CrowdSupport®
LP45
Level 1: Cadet

Gen 2 modem

My old modem has died and just been replaced by a Gen 2.  According to the Telstra blurb, this modem is supposed to give me a flexible home network with both 2.4 and 5gh.  However, it is evidently not working at all on 2.4 gh.  I am now unable to connect to any of the devices I have used before with no problem.  My printer, and all my assorted smart bulbs and smart plugs no longer connect.  They all return the same message that they need a 2.4gh connection.  A very surly tech help woman told me the only way I can talk to someone about correcting this fault is to purchase a $90.00 Platinum service.  Is it just me, or does it seem unreasonable to have to pay Telstra that sort of money to sort out a fault in their own brand-new modem?  Has anybody else found a way to fix this problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Gen 2 modem

Try turning of band steering this will result in -5G being added to the end of the 5 GHz WiFi band. On devices that support both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz you should now see two separate SSIDs. If you no longer see the normal SSID then there is a fault with the modems 2.4 GHz WiFi band and you should be able to get a replacement modem. If both bands are visible you might be able to connect your devices as some 2.4 GHz device want connect if both WIFi bands share the same SSID.

To turn of band steering open a web browser on a device connected to the modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra). Go to WiFi and remove the tick next to band steering on the 2.4 GHz settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now