CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Wooza
Level 1: Cadet

Gateway (TG799) and STRict NAT setting XBox one

My son has an XBox one and we recently had NBN connected with a Telstra Gateway Max (TG799).  He sudenly has NAT settings in STRICT mode (overnight) and no matter what I do I cannot change it. I am starting to suspect after hours of research that it has something to do with the IVP settings on the gateway.  There is a primary DSN address showing on the XBox that is a IvP6 address however the gateway dies not have the IvP6 settings enabled.  I have trieed setting static IP address on the XBox but it keeps reading the IvP6 address and won't let me save the changes.

PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP???

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Gateway (TG799) and STRict NAT setting XBox one

Hi Wooza, 

Our Tech Support teams are not able to assist with this type of enquiry, however have you been able to find any details via Google search that may help?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

obidilkenobi

Hi Wooza,

I have the exact same issue.

I recontracted with telstra on a new broadband ADSL2+ plan with the new telstra max gateway TG799.

Telstra talked up this hardware to me like it was going to cure cancer.

I've had Xbox consoles for many years now with xbox live memberships for gaming and i've never had a Strict NAT type with previous modems provided by Telstra.

I too have tried port forwarding as well as using a static IP. I also DMZ'd the xbox IP address and neither of these have worked so far.

I have also rang Telstra support and none of the IT consultants know anything about this issue. I can't believe they are not training in troubleshooting this kind of thing which is a common issue.

They put me through to their Telstra premium support who again didn't know how to help me but was willing to trouble shoot the same steps i took for a once off cost of $120. I declined.

My conclusion is that there is something either hard wired in the modem that is causing this or that Telstra have to configure something at their end.

I'm still trouble shooting this so if i find a solution i'll let you know.

Cheers

CuriosityKills
Level 2: Rookie

This is a known issue with Xbox One prioritizing IPv6 over IPv4.

Just thought i'd add that as its not a Telstra Specific issue.

However, I have no input on a solution. Smiley Happy

Scratchy63

I'm also have the same problem with my tricolor 799 gateway, Xbox with strict NAT. I'm very interested in a solution as this problem pretty  much make my xbox one and live membership useless.

Chris32
Level 4: Private Eye

hey all i have a tg799 and have been able to open ports and the nat quite quickly there are a few things u need like DNS IP's ect u need to start with ur settings in ur xbox goto network then when in there hit advanced then with basicly every setting u need to set it all manually so from this u will set the IP witch is basicly has to be the same as the modems gateway but the last number so like 10.0.0.8 or what ever u want it to be just keep all the same but pick a number at the last one and then u set the gateway setting witch is 10.0.0.138 for the tg799 then the dns settting all depends on where u are in Aust witch is all here https://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Manage/More-information-about-IP-addresses-and-DNS-settings/ta-p/u... down abit ....... u need to put in both primary and secondary dns ips and allso u will need to enter the subnet mask witch is 255.255.255.0 for all telstra i beleave and from there that should atlest open ur nat or make it modert then u need to open ports the tg799 is abit tricky cause it likes to try and do ur port opening automaticly so heres mine and basic these are all the main ports u need top open for xbox live all so u will see my ip is blacked at the end this is where u need to put the ip u made on ur xbox and for the port opening to work manually it seems u need to untick upnp and nat-pmp witch is on the 2nd image let me know how u go and if i can help anymoremodem(2).jpg

modem 1.jpg

Lukeyson81

Thanks, the above pics did help me with opening the ports etc. (including DMZ)

I get the NAT status to open, but i will be playing a game, and just randomly every 10-15 mins the modem reverts to NAT STRICT breifly and i will drop out of the online game.

Anyone encounter this? if so how do you fix??

Chris32

Could be that the game ur playing has a few other ports u need to open some games are like this xbox but most of them are just the basic ones what game is it an ill have a look if u want
Lukeyson81

Thanks, Forza 6 mainly at the moment.

Tried on the old Xbox 360 on F1 2013 and the same thing happens

Chris32

Hey lukeyson81 can u please try power cycling ur modem for 10+ seconds aka turing it off and allso while u do this hard reset ur xbox one by holding the touch on/off button till it turns off u will not lose any data ect when doing this its more of a cache clear and leave xbox one off for atlest 10 seconds too then turn it aĺl back on
Chris32

Allso lukeson81 double check ur firewall settings on ur modem make sure there on normal or minimal settings this could effect it grately
Lukeyson81

Hi Chris,

Have tried resetting etc and now the NAT only comes up as strict, previously it went to open for a while.

Firewall is on lax

Chris32

Hey lukeyson81 do me a favour post screens of all these pages in ur modem port forward page u will probley need to take 2 to get everthing on that one an allso ur firewall page if u want u can private message me them or email them to me and dont black anything out i will need to know everything is correct and u can all ways change ur ip once ive seen it this well let me help u in full detail
Chris32

And allso dose it say strict in ur xbox network settings or just in the game itself?
Chris32

Allso lukeson81 ive found more ports that Microsoft have added recently and havent told anyone great to there customers aint they lol ports are 16000 and 3075
Huddo28
Level 2: Rookie

I'm having the same problem. We were on ADSL 2 with the TG799  and the NAT was always OPEN. After going to NBN last week the NAT changed to STRICT making multiplayer gaming almost impossible.

I have attempted to change the settings as above, used the port forwarding with all those port numbers - including the latest ones added. It worked once for about 45 minutes but then the NAT reverted back to strict.

I have added the Xbox One to the DMZ which was supposed to be the magic bullet? Still doesn't work.

As a last straw I purchased Port Forward Network Utilities but it can't log onto my router even though I changed the password. Pulling my hair out here.

I have tried talking to Telstra techs online and on the phone but they don't appear to know. The only thing that changed was ADSL 2 to NBN and now it won't work but nobody seems to think it is their problem.

Any ideas?

H

SPhillips

I have followed your steps and ended up with my NAT type set to strict... HELP!!!!!

mwither
Level 3: Gumshoe

Have a look at this discussion:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Technicolor-TG797n-v3-unable-to-keep-an-Open-...

The problem seems to be common to everyone trying to open ports using Telstra's provided gateways. The gateway's firmware needs an update to fix this and I believe Telstra is already investigating. A big problem for online console (Xbox, Playstation and Wii) gamers.

If reading this please post your feedback/complaint here and email Telstra so that they are aware it is a serious and annoying issue which needs to be fixed.

Friendly

Go into gateway. Advanced. Wan settings. Disable upnp and nat pmp. Save. Reset. Xbox one nat should be open. Thats it
Friendly

I have found it connects so much faster as well
Friendly

See my comment below yours. Just did it 5 mins ago. Working well
Friendly

Ignore previous comment. It has reverted back to moderate on my xbox one after 2 days. Reset everything and still won't go back to open.
derpy

So from what i noticed a very long time ago was that the original firmware that was base installed worked fine, i had my xbox one for almost a year with NBN without a problem. when the new firmware came through and changed the whole UI and everything there was no longer a way to completely disable the firewall... instead you now just have lax, i don't know about you but i havn't heard anyone say lax since i was 5.

So i believe the problem is the firewall that cannot be turned off.

"In low mode, the firewall will allow all outbound connections. It will reject unknown incoming connections but acknowledge the presence of the gateway"

The option to be and this is the stupid thing to be" reinstalled in the menu funtions" to disable the firewall i swear would fix this. its a simple thing... if anything i would actually ask to have my router downgraded back to the orgianl firmware that had more options for everything in the way of firewall to simply checking something, just do that for me telstra... i don't want a 3rd person to tell me errrrr its the xbox or you to do some pointless hunk of crap line test AGAIN just remove your broken firmware... simple.

Friendly

Problem solved. This time go to telstra.com.au login. Go to internet deactivate telstra air. Give in 10 mins. NAT OPEN.
derpy

thats what i thought it was aswell and i deactivated it long ago...still get problems. i'm telling you i had the modem for 6 months before it stuffed up, its the "new" firmware and terrible cannot turn off firewall.

ChazC

At last! Turning off Telstra Air opened my NAT after months of trying to solve - thanks for the tip! Overall I pretty much hate this modem but only because it's crippled with the Telstra firmware, if it was original factory spec I'm sure it'd be fine.

Adam22

I have had nightmares with my Xbox live connection and have one more idea. Disable the "NAT-PMP" because I read on a Microsoft forum that XBOX does not use this and a moderator suggested it should be turned off. But leave the "UPnP" on. My Xbox live was dropping out quite frequently but I never had a problem with my "NAT" which was always open. Hope that helps someone!

crazyed66
Level 5: Eagle Eye

We have had exactly the same problem all we did was go to my gateway / advanced / local network and disable ipv6

restarted the modem then restarted the xbox and it all worked well. 

The same applies to networked pcs ... disable ipv6 in the ethernet adapter settings

Hope this helps

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now