CrowdSupport®
Nate8
Level 2: Rookie

I changed my Telstra password, then logged into my ADSL modem to update it, no connection

Answered

I updated my telstra Personal password, which in the past has also been the password my Netgear Modem uses, for my ADSL2+ connection.

After changing my password on the telstra page, my internet connection stopped. Which I expected.

When I log into modem, and then go to change internet password to be the same, it does not work.. Remain Disconnected D6200, with latest firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: I changed my Telstra password, then logged into my ADSL modem to update it, no connection

I'd recommend calling Big pond on 13 22 00 and asking for your password to be reset, enter that password then don't customise it.
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: I changed my Telstra password, then logged into my ADSL modem to update it, no connection

Are you sure you entered the correct password? Try entering password again incase you mistyped the password the first time.

Accepted Solution

I'd recommend calling Big pond on 13 22 00 and asking for your password to be reset, enter that password then don't customise it.
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Nate8

Issue was a black box one.
They ended up changing password for me.. This then worked.. It was meant to only impact Internet connection, but it impacted my Telstra main login..!!

I changed online password twice personally, and it would not register on modem.

Morale of the story is don't change your personal password, when using ADSL2+. It breaks things.. Network somehow goes out of SYNC. It was only the online help that could change it, and make it work.

Nate8

I used online chat to the same effect.
I agree, don't change yourself, breaks something. 
I changed online password twice to no avail.

As soon as consultant did, it took me two secs to update modem, and have it working.

Painful...

I would not accept not being able to customise my password. Letting other people have access to your password especially people in an overseas call centre is a security hazard?

cborn

Same thing happened to me yesterday, except that the original password change that broke things was done by one of the Chat Support people last week when setting things up so I could access smtp. This broke my ADSL PPP authentication, and despite them changing it twice more, the connection didn't work.

Then yesterday another Chat Support person changed my ADSL PPP password and the smtp (Bigpond Mail) one, to two different passwords, she said she broke the connection between the two. Anyway both are working now and I don't want to change anything for fear of breaking it!

I did try the new PPP username/password on my Fritz!Box (the "SmartModem" Gen 2 LH1000 is annoyingly dumb), DSL synced up but the CHAP authentication failed. Are these somehow locked to the Telstra supplied modem?

The authentication is not tied to a Telstra modem. It should work with a non Telstra modem.Do you have an ADSL connection or a NBN connection? A NBN connection does not require a user name and password. If on NBN set Fritz box for IPOE type connection.

cborn

It is an ADSL connection. Same line was running ADSL from aaNet to the FitzBox before the change to Telstra last week, so I would think the upstream HW is the same. The FitzBox get DSL sync as it did before, shows the upstream HW (Broadcom), but fails to authenticate to PPPoE (using the same username/pw that is working for CHAP Auth in the LH1000)

In the fritz box Internet > Account Information > Internet Tab>  Change connection settings is?

Use "VLAN for internet access" not ticked

VPI set to 8

VCI set to 35

cborn

I got those settings from a previous post, I think it was one of yours - thanks!

I had the VPI and VCI set as shown, anyway. When set to AUTO it picked them up for itself, I had another go set to manual just to make sure.

I also tried each of the encapsulation methods.

But the problem seemed to be with the CHAP Authentication, not the DSL.

I did have a thought - as the Smartmodem had dropped back to 4G, would that connection be blocking the ADSL login? I wouldn't have thought so as the Smartmodem connects via ADSL before dropping 4G, but still...

Best to turn modem off before disconnecting DSL because if modem is powered off after disconnecting DSL and it has had time to switch to 4G backup the Telstra backend assumes the modem is still on 4G backup until the next time it is powered on and connected to DSL. You will keep getting text messages warning you that modem is in backup mode.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now