CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Help for Netgear C6300 modem configurations - aka Telstra Gateway Max

Answered

Creating a new board for users needing assistance with configuring the Netgear C6300 as was being discussed in the below thread.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Cable-Gateway-Max-Wifi-authentication-...

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Help for Netgear C6300 modem configurations - aka Telstra Gateway Max

Hi Matt,

I created a KB about the firmware update: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Firmware-update-Cable-Telstra-Gateway-Max-...

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
155 REPLIES 155
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have received an update that the next firmware update for this modem will include bug fixes to address the VPN issue, Wi-Fi connectivity, USB drive support and add a new Time of Day parental control feature. 

At this time I do not have a set time on when this firmware update will be pushed to customer modems.

- Shelly

sengork
Level 2: Rookie

Will the firmware be automatically applied to this device, or does the end user require to manually update it? If it's manual, where is the best way to source the new firmware once it is released and generaly available? Thanks.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The firmware update is always pushed through automatically, so when it is released, there will be no need to update this manually.

- Shelly

Simon123098
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Shelley,

Has this firmware update been pushed through?

In the last few days / week my MacbookPro and Windows 8.1 machine have both been having difficulties maintaining a Wifi connection to the Netgear C6300 after having no problems for the preceding few months.  After 10-15 mins of working, the Wifi doesn't pass any packets through (so it looks like the internet is down, even tho the Wifi is connected).  Recycling the Wifi on the Macbook or changing between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs will bring it back, but it is very frustrating.

The various mobile devices in the house seem ok (but it could just be that when there's a problem they use the 4G network).

Thx

- Simon

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Simon, 

We have not been advised when this firmware will be released.  Your WiFi issue may be caused by interference, we have a guide to the most common WiFi troubles and how you can fix them here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

You may find that changing the channel your WiFi transmits on solves your problem. 

- Ben 

Simon123098

Really?  Interference?  Causing the same behaviour on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks?  Moreover, 5Ghz channels are discrete and shouldn't be subject to interference ... http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=17415

This seems like a software problem - can you confirm whether new firmware has been pushed in the last week or so?  If not, the problem presumably lies elsewhere; although I'm at a loss as to why both my Mac and PC would experience the same issue.

- Simon

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Simon,

The new firmware hasn't been pushed out yet. 

- Ben 

Simon123098

Thx Ben
dreich
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi,

I have a C6300BD-202 cable modem.

The Netgear label on the back says:

C6300BD-1TLAUS

I need to move an existing computer, already configured as a VPN host to inside my network.

In its previous location (Site1) both the VPN computer (MachineA) and a second computer (MachineB) were physically on the same LAN network.

From Site2 we would remote desktop (RDP) into MachineB and then connect to MachineA from the remote session via VPN.

I am moving MachineA from Site1 to Site2.

Site2 is the network on my C6300BD.

People on Site1 will need to be able to VPN into MachineA.

1. Does the C6300BD support this?

2. Do I need a computer inside Site2 configured for RDP?

3. Any other obvious questions I'm missing?

Thanks,

David

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi David, 

The C6300BD, should be able to support this.  However none of this is supported by Telstra's regular tech support channels.

When you move MachineA to Site2 the settings within MachineA will need to be reconfigured to reflect the IP address at the new location.

Most of the settings involved in setting up your RDP or VPN are configured on the PC's (Machines) themselves. So I would recommend that you talk to your IT people about this.  

Some links which may prove helpful:

The Microsoft website has instructions on how to do this you can start here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-rem...

You  may also need to know how to port forward some of the incoming connections, you can find instructions on your modem model here at these 3rd party sites,

Netgearhttp://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046/~/how-do-i-configure-port-forwarding-on-routers-...

Portforward.comhttp://portforward.com/

Also our premium technical support  team Telstra Platinum, should be able to help you with this as well.

- Ben

mjtc

I signed up to Telstra looking for a reliable connection, but turns out my Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD (connected to my devices via WiFi) stops working every 1-3 days. It can always power cycle it to get it back to normal, but it's just disappointing that turns out even with the solid Telstra network, the gateway they provide becomes the ultimate bottleneck. I didn't expect a RRP $200+ Telstra Gateway Max to freeze several times a week. Am I the only one experiencing this or are others getting it too? Are there any compensations/solutions that Telstra is offering to customers stuck with Gateway Max C6300BD?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Mjtc

Have you discussed this with our Technical Support team at all, either by calling 133933 or via Live Chat 

http://tel.st/gq6m

We would need to run some tests to determine that it is actually the modem causing your issues before making a decision about compensation. 

Regards 

Dan8

Hi, just purchased and installed new Telstra cable internet with Netgear C6300BD modem. I was hoping there would be parental controls available for timed internet access for my kids. Is there a way to set up the modem to ensure my kids dont stay online all night?!
Cheers, Dan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dan8,

The only thing that I can suggest at this time is to personalise the Main WiFi and Guest WiFi networks. Have your childrens devices connected to the Guest WiFi network which you can enable and disable by accessing the modems interface on http://192.168.0.1

I would also suggest disabling the SSID broadcast of both of WiFi networks.  This link shows how to navigate to the WiFi configuration page.

I understand that this isn't an ideal 'set and forget' scenario, but the plus side is that it should allow for some flexibility.

- Shelly

Greyfox
Level 8: Inspector

Can you advise why the default setting for the Firewall in the C6300BD-1AUS gateway Max is None?

With that setting, as I understand it, SPI is not enabled.

At what setting (Low, Medium, High) for the firewall does SPI become enabled?

With the firewall set to either Medium or High, it appears that addresses such as:

https://engineering.somecompany.com:8443 are blocked.  Is there a setting that would allow such an address passage whilst maintaining a firewall level that has SPI enabled?

Can you advise what the current version of the Firmware is?

I see statements that an update is expected, but without knowing what the current version is, I don't know if my unit has been updated or not?

Finally, why is there no user manual for this product?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greyfox

We'll ask one of the Tech Team to answer your post when they're in next 

Greyfox

Thank you Steph,

I look forward to their response.

Greyfox

"We'll ask one of the Tech Team to answer your post when they're in next"

Any idea when that might be?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greyfox,

I am waiting for a response from the appropriate team as to the reason behind this. So hopefully today or next Tuesday.

I do know that in the past, other Cable modems have had the firewalls disabled by default. 

- Shelly

Greyfox

Thanks for the response Shelly.

In addition to the example given in my initial post, It appears that the application of even the "Medium" firewall setting prevents even a simple ftp transfer.

For example ftp://speedtest.tele2.net/ will not work with the firewall set to Medium, but will work at the default setting of None.

If the firewall has to be set to None, or even Low (which appears to add only a logging function but no additional firewall protection), then it also seems from the help file that SPI will effectively not be available either leaving some doubt about the security of this device. 

Again I look forward to what light Tech Services can shed on this issue.

will-i-am

Until the firmware is released Telstra really should inform their front line tech guys about this so customers can be informed.

I originally had the CG3100D but because of poor Wifi stability asked to be upgraded to the new C6300BD, at no point was I asked if I used this for work related purposes, they simply shipped it and I had to find out for myself a couple days ago. I've since had to move back to the old modem and put up with constant Wifi issues and rebooting the modem every day.

I spoke to two seperate people via chat who said VPN was out of scope simply because they didn't understand what a VPN was. I was also told by one of them that its a "Netgear problem not Telstra's" and yet Telstra supply this modem to cable customers and stipulate that customers cannot buy their own and you lock the firmware so I can't even upgrade it myself when Netgear release it. I also can't go out and buy a $500 cable modem to replace your modem even if I wanted to.

I had to repeatedly ask to be transferred to a technical support person and it wasn't until on got on to Platinum support that I got a confident answer (although they also were not aware of this bug you report in this thread). They suggest port forwarding for IPSEC VPN ports which I have not tried yet.

I suppose until the firmware is released you could at least provide customers a workaround such as putting the 6300 into bridged mode and using another router.

I pay over $120 a month for Telstra Home Bundle L and so far have been very disappointed!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greyfox,

Can you advise why the default setting for the Firewall in the C6300BD-1AUS gateway Max is None?

The gateway acts as firewall in the default configuration due to the fact that all devices connected to the gateway are on a private network. The firewall is an additional feature that is available for customers to activate if they feel they the need for this additional level of security. It is not forced on all customers by default.

With that setting, as I understand it, SPI is not enabled. At what setting (Low, Medium, High) for the firewall does SPI become enabled?

SPI is enabled when any level of the firewall is enabled, apart from 'None'.

With the firewall set to either Medium or High, it appears that addresses such as:

https://engineering.somecompany.com:8443 are blocked.  Is there a setting that would allow such an address passage whilst maintaining a firewall level that has SPI enabled?

The types of traffic that are blocked with each level of firewall protection are listed in the modems Help menu. Customisation of each level is not available to users.

Can you advise what the current version of the Firmware is?
Software Version: 5510_V10106

I see statements that an update is expected, but without knowing what the current version is, I don't know if my unit has been updated or not?

If you are running the above mentioned version, you are on the latest production firmware available. If you are not on the latest firmware, you device will be updated automatically.

Finally, why is there no user manual for this product?

Netgear have generic manuals for these devices. As Telstra BigPond have the customised firmware, they will not reflect the capabilities of the modem supplied by BigPond. We don’t receive customised manuals with each firmware build from Netgear, but the Help menu within the modems interface is updated. 

- Shelly

Greyfox

Hi Shelly

Thanks for your response.

Original Question:

At what setting (Low, Medium, High) for the firewall does SPI become enabled?"

Your Reply:

SPI is enabled when any level of the firewall is enabled, apart from 'None'.

Perhaps the Help file should be changed to make that clear. At present it states that
"Low: Same as None, record DOS Protection/Port Scan attack to a log if DOS Protection/Port Scan is enabled".

Original Question:
https://engineering.somecompany.com:8443 are blocked.  Is there a setting that would allow such an address passage whilst maintaining a firewall level that has SPI enabled?

Your Reply:
The types of traffic that are blocked with each level of firewall protection are listed in the modems Help menu. Customisation of each level is not available to users.

The help file lists the formats that are passed, not those that are blocked, however the example quoted is a standard https format, and real URL's in that format do work with the firewall set to None or Low.

Both the Medium and High setting claim to pass https, so one can reasonably expect that to be all standard forms of https. That suggests perhaps the present firmware may be deficient in its handling of https.

Is this particular issue being currently investigated?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The Help file within the GUI contains specifics on each firewall level.

Where it describes the different types of traffic allowed with each firewall level, it also advises  “When Firewall Features are enabled, the gateway will perform Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks”.

The information that you have provided has been passed to the appropriate team who will investigate and try to replicate the issue with port 8443.

- Shelly

Greyfox

"The information that you have provided has been passed to the appropriate team who will investigate and try to replicate the issue with port 8443".

Thanks Shelly.

OWmyHeadaches

I have the same modem and same wifi issues. Telstra is having a problem with these accross the board by the looks but as usual for every ISP I have dealt with in the Melbourne area they deny it and blame the customer. I trust they will fix it due time but still the issue remains. Why do they send new customers like myself equipment with known issues? This is a huge toll on human resources. Somebody was trying to save a dime in getting these manufactured but they failed. Now whats it going to cost to straighten it all out? Mistakes like this should come out of CEO bonuses but it wont.

mjtc

Hey @Lindy,

Just to update on this,

I went to Telstra 24x7 chat, and the service member sent a technician to my home.

Last weekend the technician sees that everything's wired up OK, and simply re-wires the street connection to make sure that it's on a prime condition. Also the person advised me to switch from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. (Huh? So much for the dual-band WiFiSmiley Sad). The guy did not replace my C6300BD gateway.

Roughly 4 hours after the technician left, the WiFi connection dropped out again on all devices. I wired my laptop via ethernet to the gateway, and it works, I'm online. Then I disconnected ethernet, and tried connecting via WiFi, but it won't connect. I had to turn off WiFi on the gateway and then turn it back on, then suddenly all my devices are online.

I went back to 24x7 chat. The person was rather unhelpful. Remote-connecting into my laptop, the person browsed around the gateway UI (on 192.168.0.1) and literally browsed through my Start Menu (with no explanation why). I was advised to change the WiFi setting for the 2.4GHz network, from automatically selecting a WiFi channel to manually fixing it on channel 11, then the person abruptly ended the chat with no follow up email etc. Thanks for that.

It changed my settings as advised, and it almost helped - WiFi stayed on for 7 days. And then of course as usual it dies again. Agh.

I'm getting sick of this - anyone else getting unreliable WiFi on the C6300BD? It never held up WiFi for more than a week. Sometimes even 1 day. FYI I used to have a cheapo $30 TP-LINK router with way less features but managed to stay up for two months before crashing, while the Gateway Max is advertised with an RRP of $216 but is actually less reliable. Is Telstra doing nothing for customers affected by this?

Greyfox

"The information that you have provided has been passed to the appropriate team who will investigate and try to replicate the issue with port 8443".

Has the appropriate team made any headway with this at all?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greyfox,

I haven't had any updates on this. 

- Shelly

Greyfox

Thanks Shelly,

Maybe send them a follow up, and if they don't respond to that within 24 hours, escalate the issue.

Two weeks is not an acceptable response time by any support group.

50Calibre
Level 3: Gumshoe

As a suggestion, why don't you bridge the C6300 and purchase a decent WiFi router such as an Archer C7 and your problems will disappear. Waiting for Telstra to do anything is like watching paint dry.

Why Telstra insists on locking (and subsequently stuffing up) the firmware on modems that WE pay for, i repeat, WE pay for is beyond belief. Several cable carriers in the USA don't do it,  they even allow customers to purchase their own cable modems but not Telstra. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greyfox,

In Theory, it is possible to use any port for https if you specify the port in the URL.  However, this doesn't mean that any port will be allowed through the firewall simply because you are using https.

The preconfigured firmware levels in the Netgear C6300 are a basic pre-set security values. If a user wants a more customisable firewall, the best solution may be to source their own more customisable hardware or software firewall solution.

- Shelly

Greyfox

Thanks Shelly,

The ability to specify a particular port address within an http or https URL is I believe within the standard format for those type of URL's, and something that is used in normal practice. I think it is reasonable for a purchaser to expect the inbuilt firewall to accept (or have the ability to be set to accept) formats that are to those standards, without having to turn off the firewall.  I was hoping Telstra could tell me how to achieve that.

I am well aware that one "work around" would be to bridge the C6300 unit and add on a separate router, however having just paid a Telstra shop $216 for the C6300, I'm not of the mind to willingly turn it into a $30 dumb modem, and then have to spend another $200 plus dollars to purchase a router that will accept perfectly standard format URL's.  Maybe if Telstra were prepared to credit $186 of the cost of the C6300, that option would be workable.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Greyfox,

If you are wanting to receive a credit for $186 you will need to submit a complaint via any method listed here: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

- Shelly

LeOzFrog

Hi Shelly,

Just received my new C6300, just wondering if the firmware update ever happened?

It is really frustrating to be told by Platinum support that the function has been disabled because it is not part of what a standard user will do...

Surely I am not the only IT professional in Australia, that needs to use this function...

By the way, this was available on the previous gateway i was using (provided by you guys...)

must have been before some genius decided to temper with what I guess must have been a great firmware...

Hope to hear from Telstra real soon... well before I loose my patience and move to Optus...

Thanks,

David.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi David, I've flagged this post so Shelley can respond in the morning.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LeOzFrog,

There have been delays and at this time the firmware update is expected to start next week and gradually roll out over the next few weeks. Provided that there are not any further delays as they complete the final testing phase.

- Shelly

matt3

Hi there...I am eagerly awating the new firmware so i can start using DLNA on the modem/router. i understand the firmware will be pushed out to all users. Is there any action i needs to take my end, eg reboot the modem? If so how will i know when to?

What is the version number of the new firmware so i can check it has been deployed/installed? 

Matt

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Matt,

I created a KB about the firmware update: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Firmware-update-Cable-Telstra-Gateway-Max-...

- Shelly

steviegw

Hi.

I too have spent countless hours on the phone to telstra technical support (which is a joke), to figure out issues with the C6300.

Since connecting to Bigpond Cable my Apple TV cannot see anything on my Mac, but i can play video using AirPlay.

Telstra could not help with this issue.

Apple also could not help.

I called Netgear support, who cannot support the router as it is configured by Telstra....and so the circular reference continues.

Will the firmware upgrade resolve Apple TV connectivity?

I too, cannot understand how Telstra provide equipment that simply does not work as it should, but then again in the 2 months that I have been with Telstra, I have never been so disapointed with service levels. It seems the only efficient Telstra department is sales, but technical support is useless.

Greyfox

steviegw,

That sound as if it could be more of a straight networking file share issue, than a problem with the Gateway itself.

Perhaps https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202113 might be of help

steviegw

Greyfox, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately that is not the issue.

i have tested the Apple TV using my neighbour's wireless network and it connects to my iTunes library perfectly.

having googled this issue for hours, it appears that i am not the only person with the Telstra configured C6300 whose Apple TV no longer works.

I am 99.9% certain it is to do with how Telstra have configured these routers.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi steviewgw,

Since the roll-out of the new firmware, have you tried doing a factory default of the modem to see if this helps resolve the issue?

- Shelly

steviegw

A factory default?

Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Customers can restore the modem to the default settings by holding in the reset button with a pin for approximately 10 seconds, until all of the lights flash once or via the modem interface http://192.168.0.1

- Shelly

Poorty

Hi Shelly_Telstra,

I had my cable modem installed on Monday the 18th and it is still showing V1.01.06.

I have been on the phone for nearly two hours to telstra platinum team and tech support but they weren't really able to resolve my issue.

Are you able to help my please Shelly?

My USB devices do not work with the current firmware and i'm really keen to get this update ASAP!

speak soon

josh

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Josh,

I've edited your post to remove your email. We don't suggest putting your private details on a public form. 

Can you try doing a full factory default and leaving it on overnight? Sometimes with a full disconnect it can help with the update process. If you still don't have any luck tomorrow, let me know.

Brodie

Poorty

Thanks Brodie,

i'll give it a go tonight and see how it goes.

fingers crossed.

tregards,

Josh

Poorty

Hey Brodie,

I gave it a go - still no new firmware.

Any ideas on what to do now?

Can the firmware be forced down to the unit manually by the cable team?

Or can I get a copy of the firmware so I can install myself?

Regards,

Josh

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now