Paulynnie
Level 2: Rookie

Gateway Frontier Wi-Fi issues

Answered

I have a Gateway Frontier which doesn't allow devices in the home to connect to the internet. When the online light is green then all other devices such as smart phones, Apple TV, tablets, laptops etc all show a good connection to the gateway but that's it. None of the devices are then able to access the internet. Also, my printer shows it's connected to the gateway but nothing will print. When the online light is magenta, indicating that the internet is via the 4G network, all of the devices, including the printer, all work perfectly. When the online light goes back to green then all the devices lose their internet connection again. When I connect devices as a guest, they work just fine, except for the printer. 

I've spent many hours checking all the information entered into the devices and the gateway but the fact that things are fine when operating via 4G and when devices are connected as a guest indicates that all information is correct. I found an old D-Link ADSL modem in a drawer so I disconnected the gateway and setup the old modem and found that all devices worked perfectly. I reconnected everything back to the gateway and everything lost their internet connection. I've restarted the gateway several times and also reset it several times but that does nothing. On top of everything else, there is a problem when restarting the gateway. After my most recent restart it took 5 hours for the gateway to turn on. There was once when it took the best part of 2 days. Also, when I press the reset button, nothing happens. I'm at my wits end. I'm hoping someone might know the solution, otherwise I'll have to get in touch with Telstra about it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Gateway Frontier Wi-Fi issues

TBH it sounds like a faulty Frontier
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
7 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

TBH it sounds like a faulty Frontier
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Paulynnie

Thanks very much Yastiandrie, I was thinking that may be the case but I was hoping I was wrong.

Highlighted
asad121
Level 1: Cadet

sorry mate. its not a faulty modem. i have same issue. i called chromecast team and they said the firmware on gateway frontier preventing chromecast working because telstra launch its media streaming device ( telstra tv) and they blocked other streaming device like apple tv, google chromecast . The settings in modem need to be change which only telstra can do over remotely and i asked them to do so and they are diverting me to their paid service - telstra platinum . very annoyed 

Dodn't believe everything your told. If Telstra was to block other streaming devices they would be facing a lawsuit for anti competitive behavior. I have an Chromecast device and also other streaming devices and all work with my Telstra Gateway.
asad121
Level 1: Cadet

I am talking about new Telstra frontier modem. What is your modem model number? Just want to see if mine is similar. And did you change any settings in your modem ? Please share and you will help thousands who are in trouble with their Chromecast
Paulynnie

It turns out that it was a faulty Frontier Gateway. I had a new one sent to me and it works like a charm.

mungobeach

I'm wondering if it was a faulty modem or it was simply a modem blocking Chromecast because I'm having the same problem.  This is simply an effort to get the Freeview FV app working on my TV to stream free-to-air because of our intermittant TV reception in this area.

If Telstra and Freeview would get together to put the FV app on the Telstra TV box I wouldn't have to bother with Chromecast.