CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DTN1995
Level 1: Cadet

How to set up router on Smart Modem gen 2?

Answered

Hi i just got connected to nbn network and i bought a router but it wont connect to the modem, the router fails to connect on DHCP and ive tried my static ip details and PPPoE details but they dont work, any ideas? thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: How to set up router on Smart Modem gen 2?

If you are using router in router mode with the WAN port of router connected to a LAN port of the Telstra Smart Modem use DHCP. It is probably failing because the LAN Address Range of of your router is in the same subset as the  Smart Modem (192.168.0.xx}. If this is the case suggest you change the LAN address range of router (example 192.168.10.xx).

It is not recommended that you use the router in router mode as there will be two NATs. Much better to use the router as an access point with its DHCP server turned of and using the same address range as Smart Modem. There is probably a special setting in the router for using it as access point.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

If you are using router in router mode with the WAN port of router connected to a LAN port of the Telstra Smart Modem use DHCP. It is probably failing because the LAN Address Range of of your router is in the same subset as the  Smart Modem (192.168.0.xx}. If this is the case suggest you change the LAN address range of router (example 192.168.10.xx).

It is not recommended that you use the router in router mode as there will be two NATs. Much better to use the router as an access point with its DHCP server turned of and using the same address range as Smart Modem. There is probably a special setting in the router for using it as access point.

DTN1995

hi! thanks for the reply but im so confused, i bought a router to be the central location for my wifi and to connect my pc to the internet because my modem is installed near my front door which is heaps far from everything, so im not sure what mode im supposed to be in or what my settings are supposed to be because i thought it was just plug n play :/ 

if u could guide me through a simple procedure for basic settings that would be much appreciated thanks for your time 

Normally it is just plug and play to set router up as a router but in some cases were the modem and router have same address range you have to change some settings. Also using a router behind another modem router will give you internet access but because of the two NATs it creates problems in some apps.

Before I can give you instructions I need a bit more information.

What make and model router do you have. Do you a Ethernet cable from your modem to were you want to place the router and what type of NBN do you have (HFC, FTTN/B, FTTP, FTTC or fixed radio)?

DTN1995

thanks so much for your time i played around with the settings, and made sure everything was to be assigned by the ISP and it worked, the default settings were all over the place! thanks again Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now