CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
techgirl
Level 2: Rookie

How to connect multiple routers on my network and which ones to bridge

Answered

The more I reserach the more confused I get.We recently moved into a new house and have been having internet issues. my old set up was not working in the new house. I think the problem was my router (Netgear  CG3100D-2  supplied by Bigpond) was located in a room far away from all my other devices which meant a weak connection with too many interfrences/obstructions at the otherside of the house where all the devices are that need to connect. to overcome this I have added a wireless wifi extender (Netgear nighthawk EX7000). It is showing a very strong signal.

I then have a Apple time capsule which I have connected via ethernet to the extender.  (used to have it connected to the router in my old set up) .The TC is in bridge mode and connects using DHCP. I have created a  wireless network using the TC as a base station. I have 3 Airport expresses that connect to the TC and 3 apple TVS.  I also have a synology NAS drive that I want to connect to my network.  Should I be connecting it by ethernet to the Extender or to the time capsule? in my old set up it was connected to the TC.  Which ever way I connect it, when I run the connection wizard it come up telling me I have more than 2 routers on my network and I need to fix it. What am I doing wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: How to connect multiple routers on my network and which ones to bridge

@techgirl Well this is kinda what i was suggesting altholugh i probably woud have a 15 meter ethernet cord attached for best placement 

" If I turn off wifi on the telstra router the only way I can  connect to it is then via ethernet which means I literally have to have the nighthawk extender sitting next to it."

@techgirl given the specs of these can you please buy me a couple pretty please with cherry on top Smiley Tongue

That night hawk has 1600mg bandwidth my pissy netgear ac1600 only has 300mg wifi bandwidth

it also has a proposed area coverage range of 10,000 feet or 3048 meters, Hell i could nearly reach my main street with that range (yes  i live a small country town)

if you then add those expresses you should be more than well covered surely.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23

@techgirl from personal experience with 1 apple item I would suggest you run all apple stuff through the Netgear nighthawk EX7000.

I believe you will need to turn off DHCP on the Netgear nighthawk EX7000 and give it a fixed IP in the Telstra Modem. 

so if gatway id 192.168.0.1 and Netgear nighthawk EX7000 as 192.168.0.6 (set as reserved/ fixed)

Wifi should probably be turned off in the telstra modem and let the Netgear nighthawk EX7000 do the heavy lifiting.

The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Furthermore, any additional routers (to the one that is doing your local network's DHCP) should be in extender or access point (AP) mode.  This way, your device is just connecting to it with better signal and it's forwarding all the route traffic from the main router.

You might need to take a few steps backward and consider your network as a whole...   
Where is the internet connection in the house?  
What is going to be the gateway?
Is this gateway going to be the DHCP router for the LAN as well or just sit in bridged mode?
What's the main router's wifi quality, speed and capacity compared to the other routers - is it the best one to use?
Are all additional routers and extenders in access point mode, or do I really want seperate subnets?
Are all wireless broadcasting devices using the same SSID to broadcast (I'd advise against this) or I setting up each SSID with an identifiable name as to determine which location I should be connecting to from 'x' spot in the building?

And so on...

May a network diagram would help you here.

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
techgirl

How do I go about turning wifi off the telstra router? Am i effectively turning it into a bridge?

techgirl

Im confused. I really dont want to use the telstra netgear router at all as its just not powerful enough.  I want the wifi extender to do all the heavy lifting. When I tried turning off DHCP on the telstra router and putting it in bridge mode I lost my internt connection

The-OG-Reece

What routers, extenders and modems do you have?  List them all please (make and model).

What internet service do you have?  ADSL, Cable, NBN FTTP/FTTN/WIFI...

techgirl

Bigpond cable

Netgear cable home network gateway CG3100D-2BPAUS

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi range extender EX7000

3TB Apple Time capsule

Imac x2

3 x airport expresses

3 x apple tvs

1 x synology NAS drive DS213

@techgirl first mistake was turning off dhcp on Telstra modem

1) phone line/ nbn connection into Telstra modem.

2) in Telstra modem turn off WIFI connections DO NOT turnoff DHCP.

3)plug Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi range extender EX7000 into port port 1 of Telstra Modem

4) in Telstra Modem set Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi range extender EX7000 to a fixed IP number 

5) set air express extenders to Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi range extender EX7000

ie if Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 has sid/wifi name of nighthawk_08 air express would be EXT_ nighthawk_08

or maybe this will help

The-OG-Reece

You shouldn't need to put the CG3100 in bridge mode.  Set it up as per Telstra's recommended instruction.  This way you can avoid any unforseen service hiccups and Telstra can support you better.

Place the Nighthawk in a location where the CG3100's wifi network has good signal strength but is far enough from it to give a decent wifi broadcast extension.  Have it in access point mode, so that the CG3100 is doing DHCP and routing.

Plug your NAS and the Time Capsule into the GB ethernet ports on the Nighthawk.

I'm not sure you really need the airports, unless you plan on extending the network even further...  if you do use them, plug them into the nighthawk (or connect them to its wifi).

Everything wifi, or anything you want to have fast access to the NAS and TimeCapsule, should connect via the nighthawk's wifi or ethernet.

Basically, the CG3100 is doing your internet routing and your nighthawk is doing the internal LAN (with the exception of DHCP).  Everything connected to the nighthawk will be talking by its initial IP from the CG3100, and then using ARP and MAC addresses for communication from there on and will operate via the Nighthawk only.  It only accesses the CG3100 for a new IP lease or if DNS sends it there to access the internet.

I hope this helps.

The-OG-Reece

@cretsiah - close to what I suggested, but by connecting the nighthawk to the CG3100 over ethernet, she doesn't get any wifi coverage expansion if they're squirrelled away in some corner of the house. But for the most part, the same config.

@The-OG-Reece with all those extenders she cant be to worried about the wifi radiation lol..... maybe she lives in a small town and wants to reach the main street with the wifi??

techgirl

Ha! The night hawk is a recent addition, my past configuration was just airport expresses spread out htroughout the house, its main clients being apple tvs. in this house the internet connection is squirrelled away in a far corner of the house, to far from everything that was connecting, which started me on this journey. maybe with the nighthawk I wont need the expresses. we will see. when I get a child free moment ill investigate your suggested metghods and let you know!

techgirl

@The-OG-Reecein theory that all sounds good but It seems the only way the nighthawk extender can be set up in access point mode is via an ethernet connection to my router which then provides  no extension to my network. is there a way of doing this via wifi?  Thanks for your help

techgirl

@cretsiah  If I turn off wifi on the telstra router the only way I can  connect to it is then via ethernet which means I literally have to have the nighthawk extender sitting next to it.  so I dont actually get any extension to my network. is there a way of doing it without ethernet? thanks

Accepted Solution

@techgirl Well this is kinda what i was suggesting altholugh i probably woud have a 15 meter ethernet cord attached for best placement 

" If I turn off wifi on the telstra router the only way I can  connect to it is then via ethernet which means I literally have to have the nighthawk extender sitting next to it."

@techgirl given the specs of these can you please buy me a couple pretty please with cherry on top Smiley Tongue

That night hawk has 1600mg bandwidth my pissy netgear ac1600 only has 300mg wifi bandwidth

it also has a proposed area coverage range of 10,000 feet or 3048 meters, Hell i could nearly reach my main street with that range (yes  i live a small country town)

if you then add those expresses you should be more than well covered surely.

View solution in original post

techgirl

@cretsiah.so your suggesting the nighthawk may have a better range than my current crappy router even if it just sitting next to it?

@techgirl oh yes definetly 

although its my sons internet im using im talking to you from a wifi range of 20-25m from the modem he uses.....

although we have alot of weatherboard houses around here and you might have bricks and mortar even if you halved that range should be able to run everything on it.

(hell we are still on adsl)

if the proposed range on it holds to be true:

if he had 2 of your nighthawks he could drop 1 in at his girlfriends house (as an extender)  and cancel his mobile plan lol.

The-OG-Reece

If you connect the Nighthawk to the 3100's wifi and place it at a good location, you should be able to configure it as I suggested.  I've just read through the device's manual (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000_UM_21dec2014.pdf) and it appears this doesn't actually do any DHCP serving at all.  Once you've connected it, you should be good to do.
I think we've all been getting confused with the Nighthawk R series as these are routers and will do everything (including wireless repeating (http://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater?cid=wmt_ne...), whereas you have a Nighthawk extender, which IS a wireless repeater.

@techgirl @The-OG-Reece is right so here is a crappy drawing to try and show you.

nighthawk ex7000 AP mode

This one above is AP Mode as the ethernet ports on the nighthawk ex7000 become disabled in this mode

Down below is wifi only version

nighthawk ex7000 wifi mode

In this version due to weak signal of telstra modem wifi, the nighthawk probably no more than 5-10 meters from the telstra modem.

hope that helps

@techgirl reason I suggest using the AP mode is

well lets just say

driving a ferrari up the back end of a VW bug (and the only bug I know of that can take on a ferrari is the Love Bug Herbie lol)

or dropping a mining dump truck on a mini 

its messy and your telstra wifi will be screaming in pain from the wifi overload your nighthawk can give it..

nighthawk bandwidth 1900mg ----->funnelled into Telstra modems 300-600mg bandwidth yeh messy

techgirl

@cretsiah 

all working  a treat going by your suggestion to plug in the nighthawk extender directly to the telstra router. The range is much better than the telstra supplied. Only thing I havent worked out is how to get the apple time capsule added to the network. everytime I try and set it up it wants to create a new network rather than be added to an existing. I guess Im really now only using it for back ups (as it wasnt powerful enough as an extender), however I want it to back up all the macs on my network not just one, and would rather not have it connected by ethernet to the macs.

@techgirl Um yeh now i have managed to find out a lil bit more about the time capsule.

I now know why you were having double router issues....

If you could point me to a manual on that thing then maybe we could get it fixed up a little bit or from what i can currently gather about it 

Heres another little crappy pic Smiley Very Happy

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi range extender EX7000 is now in wifi Extender mode

Apple Time Capsule setup.jpg

@techgirl now you also got 3 air expresses you can sell off Smiley LOL

techgirl

@cretsiah  I think Ive done it. I ended up connecting via ethernet from the netgear nighthawk extender LAN to Time capsule WAN.  I had to set it up like I was using it to extend my network and use it as the base station. once set up I could then log into it and change the settings ie. turn off Wireless and put into bridge mode. I think it would have helped if Apples instructions during set up were more clear on the steps

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now