CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Wright19
Level 1: Cadet

How does the Signal work on the NBN Gateway Modem?

Answered

Hi,

We've had the Telstra Gateway Modem for about a year, and every now and again the signal bar on the top of the modem goes from yellow to red. We normally get a yellow signal most of the time, but recently I have noticed the modem switching between yellow to red. Specifically on very hot days, or if something like the cooler is on in the house. 

To get an idea of where the modem is placed, it's basically placed in the middle of the house, on top of a cabinet with a few things around it normally.IMG_3908.JPG

What exactly does the signal lite do? If we have a red signal but broadband working, does that mean that our internet will be slow? I haven't noticed any speed issues, but just thought I would ask. What could be causing this issue?, I am afraid to power start the modem up again, and it will mess up my system. If anyone has any ideas that would be extremely helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: How does the Signal work on the NBN Gateway Modem?

The signal light just represents the strength of the 4G signal that the modem receives in order to use the 4G backup. The 4G backup is capped at 6/1 and you can get those speeds on green or orange signal strength.

Green is good
Yellow/orange is average
Red is poor
Off is no signal
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

There are a number of reasons the signal strength will vary. It could be interference from electro mechanical devices  such as air conditioners or radiation from other radio devices. The signal strength does not only measure the actual amplitude of the received signal but the quality of the received signal and even if the amplitude stays the same strong electro magnetic radiation decreases the noise margin and hence the quality of received signal.

On my modem the light fluctuates between green and orange.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

The signal light just represents the strength of the 4G signal that the modem receives in order to use the 4G backup. The 4G backup is capped at 6/1 and you can get those speeds on green or orange signal strength.

Green is good
Yellow/orange is average
Red is poor
Off is no signal
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Wright19

Thanks for your reply. What would be or what could be the reasoning it's changing from yellow to red?
Accepted Solution

There are a number of reasons the signal strength will vary. It could be interference from electro mechanical devices  such as air conditioners or radiation from other radio devices. The signal strength does not only measure the actual amplitude of the received signal but the quality of the received signal and even if the amplitude stays the same strong electro magnetic radiation decreases the noise margin and hence the quality of received signal.

On my modem the light fluctuates between green and orange.

Wright19

Thank you. So it's not really an issue for concern unless the modem goes into backup mode? Assuming the modem stays on the broadband network, it shouldn't really affect anything? 

No it should effect the normal connection only the back up connection.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now