fix for this soon.

There is a firmware update to fix this problem it is 17.2.0219-820-RB. My Gateway was updated yesterday.  Leave Gateway on overnight to make sure you receive the update.

@cf4wrote:

There is a firmware update to fix this problem it is 17.2.0219-820-RB. My Gateway was updated yesterday.  Leave Gateway on overnight to make sure you receive the update.

@cf4 It does look like its fixed that issue too... So thanks Telstra for the update :-)

freeagent09

Hey all, how do I go about getting the RB firmware update? I left my modem on all night! Is there a quicker way to receive it?

@freeagent09

The firmware updates are automatic and not rolled out to every modem at once. It has been ramped up to approx 10,000 a day and about half of all frontier's have been done so far
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

@freeagent09wrote:
Hey all, how do I go about getting the RB firmware update? I left my modem on all night! Is there a quicker way to receive it?

You could try doing a factory reset, that general pushes a request to the update servers. If it works, let us know :-)

freeagent09

Hey, I did a factory reset! Didn’t do anything but lose all my settings!
Won’t be doing that again!
Hopefully this update will come soon.

@freeagent09wrote:
Hey, I did a factory reset! Didn’t do anything but lose all my settings!
Won’t be doing that again!
Hopefully this update will come soon.

Sorry, my bad. I thought what a 'factory reset' meant was common knowledge. I'm surprised you've never had to do that on anything before, even a mobile.

No much setting to loose really. I think the only thing I change is the WiFi name/password. Turn 'band steering off' and Mobile to external antenna.

freeagent09

Hey, I always factory reset my devices.
But most of time they don’t do anything for me! I’ll just have to wait for the updates to push by themselves. Cheers for ur help anyways

I am not sure how Telstra pushes updates out, but I am bit sceptical about these "factory reset" hints... I've received my Frontier just few weeks ago and it came with 16.x... I plugged it in and next day it was on 17.x RA. Last week it updated to 17.x RB... Never did any resets or anything! But maybe I am just lucky customer - I moved from ADSL 2+ (5/2) to NBN FTTN (nearly 25/5) and I had one drop out in 15 months. And that one was caused by my neighbour cutting five metres of the street copper out while doing his new driveway... The cable was so badly damaged that they had to put pillar on each side of his driveway to join the cable back together!!! Imagine how much damage that did to the quality of the connection... Wouldn't you kill him?

freeagent09

Hey, yeah I would kill them! Lol
Yeah I got the frontier 3 weeks back, via Cable hfc connection!
So not sure about the update for myself. Hopefully it comes soon.

If a firmware rollout has been completely deployed, a factory reset may help but in my opinion its more of a placebo then anything.

During a deployment your modem should get it when it's number is up. Factory resetting wont speed up this process

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

@Yastiandrie

It depends on the gateway. I can only go by my own experience,

My F@st 5355 was still using old Firmware a month after every one else had been updated. When I reset to factory defaults it updated with in hours. Fortunately on these gateways there is a backup function so I did not have to spend several hours re configuring the gateway

My experience with the Telstra Gateway Frontier was different. It got the firmware update a week after the firmware update was released.without requiring a reset.

freeagent09

Hey, I just received the update today! Happy days.

@cf4wrote:

@Yastiandrie

It depends on the gateway. I can only go by my own experience,

My F@st 5355 was still using old Firmware a month after every one else had been updated. When I reset to factory defaults it updated with in hours. 

Yes, I saw a Telstra rep on here say a month ago that a factory reset would send a request to the update servers for that modem. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the same thing with the Frontiers for some reason.

I did post a message on here a couple of weeks ago that I tried a factory reset and it didn't do anything. I thought at the time maybe that might have been because it wasn't fully rolled out yet. 

Was still worth someone giving it a go.

Maybe someone at Telstra tech support can look into that?

I do have a spare brand new Frontier that I can test it out on if/when they get it to push out update to that modem on a factory reset.