CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Elky7
Level 1: Cadet

Gateway Pro (Netgear V7610) Login Password

Answered

Hi,

I have just reset my Gateway login password and am no longer able to login, is there a way to reset the password?

I have theusername along with the old and new password written down, entered the new password twice to reset it, logged out and now cannot log back into the gateway.

The gateway is a Netgear V7610

I need to setup some port forwarding so need to log back into the gateway.

Please can someone help.

Elky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Gateway Pro (Netgear V7610) Login Password

The actual login for the modem? If you have adjusted it from it's default (user:admin, password: password) and are now unable.to login the only.thing you can do is to factory reset the modem

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

The actual login for the modem? If you have adjusted it from it's default (user:admin, password: password) and are now unable.to login the only.thing you can do is to factory reset the modem

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

View solution in original post

greenvomit8

I have the same situation after changing the default admin password on a Netgear Telstra Gateway Pro V7610 router that I just setup. Can no longer log in via the LAN.

Luckily, prior to changing the LAN admin password, I enabled remote (WAN) management and can still log in via the remote (WAN) interface.

I've tried resetting the LAN admin account twice whilst logged in with the remote admin account but the router will not accept the LAN admin password. Restarting the router had no effect as well.

My gut feeling is that there is a problem with the proprietary Telstra router firmware.

The current firmware version of this router is v2.2.1.9

I'm curious to know if anyone has had success logging into this particular router after changing the admin password?

Has anyone in telstra tested this or do they expect us to not change the admin password which IMHO is not a very secure solution?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@greenvomit8 - You will need to return the modem to factory default and try reconfiguring the admin password again.  I believe that the admin password would not be able to be changed via remote access. 

Did you do a backup of the settings?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

huskoscar

Exact same issue here. I changed the default router password, could no longer access it with neither old nor new password. With no other choice, I've since then reset it all to factory setting, which means i've lost all of the previous config such as DHCP reserve / port forwarding rules etc. I tried to reset the password for the second time, exactly the same thing happened! There is basically no way for us to reset default password on the netgear V7610. So before telling us to reset it all to factory settings, perhaps the technical support team should test this out and replicate the issue in lab enviornment then come back with a better solution. As it stands, I still have no access to the gateway!

OneRingRulesIT
Level 2: Rookie

Have had exact same issues. Telstra support are completely hopeless. They have no understanding of the  huge amount of work that resetting a  modem used in a  small business with many firewall rules set up causes. 

There is definitely a problem that has started fairly recently on this device. No admin would keep the default password so it is quite normal to change the password.

Ours has been logged into every other day for months without an issue now we cannot access the device. Telstra support say the only way you can get access is to reset the device. That might be okay in a household but these things are being rolled out to business.

The Telstra Netgear v7610 is a very mediocre product and does not do Netgear justice. I have discussed a number of deficiencies in the firmware with Netgear and they say Telstra have specified all features so it cannot be fixed by Netgear.

Telstra also advised today that there is a new firmware roll out being progressively deployed across Australian NBN sites. This won't fix the lockout but might fix a range of other issues such as ports being opened and added to the master port table etc.

If you don't use DOT telephony I would recommend you use other Netgear Nighthawk X4s or FritzBox devices and dump this second rate device..

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All, 

I have raised this issue with our device team.  It seems that this issue is related to special characters and how they are used, the positioning of the special character in the password.

What we’ve found:

• Using the alphanumeric characters works i.e. telstra or hello12345
  • Using the special character at the end of a password works i.e. telstra! or telstra%^

BUT

• Using all special characters doesn’t work and locks the user out i.e. ~!@#$%^&*()_+ or !@#$%^&*()
  • Using special characters at the front of the password doesn’t work and locks the user out i.e. !telstra or !&hello

Please make sure that there are no special characters at the beginning when setting a personalised admin password for the v7610 while continue to investigate this issue.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

NoizeBoy

I have just run into this problem and boy, do I wish I'd searched here first. I have just changed the default password for a client. The password now consists of 14 characters: A capital letter to start, 7 more lowercase letters, a special character, 4 numbers and a final special character. This has now locked me out.

Awesome!

Please pass this onto the device team as it differs from their findings so far.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, I will definitely pass this information along to them.

- Shelly

kevbod
Level 3: Gumshoe

the default for the V7610 is actually u/n: admin p/w: telstra

Yes I am a Telstra employee but any opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the Telstra brand name.
TurboTim

Thank you Kevbod.

I too changed the password and was locked out. Used 'inspect' and saw it was all ok, but the password had reset to the default you supplied, had no hope before you showed that default.

I reckon 4-5 days EVERY week since Telstra attended and supplied this modem to our workplace I have to climb up to the IT rack to power cycle this piece of junk.

Wireless becomes unusable for no reason every day or two. Business has lost tens of hours due to this.

So anyway, kudos to kevbod again, saved the day for me.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now