CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Gateway frontier alternates between magenta online light and no connection

Hi there,

I’ve been experiencing connection issues for around 2-3 days now. From Friday evening to Sunday afternoon our Gateway frontier has had a magenta online light with no connection light to the phones in our house, and our connection box has been periodically making a clicking/ticking noise. Sounds like an internal switch is being reset. We have NBN FTTC, with a FTTC connection box and a Gateway Frontier.

I’ve tried restarting our Gateway frontier and the NBN connection box, but now the connection box and the gateway frontier will go through a cycle as follows: link light goes green on the frontier, link light on connection box is a solid blue, DSL light on the connection box will blink slowly and then turn a solid blue and then the online light on the gateway frontier will turn magenta. LAN light on the connection box will alternate between blinking rapidly and staying a solid blue before losing DSL and LAN, and then the link light on the Gateway Frontier will turn off too. Online light is still magenta. No regular ticking from the connection box after the restart.

We have been connected to the NBN for around 1.5-2 weeks before this started happening. Before restarting the router and connection box we were running on the backup mobile connection but after restarting we have no internet whatsoever. All of the relevant cables are securely plugged into the connection box and have been checked multiple times.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Gateway frontier alternates between magenta online light and no connection

Have you tried disconnecting Frontier from NCD box and then rebooting NCD?. If NCD's Connection and DSL lights turn blue and remain blue then connect the Frontier to the NCD.

If the connection and DSL lights on the NCD don't turn blue and remain blue then there is a fault with the NCD or NBN link. Check that nothing is plugged into any spare Telephone sockets. If nothing plugged into spare phone sockets ring support on 1800 834 273.

With Frontier unplugged from NCD the frontier should work on the 4G back and there should be access to the internet but no Telephone service.

Highlighted

I just tried that out, but the only solid blue lights on the NCD were the power light and the link light. The DSL light flickered for a few seconds but then stayed off for a few minutes before I reconnected everything. Still no green lights across the board on the frontier.
Highlighted

Update: I seem to be getting backup connection now, so in a way I'm back to square one with figuring out what's going on. Accessing my frontier setup shows me that my connection is in backup mode but I'm connected, whereas before it was telling me that my connection was down. Not sure how to get this fully operational.
Highlighted

Looks like NCD or NBN link is faulty. The DSL light should be a solid blue it might take up to 15 minutes to turn a solid blue. Check that nothing is plugged into any spare phone sockets. If nothing plugged into spare phone sockets then ring support on 1800 834 273.
Highlighted

Ok, I'll do that in the morning. I tried it again and waited 15 min for the NCD to connect after rebooting it, but it still didn't show a full DSL light.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more