CrowdSupport®
rja13
Level 2: Rookie

Gateway Pro Modem blocking access to work VPN

Answered

Just had NBN connected at our home office with a Telstra Gateway Pro (v7610) modem. We can no longer connect to our work VPN. It worked flawlessly when we were on ADSL2 with both an older modem and a V7610.

I have found numerous posts about his but no solution that I can find. There must be a simple setup change in the V7610 that will allow us to connect to our work VPN.

Does someone have any easy answer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rja13
Accepted Solution

Re: Gateway Pro Modem blocking access to work VPN

OK have a solution. Paid the $$s to get Platinum support - eventually found the solution was to downgrade the firmware on the modem to a very early version. Apparently the newer firmware versions do not allow access to VPN networks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

You could try factory resetting the modem
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

rja13
Accepted Solution

OK have a solution. Paid the $$s to get Platinum support - eventually found the solution was to downgrade the firmware on the modem to a very early version. Apparently the newer firmware versions do not allow access to VPN networks.
ProjectX
Level 1: Cadet

@rja13what firmware version did you down grade to?

rja13

V2.2.2.6A

Martin_at_work

Hello,

I believe that we were having same or similiar problem that has now been fixed.

Problem we were having was that VPN and other inbound connections would stop working. Whilst the VPN and other connections were not working we were able to surf the net plus send and receive emails. (How do you tell Telstra there is an internet problem when you can surf the net?)

I called Telstra support and got the right solution. The solution was to turn off IPv6.

Log into the Modem, go to Advanced->Advanced Settings, IPv6, you should find that the setting is Auto WAN, change this to IPv6 Disabled and apply the change, you may need to reboot the modem.

Once it is up, hopefully all your problems are sorted.

Apparently Telstra is now supporting IPv6 on NBN, the modem when it starts, starts in IPv4, after a while will change over to IPv6 and then your problems begin. VPN and port forwards I believe only use IPv4. (Certainly the ones we use are anyhow.)

Hopefully a simple fix to a PITA problem.

Regards,

rja13

Had no issues since downgrading the firmware as described before. But did check and the IPv6 setting is indeed AutoWAN. I'm not going to change it though - don't want to change something that appears to be working!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now