JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

How do I setup static IPs to local network items on my Technicolor TG797n v3.

It does not seem to be possible?? With other routers I've setup MAC Address Reservation to assign a specific IP to a specific device if it has a specific MAC address, but you cannot do it on this router.

I find this amazing!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Level 21: Augmented

Re: How do I setup static IPs to local network items on my Technicolor TG797n v3.

Hi JDMils,

I'm not 100% as to whether you can or not via the modem interface, however you should be able to assign a public IP address (DMZ) to a device which in some cases should allow you to do the same thing as what you're trying to achieve?
Lathania

Re: How do I setup static IPs to local network items on my Technicolor TG797n v3.

Not what I'm looking for. With most routers, you specify a device's MAC address and tell the router to give it a specific local IP. You then repeat this with all your devices, which are set to DHCP. Thus you do not have to set the IP to static on the device and this works really well with mobile phones & iPads.

I personally don't understand the benefit of doing this, not sure how to do it exactly you'd need to take a look in the modem interface.
Lathania

The benefit is that you don't have to set the static IP on each and every device: you set it once on the router and it works for evrr.

For example, I do media player testing on my network which involves upgrading/downgrading the firmware on particular devices for testing specific scenarios.

I just have to set the MAC reservation once and that device always gets the same IP.
Support Team
Support Team

Hey JDMils,

This is one that would be out of our scope of assistance with setting up on the modem. If this is able to be completed for each device against the MAC address then you should be able to locate this in the user guide for the device. This can be located online if you do not have the one that same with the device.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

@DingoDan wrote:

This is one that would be out of our scope of assistance with setting up on the modem.

This is a typical response from Telstra. The modem/router is supplied by Telstra but not supported by Telstra. BTW, the Technicolor is not a modem, it does not have a modem built in. It's a router with a WAN port.

You can do it with the modem/router but very clunkly and this would be due to Telstra having re-written the original code for the unit to suit their own specs. I've found that you need to set a static IP on the device in question, to the required IP, then on the router highlight the device and set it's DHCP lifetime to Infinite.

Like I said, most, if not all, other routers have this as a standard feature but the Telstra-supplied unit does not.

First of all I'm highly confident that this feature is possible, I just can't remember the exact steps.

Secondly, the TG797nv3 has an inbuilt modulated demodulator and it is capable of working on the copper network for broadband so that makes it a modem, as well as a router because of its WAN / PPPoE capabilities.

Not that the exact jargon matters.
Lathania

Well, Technicolor disagrees:

http://org-web4.technicolor.com/en/who-we-are/press-news-center/press-releases/technicolor-introduce...

They call it a gateway because it has no built-in modem. Plus, it has no phone, cable or fibre ports so you need a 3rd party modem to get access to the ISP.

Telstra supplies the unit as a router, and thus a router it is.

As for MAC address IP reservation, which all other modems have, this one does not. There is no where, that I can find, where you can put in the MAC of a device and tell the router to assign a specific IP.

But thanks anyway for looking!

Once again not that it really matters but in the interest of correct information, Telstra provides this same modem for ADSL as well. All you have to do is look at the modem to see the DSL port. (It's the grey one)
Lathania

Well Ihave the same issue. I need to setup a fixed IP from the router as I use my laptop elsewhere (requiring me to leave DHCP client on) as well as at home. 

And when I leave it at home I need to be able to access it with VNC. This requires it to be a fixed IP address for the port redirection to work. I have looked everywhere for the instructions on how to do this. But so far the utter jibberish from the moderator on this site, (which is uncalled for) is the closest thing I've found to an answer.

And yes I hate the way that Telstra is the ONLY ISP stupid enough to sell a reduced operational product to the market.

I've just about had enough of them to be honest. 

FYI Mr Moderator it doesn't bloody well matter what his/her reason is for wanting to do this. The fact that it is a feature of every other product on the market, should be enough for Telstra to pull there head outta their a$$ and do something about it.

I'm still yet to get a bill that I haven't had to query their extra charges on yet. And we've been with Telstra since May 2013.

If it wasn't for the Foxtel Bundle I'd drop them in a second.

Lissajous
Level 1: Cadet

Yes, it can be done. I just haven't found a simple user interface like every other router provides.

1) Set your device to use DHCP and connect it.

2) Browse to 10.0.0.138 and log in.

3) Click on ADVANCED (top right icon).

4) Click on Local Network and the Devices on the left panel.

5) Find your device in the list and click on it for an overview.

6) Click on Configure at the top right.

7) Under the Addressing heading find a check box to always use this IP.

8) Check the box and click Apply.

The only good part is you don't have to type in the fiddly MAC address. The bad part is you don't get to choose your IP. It's the luck of the draw as to what the DHCP assigned you. Somewhere in the background the gateway is maintaining a table of MAC and IP assignments but they just ain't gonna show that table to mortal users.

I use this to keep my PC static. Of course, I could just set the PC to a static address which is what I do with my networked printers where I'm more fussy about allocating a specific IP for other network users to find.

HTH,

Lissajous

vbmdsau

Thanks Lissajous this was exactly what I was looking for.

ferenczoltan

BINGO!

Took me three days to find this...

Thankx Smiley Happy

ferenczoltan

@Lathania wrote:
"I personally don't understand the benefit of doing this..."

Picture this - I get home and turn on my laptop, finish what I'm doing, put it into Standby, fire up my WDTV Live to watch something, then rmember an email I had to send and re-start the laptop. Next minute I'm getting "Web page not available - error server time-out, Reload" or "...error - no internet. Reload" and after a few painfully long reloads it finally does.

In my case(/s) it was an IP conflict.  The laptop went into standby 'thinking' it had an IP address. Seeing as the laptop was now in Standby and its IP address wasn't being used, the router assigned the 'first available' ie same IP address to the WDTV Live, and when the laptop resumed from standby (with what it thought was its IP address) viola, IP conflict (two devices assigned the same IP address).

As soon as the router was 'told' that each device (MAC address) was to be assigned an IP address, the router rebooted, then the devices rebooted, the problem went away.

This is the benefit of doing this Smiley Happy

AL_RAM

Seems that the instructions is not working for me.  I only see the "Local Network"  and "Devices" separately.  in the devices sub menu, I only see a list of attached devices but no way to configure it.  I faced the dilema as well for the "local network" whereby configuring a mac address for  static lease disables the internet connection.  I am using a Technicolor TG799vac  gateway modem.

Reason for doing this (and thus the benefit) is that i have a home internet security camera set up that is required to have static IP adds for port forwarding.  Need this done so i can view the camera's from the internet.  

Is there a way to set a static ip for a device?  if not, i am thinking of disabling the wifi of this device and use it as a plain modem for my netgear R6300 (running ddwrt).

Thanks in advance!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AL_RAM, if you want a static IP address for your internet access you will need to purchase this feature http://go.bigpond.com/services/connect-roam/static-ip/

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Andrew11361

Thanks Lissajous, your instructions worked perfectly for me. I needed to ensure that all my port forwarding services stayed with my desktop computer, a fixed LAN IP was essential to achieve this. I use Mac OS and have a web server, mail server, and VNC running on the same computer, which connects via WiFi to my TG797n.

Echoshack
Level 2: Rookie

Same issue here just received my T799vac (MAX) technicolour modem/router. It upgraded firmware in the middle of running a speednet test to Ver 15.32.6208-440-RE well that was good, I Thought it had crashed at first would help if it gave some indication as I could have unplugged it and turned it into a brick as it was flashing the memory.

Then I was trying to set static IP after a while I realised that the pop up window had a scroll bar and this uncovered the Static menu. So I set up 2 static address is for 2 of my devices (MAC IP addr and name) all they did was Nothing except I could get to the web interface on the T799 if I used the 10.0.0.138 address. Re-booted and tried all the clicks to remove the DHCP assigned IP of say 10.0.0.116 to the one I wanted 10.0.0.2 but no luck just kept getting x.x.x.116.

Read on another post that one of the earlier model MAX you have to move up the DHCP range from 1-137 so I changed that to 40-137 and tried again using the unassigned 1-39 range --- no luck.

Like others I need static IP's for some devices such as security cameras and voice application that need port forwarding (this did work OK).

Now this device is going to be a "Telstra Air' hot spot. and I do understand it needs to be locked down in some areas so I can't get hacked but as so many have reported they have hacked what is  or should be a very good Modem/Router. I am on ADSL 1 here sloooow ADSL due to conjestion. 

I also want to used the VOIP ports until Telstra can provide me with that sertvice (I am on an old 8mb RIM) I have been  using a Supra VOIP box with an account from Faktortel for last 10 years this still works took a while to get the connection up but no intervention from me. Would haev been nice to use the new box all the same. But Locked down.  Used to have an old Telstra 2 wire modem and that was easy to fix using Firefox to access the hidden config menues.

Well I get a call from my Telstra case manager tomorrow on a congestion issue that can't be resolved yet. As I wanted Telstra Air when away I have been passified with the new modem.

As to the posts on this topic we understand that the help desk has limited experience but they could do with going on a TCP/IP networking course and making a few contacts in the technical team to help them do there job better.

POB81
Level 2: Rookie

Ok i have the solution for everyone.

To set a static IP to devices(local network) on the telstra gateway both wireless and physically wired.

1.Go to the gateway (mine is a Telstra Technicolour TG737n V3)

2.open browser

3.direct to website 10.0.0.138 (this is my routers IP address.

The UI interface should open.

4. Click on advanced in the top right of screen.

5. Click on local network you should get a screen like the below left.

Gateway.jpg

6. Set your settings on the lower right hand side of the screen (RED CIRCLE) to reflect the above (or whatever your situation is) basically by telling the router a new start - end you are telling it what numbers the automatic DHCP can set. Note that my telling it to start at 10.0.0.10 all numbers 10.0.0.1 (greyed out GREEN CIRCLE) through to 10 can now be set as static.

Leave the address of the modem on the network alone (BLUE CIRCLE).

7. Close the web UI interface.

8. Go to your ethernet/wireless settings.

9.Select your adaptor by double clicking and press "properties"

10. Double click your TCP/ IPv4 settings and enter details like box above right with BLUE CIRCLE.  Set same Router IP and subnet as your router and select an IP within the range you set previously. Notice the range is within10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.10 ( I have also entered the DNS address for telstra VIC as it wont gain internet without the field being entered).

11. Click ok and close diaglog boxes.

12A. reopen web UI interface for router to ensure you are connecting.  CLOSE and your done!

12B. Reopen web browser and check to see if your live.

Repeat this for any devices you need to. I have two laptops, two PC's, a TV and a printer all set with static IPs and works a treat.

Also once this is done you can set port forwarding as needed to assigned devices.

Hope this helps everybody

ChrisBriarwood
Level 4: Private Eye

Like your style.   It is a router. A cheap crappy one too.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now