CrowdSupport®
Maho2
Level 2: Rookie

How to set up DLink 3rd party modem?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help, our cctv is not working remotely using our current modem which is the latests Telstra modem. The cctv company as recommended getting another modem which we have done but its my first time setting one up, apparently you don't just plug it in and go!!

We purchased a Dlink DSL-3785 to take over from our Telstra modem. We have NBN don't know if that makes things different and I don't know what ISP information to use. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: How to set up DLink 3rd party modem?

What Telstra modem did you have? The only one you might have had trouble with is the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 Smart modem (LH1000) due to its lack of support for NAT loop back.

When setting up the Dlink for Telstra NBN connection use the wizard and if FTTN/B set the WAN access type to VDSL and set Internet connection type to Dynamic IP address page 13 and 14 of manual

Maho2

I have the Telstra smart modem Gen 2 not sure what version though, it’s pretty new not even a year old. 

I tried those settings with the Dlink and we seem to have an issue connecting to the internet just getting a big red x each time!! 

What type of NBN connection do you have is it FTTN/B were the DSL port on the modem plugs into a phone socket?

In the Image below the Arcadyan modem is the one on the right without the vent holes in the side.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

Maho2

My Telstra modem is the one with the vents.. should this be strong enough for the cctv? we find the cctv will play on everything except through our phones, so anything it is directly linked to is fine but wireless to our phones is not. 

Yes thats the type of NBN we have it links from the phone line to the NBN box thing that then plugs into the back of the modem though a wan cable... Hope that makes sense. Ive also changed the modem to a tplink VR400

The cctv should work with that modem.

When you say you can't connect with phones on wireless do you mean when the phones are using cellular data and not connected to the modems WiFi. If the phones can't connect using cellular data might have to open some ports on the modem. What is the model of the cctv?

Highlighted
Maho2

Dorani is the brand of cctv. Doesn’t work on our phones with either cellular or WiFi! We’ve been told it’s a modem issue but that could be bs. 

What model number is the CCTV?

Are you able to view the cameras using a web browser on a PC?

Maho2

I can view it via the tv where it is hooked up to also. Its not supported for a web browser. I'm thinking its a cctv issue as it use to work fine but stopped when we connected it to the tv. But when they came out they blamed it on the modem which is why I have tried to change it. When trying to load cameras through the app it states that their is a network error. 

Its a Dorani IP Viewer Version 2.1 (don't know if that helps, can't seem to find model number)

Our nbn is FTTC, still can't get that connected to new modem. 

Dorani IP Viewer Version 2.1 is used for all the Dorani CCTV systems.

It definitely looks like it could be a cctv if it worked until you plugged a TV into the cctv. If you disconnect TV can you connect to the cctv using the app.

The first thing to check is that the cctv is connected to the modem. To do this log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 (Default password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Devices. The cctv should appear in the listed of connected devices with an IPv4 address.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now