CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How do you disable 4G backup on an NBN smart modem

Answered

I want to get rid of wifi and just use my fibre to the home connected NBN. How do I disable the wifi backup on the smart modem? As far as Telstra can tell me, I need to remove the sim card from the modem. Will this just disable the wifi and leave the NBN connection still working through fibre? Where is the sim card, and how do I remove it? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Jasmine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: How do you disable 4G backup on an NBN smart modem

You're a genius!! Thank you so very much - I did as you said and the wifi light went out. I will read the document section also, as I want to understand as much as I can about it.

I'm so very grateful!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Removing the SIM card will only disable 4G back, normal connection and WiFi will still work. SIM card is located on bottom of modem. On Gen 1 modem there is a lable over the sim card remove lable to get access to SIM card. The backup can also be disabled in the Modem's GUI on the Technicolor modems at Advanced > Mobile  > Configuration.

To disable WiFi press WiFi button. WiFi light should turn off.

Highlighted

Thanks so much for your reply - I looked for the sim card - took off a label on the side of the modem that listed the wifi name, wifi password, but there was nothing underneath it. I've also tried pressing the wifi button on the side, but the light never goes out. The model number on the modem is F@st 5355, if that helps. I'll now try and find the advanced-mobile-configuration, which I assume is somewhere on my telstra page.

Highlighted

That modem does not have 4G backup.  It is the Telstra gateway. To turn of WiFi you have to press and hold WiFi button for about 5 seconds. See section 13 on document attached to this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Sagemcon-F-st-5355-Manual/m-p/643374

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You're a genius!! Thank you so very much - I did as you said and the wifi light went out. I will read the document section also, as I want to understand as much as I can about it.

I'm so very grateful!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I would advise anyone having issues with the F@ST 5355 Telstra modem to read this document - it is well-written and very comprehensive. Shame on Telstra for not producing such an excellent document themselves. All credit to the writer for being so generous with his knowledge.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more