CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
miknnik
Level 2: Rookie

How do I remove devices from my home wifi network with a 'Thompson 797n V3 modem' ???

Answered

Hi,

Can anyone please help and tell me what I need to do to remove devices from my home wifi network ??? I have a couple of old phones and a few people I wish to remove but can't work out how ??? Its easy enough to add devices but why is it so difficult to remove them ??? My modem/gateway is a 'Thompson 797n V3'..

Regards,

Mick...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I remove devices from my home wifi network with a 'Thompson 797n V3 modem' ???

Hi miknnik,

Are you talking about removing them from the list of devices that have connected in the past or about moving them to a MAC address blacklist, or off a MAC address white list?

On logging into the modem you should be able to find the list of every device that has ever connected. At the top right (I think) is an option to configure this list. You can go through and manually delete the ones you no longer want. If those devices reconnect in the future, they will appear on this list.

MAC address filtering via a black or whitelist takes the serial number of the network card every device has, and on a blacklist stops those numbers connecting. On a whitelist, only those numbers can connect.

I think this thread will help: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Connecting-netgear-modem-to-T-Gateway/m-p/1611...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I remove devices from my home wifi network with a 'Thompson 797n V3 modem' ???

Hi miknnik,

Are you talking about removing them from the list of devices that have connected in the past or about moving them to a MAC address blacklist, or off a MAC address white list?

On logging into the modem you should be able to find the list of every device that has ever connected. At the top right (I think) is an option to configure this list. You can go through and manually delete the ones you no longer want. If those devices reconnect in the future, they will appear on this list.

MAC address filtering via a black or whitelist takes the serial number of the network card every device has, and on a blacklist stops those numbers connecting. On a whitelist, only those numbers can connect.

I think this thread will help: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Connecting-netgear-modem-to-T-Gateway/m-p/1611...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

miknnik
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Dan,

'Thanks' for the quick reply..  'Yes' you are correct in regards to how things use to be but the interface for the modem has change completely ,all I get is a page full of different boxes ??? I can find the list of devices and can select the different devices but the ability to configure each item has been removed ??? I've just updated to 'Windows 10' wether that has something to do with this I'm not sure ?? I've never set up a 'black/white list so that looks like my next step and see how I go ?? I will get back to you with the results !! I hope you have a 'Great Day !!!'..

Regards,

Mick...

mikecrow
Level 1: Cadet

Has anyone figured this out? I've got the same issue. The interface is a bunch of boxes with apparently no way to removed a device that has been allowed to connect in the past.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The device names cannot be changed within the Technicolor modems, however the modem gets the name from the devices themselves. Try personalising the name in the individual devices themselves and then restart the modem. 

The Devices tile will show a list of all of the devices that have connected to the modem in the past and present. clearing this list will not prevent those devices from connecting again. 

mikecrow, can you provide a little more information on what you are wanting to achieve?

- Shelly

EllyC

@Big_Dan wrote:

There is no option to remove the devices at all.  When the Gateway was updated this option seems to have been removed.  Is there a way to do this now, a year later?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EllyC, 

No, there is no longer an option to remove devices from the list of devices that have previously connected.  If you wish to clear the list then the only option is to return the modem to it's factory default settings.

• Reset the T-Gateway to factory default settings. To do this get a paperclip, or something similar, and press and hold it into the reset hole at the back of the T-Gateway, keep in pressed in for 15 seconds. Give it 2-5 minutes to reconnect to the internet. Alternatively you may prefer to do this via the modems interface http://10.0.0.138

Please be aware that if you do this any customisation that you have made to the modem will be lost and need to be redone. (e.g. Changing the WiFi Network name from the default etc.) 

rramanan

What a shame, this is such an important option, where you should be able to dynamically maintain the connected device list. Factory reset option should always be last resort option. Can someone confirm whether this will be enabled in the next updates? Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @rramanan

From what I've been told if something has been removed from the modem firmware, then it more than likely will not be re-added. Having a list of previously connected devices has no performance impact at all on the modem, however if you have some need to clear it as previously mentioned, a factory reset will work.

- Justyn

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now