CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Handset NBN down

Answered

Ok. I'm intrigued. Our NBN went down during the storms. It's still down but the Smart Modem switched to the mobile network. All good. I checked the telephone (landline handset). It works. This is impossible since the phone line to our home is also down, cut, broken. Taken out by a tree. How does the handset work without the phone line? Telstra states the NBN modem doesn't support the landline. PS: It's a cheap handset and is not using any Voice over IP software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Accepted Solution

Re: Handset NBN down

All is working as it should. The 4G LTE SIM in your modem is activated for Internet Connectivity (Data) and Voice, so your telephone will continue to work when the NBN is down. The Modem has integral VoIP function which works across the  NBN WAN or the 4GLTE WAN.  

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

All is working as it should. The 4G LTE SIM in your modem is activated for Internet Connectivity (Data) and Voice, so your telephone will continue to work when the NBN is down. The Modem has integral VoIP function which works across the  NBN WAN or the 4GLTE WAN.  

View solution in original post

Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case as logging on to the Smart Modem I see under 'telephony'...

VoLTE Service Status
Your phone service is connected and working normally.

The Telstra support tech keeps telling me it's not the case, that the modem does not support landline over mobile and that my phone must be working, so I can't seem to log a repair call with them for the telephone line (FTTN) which is lying on the ground on the road out the front. I'll try again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more