CrowdSupport®
Banx
Level 2: Rookie

How do I stop Telstra Gen 2 modem(s) from hijacking my web browser?

Answered

Hello, I recently have been connected to the NBN via fibre to the node (only took Telstra 4 months:-). I have connected to the NBN via the node with success using the Telstra Gen 2 modem/router with the wifi turned off and utilising the ethernet ports on the rear of the modem/router. I acquired another Telstra Gen 2 modem/router so that my house mate can use wifi at the other end of the house. I have successfully connected the second Gen 2 to the first Gen 2 using the second modem/router in "bridged mode" connected to an ethernet port on the rear of modem/router 1 from the WAN port on the second modem/router. This allows the second modem/router to operate independently to the first modem/router giving me one modem/router with ethernet only at one end of the house (modem/router 1) and the second modem router (modem/router 2) has only wifi enabled devices running on it at the other end of the house. I have contacted telstra support (132200) on two occasions today and neither of the technicians have a clue what I am telling them about. One guy didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked if my IP address was static or dynamic. The problem I face is that when I access a web browser for the www, the address I type is redirected to either of the two modem gui login pages (alternately modem/router 1 and then modem router 2). This happens sometimes (not all the time) and is very annoying to say the least. What settings or steps do I need to take to rectify this situation. I simply don't want my web address inputs to a web browser hijacked and redirected to the GUI user interface login screens for either of the modem/routers. Thanks for your help and time in sorting this one out. It should be a simple fix (hopefully?).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I stop Telstra Gen 2 modem(s) from hijacking my web browser?

Your public IP address is dynamic unless you are paying $10 extra for a static address. The address will change each time modem is rebooted.

The browser should only get redirected to modem if there is a fault on the link. At the moment when you try to navigate to a URL the DNS request go to 192.168.01. As both modems have same IP address it could go to either modem. To stop this happening you could try changing the LAN IP address of second router to 192.168.0.2 so that both have different IP address.

You could also try changing the DNS server in the first modem using drop down menu at Advanced > Local Network. Change both IPv4 and IPv6, save settings and reboot modem. Any connected device will now send DNS request directly to the chosen DNS server.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

Your public IP address is dynamic unless you are paying $10 extra for a static address. The address will change each time modem is rebooted.

The browser should only get redirected to modem if there is a fault on the link. At the moment when you try to navigate to a URL the DNS request go to 192.168.01. As both modems have same IP address it could go to either modem. To stop this happening you could try changing the LAN IP address of second router to 192.168.0.2 so that both have different IP address.

You could also try changing the DNS server in the first modem using drop down menu at Advanced > Local Network. Change both IPv4 and IPv6, save settings and reboot modem. Any connected device will now send DNS request directly to the chosen DNS server.

View solution in original post

Banx
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you so much for your response.  10/10 , 100%  This has remedied the situation.

I also turned off the DHCP and UPNP but am not sure if this is in any way associated with the problem I was having.  I also changed the DNS to google.  So 4 hours to Telstra techs yesterday got ZERO answers and 1 post to the crowd support with one response and a 100 percent success.  TELSTRA, TRAIN YOUR TECHNICIANS BETTER!!!

Thank you again.

Glad to here youre problem is fixed. I would not recommend turning of DHCP in the first modem as device without a static IP address configured on device will not be able to connect.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now