Bazza16
Level 3: Gumshoe

Gen 2 Telstra smart modem not connecting to NBN

I was recently provide the Gen 2 modem as i was having wifi issues with the earlier version. When i got the modem, hooked it up. The problem then started. My pc is wired directly to the modem. Cant access any websites from the pc. But any wireless connections can access the websites. Again this is dogdy some times it does and then dose not. When the modem starts up and is in mobile backup mode all my wired and wirelss connections work fine. As soon as it’s connected to NBN everything falls apart. The modem status page clearly shows that nbn is connected but can connect to any websites accept for bing.com and google.com.au. After a couple of interactions with telstra they decided that the new modem they sent is faulty and sent me another one. When i hooked up thie one it has exactly the same issue. I am about to give up unless someone has some idea why this is happening. Probably long winded but if i have missed anything happy to anwer questions

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Gen 2 Telstra smart modem not connecting to NBN

There are two versions of the Gen 2 modem. The Arcadyan modem has problems with connectivity on some devices. There is a firmware update currently being tested. This firmware update could fix your problem.

In the meantime you could try using a static IP and custom DNS on the PC network adapter.

Suggest you use.

IP address 192.168.0.xx xx is number between 2 and 254 which must be different from any of the other connect devices.

Network mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 8.8.8.8

Bazza16

Thanks I will try that see if it works. but why do I have to specify DNS 8.8.8.8?

You don't have to use DNS 8.8.8.8 There is a lost of other DNS you could use at link below.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

Bazza16

I tried it. Does not work . Same issue
Kazzaroonieb
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there
I have had two modems sent to me, a technician attended my property today, tested everything and told me it’s the modem : nothing wrong with connection or line
Currently on hold to Telstra to give them another serve, at this present moment wait time is 59 mins !
Apparently it’s a bad batch of modems sucks to be us☹️

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more