Highlighted
philbot
Level 2: Rookie

How to connect Netgear D7800 to FTTN NBN

Answered

Hi All

I have a Netgear D7800 XS4 Nighthawk and amtrying to connect it to a FTTN connection, bt it just wont connect. i cant see why it wont, It  is NBN co verified and has the correct firmware and can connect to a VDSL connection. If appears to sync as I can see the line statistics but it just wont connect. I have my Bigpond D etc in there as it was connected for ADSL through Telstra.

Can anyone offer any help please.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How to connect Netgear D7800 to FTTN NBN

You need to change the connection type from PPOE/PPOA to IPOE. Telstra NBN connections don't require a user name and password.

See image below for settings

Netgear_D7800.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Accepted Solution

You need to change the connection type from PPOE/PPOA to IPOE. Telstra NBN connections don't require a user name and password.

See image below for settings

Netgear_D7800.JPG

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

It is not enough for a modem to just have VDSL2 support – it must support all of the required nbn features and have them switched on.

Is there a way for you to verify in the NETGEAR configuration that you have selected these?
1. G.Vector Enabled
2. G.INP Enabled
3. VDSL Profile 17a
4. Annex A
All these are selectable in ASUS router. Please note they are just some of the parameters, I have not listed all of them.

I personally use Telstra Gateway to connect to FTTN and I do not need to worry about all these. I also need VOIP landline.

philbot

I don't think that that option was in the router menu. Only PPOE or PPOA?
W201
Level 14: Field Agent

Do you have the option to use setup wizard?. Select country Australia and select provider Telstra and dynamic IP.

ASUS is more user configurable..

Please refer
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7800/D7800_UM_15Sep2015.pdf
page 59

See edited post for how to set up gateway.

philbot

Thanks Guys

Got it running last night :-)

Cheers

pan111

Would you like to share what you did? It's driving me crazy

philbot

Just follow the set up below, obviously change it to australia, then you isp.

Netgear_D7800.JPG

Just follow these, change to australia and your ISP. and take the login details out and then go back and test the connection and it should hook up. Is the modem Syncing to start with?

philbot

Also make sure that your firmware is up to date
PeteA
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you so much for this solution! I was about to return a $500 modem because I couldnt connect to FTTN. Excellent help

ted45

Hi everyone

I know I'm a bit late to this conversation but I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed a drop in connection speed?

I've moved from the default Telstra modem over to my Netgear D7800, followed the setup as per cf4's instructions and all is working.

However, prior to swapping modems I was getting download speeds between 45mbps - 50mbps.

Since I've started using my D7800 I now only get 3mbps - 6mbps

A drastic reduction is speed.

Anyone have an idea why this should be or how I can resolve it?

philbot

What speed is it syning at, if its still syncing at the same speed as the telstra modem was its a modem issue. if not it could be a line issue, then plug the telstra one in and see if its synging on the lower speed to. When I connected mine it synced at virtually the same speed as the telstra modem.

Failing that look at the QOS settings to see if you ar throtlling a device in the settings.

@ted45

Have you selected Australia as the country and Bigpond as the internet provider?

ted45

Dang it, it was the Dynamic QOS settings causing the issue.

Good catch by philbot, I would have never thought of checking that.

Cheers everyone and thanks for your help.

Khan26

Hi

Gone through the post.thanks.when I first connected to d7800 on nbn. It started perfectly. An hour later I upgrade the firmware. So it's stop working(thought firmware upgrade not compatible). I tried every thing in settings so factory reset it. Wasted 2 hours with netgear support nothings worked . When I tried connecting Telstra modem back which is also a netgear v7610 model. Though it showed all lights on but three of of machines mac and Windows failed to pick Wi-Fi and through Ethernet cable. Telstra support 2 hrs phone chst suggested they will send new modem but in the meantime i factory reset the Telstra modem and it started working and picked by machines . Now as I was frustrated with all .I tried d7800 again and followed the post .nothing happen.went back to Telstra modem and Telstra modem started behaving same as mentioned. Have to reset and make it works. Now it's looks like connecting d7800 and failing it send bad signal to base in nbn and Telstra modem need to reset. Technically it looks stupid that how a modem failure is effecting other modem but I am facing it with surprised and frustrated feelings. Don't know anybody can fix it but thought will write at least. My first post on the forum Smiley Happy netgear d7800 need to go in the binSmiley Sad
kbnet

Same as Khan26,had a functioning nighthawk D7800 for the first hour, then upgraded firmware and now the modem/router does not even sense a DSL cable connection. Bizarre. I sense a firmware issue introducing an incompatibility with the NBN fttn service? Any ideas?

Have you tried installing an earlier version of the firmware? There are earlier versions Netgear Support Site Click on the + at the bottom to see previous versions.

Slippery2au

Hi

I have just loaded the lastest firmware for my Nighthawk x4s and now i can log onto the net at all. I was reading your notes and you mentioned that you need to change the connection type to IPOE. I have no idea how to do this so could you point me in the general direction and it may help me get back on the net, thank you.

Regards

Henry

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Slippery2au,

I would recommend speaking to our Technical Support Team on 132200 about this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

philbot

LOL. support is limited to reading scripts. Why do you think people come here?

philbot

do you have it set for no login required on a VDSL in the connection page. If you have it set to no login I think it will just default to IPOE

Slippery2au

Well I just spent an hour with Netgear tech support to try and resolve this but had no luck. I asked if they had heard anything in regards to this problem and they said no. It wasn't until I had spent 50 minutes on the phone that I was told they have a major issue with the firmware and will have to get back to me after they figure out how to repair it. Thanks to all for your help. If I get back on line soon I'll detail the settings and what needed to be done to overcome this. I just thought about the hour to the US on my mobile. I don't know what's going to hurt most, no internet or the phone bill. Lol
jeffhsmith

I finally got my replacement D7800 to work again after reverting back from firmware "V1.0.1.24" to firmware revision "V1.0.1.16".

I updated both my original D7800 and the replacement D7800  modems to V1.0.1.24. That upgrade seems to have broken both modems  when attempting to connect to VDSL (NBN). The original still worked with ADSL at revision 1.0.1.24.

The replacement modem came with firmware V1.0.1.16 at it worked at first attempt.

I was then prompted by the modem to upgrade the firmware to V1.0.1.24.

That upgrade was immediately followed by the D7800 falling to sync with VDSL.

Same symptoms as the original D7800 had after going from ADSL to VDSL (NBN) (firmware was 1.0.1.24). 

I had by then obtained a backup (non Netgear) modem and downloaded the as supplied V1.0.1.16 firmware.

The D7800 modem worked again as it did immediately after arrival.

Various firmware versions are downloadable from a Netgear Support web page.

The V1.0.1.16 firmware version may have a security vulnerability.

Not sure yet if any later firmware version works with VDSL and improves the firmware issues with 1.0.1.16.

I'm become a little Netgear firmware upgrade cautious right now.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now